alcarterra

dog spaying question

We are taking our puppy to be spayed tomorrow and we have the option to get (or not to get) the collar for afterwards. This is our first puppy and we are aware of the benefits of the collar, but are wondering if it is really necessary (being we have the option to not get it). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

team swooo
swooo #2

It really depends on the dog. If they chew the stitches open while you are gone they will die. It is pretty simple....

Having said that, I took the collar off my little girl after her standing in one spot after we brought her home for 2 hours with it on, not moving :S. But having said that, I was home and off work to keep an eye on her....she did ok, but not all dogs will do that. Most will want to chew that stuff off. :|

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

If you don't get the e-collar, you need to ensure that she is constantly monitored to prevent her licking the incision and reopening it. If it gets reopened, she'll have to be knocked out again to stitch it closed - not fun for her nor your wallet. E-collars are not that expensive when you compare it to another doctor visit, resuturing the incision, additional meds to knock her out and control the pain, etc.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

By collar are you talking about the collar they have you put around the neck so the puppy can't lick the stitches?

If so, I suggest not. I work at a vet's office and we only give out collars if the puppy has been licking at the stitches overnight. Most times, the puppy doesn't. Besides, an old t-shirt works just as good, and is a lot cheaper. I'm sure you have an old skydiving t-shirt that will fit her just fine.

I do suggest that you keep an eye on the puppy's stitches and watch out for any signs of an infection. Keep her as calm as you can for about a week to ten days.

I also suggest having your puppy microchipped while she's out for her surgery.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

My cat has been wearing one of the collars for 9 days now (hopefully she'll get it off tomorrow). She had an abcessed anal gland and still managed to get the drain out somehow with the collar on. It's been funny and pathetic at the same time watching her live with it. It's so sad to see her "clean" herself, when all she's doing is licking the inside of the collar!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I got Lucy spayed on a Thursday, and brought her home on Friday after work. So luckily I had the weekend with her. They said if I see her licking to come back in for the collar (but that T-shirt idea is great!) if I can't get her to stop. They said she probably won't lick because the stitches that they used are done from the inside, so it doesn't itch as bad as it used to "back in the day". I didn't have a single problem with licking and it was a joy to have a dormat 6 month old English Springer Spaniel for a few days.;)

Bob Barker thanks you!

It's so sad to see her "clean" herself, when all she's doing is licking the inside of the collar!

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Oh the stories I could tell you about some of the things I've seen at the clinic.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

The vet put an e-collar on my cat when I brought her home from the clinic. I kept it on her for a few days, but I was so heart broken trying to watch her eat and clean herself (like skymama said, she would lick the inside of her collar). I took it off, but almost immediately she started licking her wounds. I tried to stop her as much as I could, but I still had to take her back to the vet to get the incision checked out. If you're going to be home with her, just watch her closely. If you're going to be at work, etc., I would put it on before you leave.

But, then again, my post is based on previous experience... Good luck with the decision.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

The collars are about $6-$20. Just get the thing, and put it on her if she's licking, and when you're not home to watch her.

I totally agree. We have had to reuse ours like four times on our dog, Billy Bob, over the past few years. He would nibble himself raw from skin dryness or other reasons and the collar always allowed him to heal properly and let the medication do it's job without being licked off. We have never had to use one on our cat.

I just recently had my puppy spayed. I didn't have to deal with the collar becasue I had her sapyed while I was out of town and she was boarded at the Vet's office. It just worked out best for all of us.

Anyway, I agree with whoever said to have the puppy microchipped during the spaying. That is what we did with my puppy. They explained to me that on small puppies the needle they use for microchipping can be so big that it is better to do that while they are under. My puppy also had two baby teeth pulled. I guess that is also common with small dogs.

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

I got Lucy spayed on a Thursday, and brought her home on Friday after work. So luckily I had the weekend with her. They said if I see her licking to come back in for the collar (but that T-shirt idea is great!) if I can't get her to stop. They said she probably won't lick because the stitches that they used are done from the inside, so it doesn't itch as bad as it used to "back in the day". I didn't have a single problem with licking and it was a joy to have a dormat 6 month old English Springer Spaniel for a few days.;)

Bob Barker thanks you!

Are we talking about your dog or you?:P
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.