swedishcelt

April is Autism Month

April is Autism awareness month. I got this today & tried to check it out w/ snopes to see if money was actually being donated, or if it was an “urban legend”. I watched it and whether money is donated or not, it’s a message that touches a lot of families, especially mine.

Supposedly, each time this video is viewed the group will donate .49 for autism research. If you know that it's a scam please let us know and I will edit this post if necessary.

Five for Fighting Autism Video
I hope it's okay to do this or isn't a repost, I tried to check.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but don't you think it's a little ironic that there were no replies to this thread?:|

Chris

That is just sad that no one is replying to this thread! We should support Autism! I have three nephews with autism. I going to go watch the video just in case it will donate. You should too! ;)

I don't mean to be insensitive, but don't you think it's a little ironic that there were no replies to this thread?:|

Chris

Well, if I did something wrong then I apologize... I was more impressed with the message of the video not the band or anything else. just knowing it's an important cause... B| sigh.

Well, if I did something wrong then I apologize... I was more impressed with the message of the video not the band or anything else. just knowing it's an important cause... B| sigh.

Swedish, you did nothing wrong! Thanks for posting this. I'm glad you did. I think Chris was just joking around a little. Guys are like that, you know.

I'm going to forward that site to my sister-in-law.

John

Chris

Hey! I replied to this thread yesterday and just realized that my post...got deleted??? Hmm. Maybe it was because of the tongue-in-cheek "thought you were gonna tell us to run around in circles" comment. I was only joking (and said so).

I have a cousin and a niece with autism. Thanks for posting this. I think that more of us than not probably are touched by autism or something in its spectrum.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

My youngest son has Asperger's Syndrome (sometimes referred as high-functioning autism) He wasn't diagnosed until he was 20 when I was working with autistic kids and noticed similarities between the AS kids and my son. I talked to the Pyschologist and she said I should have him tested. Yep, he had Asperger's Syndrome. Well, at least now we know and so does he. It helps his world make more sense.

In the USA, 1 out of 94 boys born today will have autism. It is a growing epidemic and we don't know what causes this. Some say genetics, others say vaccinations, but we still don't know. We need to put money into this and stop it like we did polio when I was a kid.

steveOrino

1 out of 94 boys born today will have autism. It is a growing epidemic and we don't know what causes this. Some say genetics, otehrs say vaccinations, but we still don't know.

I wonder how much of its increasing incidence is due to recognition. In the past, only the kids who were most severely affected were diagnosed. I have a cousin like that. Kids like my niece (and probably your son) who are more mildly affected probably wouldn't have been called autistic 30 years ago...and I doubt that Asperger's, or high-functioning autism, was even considered.

Either way, it amazes me that when the subject of autism comes up, almost everybody has someone they're close to with autism or with an autistic child. It's odd to me that there's not more energy going into this research- and treatment-wise...or maybe there is and I'm just unaware.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

1 out of 94 boys born today will have autism. It is a growing epidemic and we don't know what causes this. Some say genetics, otehrs say vaccinations, but we still don't know.

I wonder how much of its increasing incidence is due to recognition. In the past, only the kids who were most severely affected were diagnosed. I have a cousin like that. Kids like my niece (and probably your son) who are more mildly affected probably wouldn't have been called autistic 30 years ago...and I doubt that Asperger's, or high-functioning autism, was even considered.

Either way, it amazes me that when the subject of autism comes up, almost everybody has someone they're close to with autism or with an autistic child. It's odd to me that there's not more energy going into this research- and treatment-wise...or maybe there is and I'm just unaware.

linz

I think it is due do to the misconception that a person with autism can't be treated. New research is being developed and newer and more effective treatments found every year.

linz

My four-year-old nephew was diagnosed with autism a couple of years ago. My sister has been very diligent about working on the diagnosis early. A year ago he could barely speak. Just a month ago, he and I had our first conversation; I was almost in tears. The progress he's made is incredible.

Thanks to the OP for posting the link and caring about this -- I'll watch the video when I get home. Hopefully we're not far away from even better treatment, finding the cause so preventitive measures can be taken, and (it's okay to dream) possibly even a cure.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I was reading an article about the increased rate of meth abuse and the increased rate of autism having a possible link. Meth is hardcore and does lots of damage to the brain. Imagine a woman partying it up not realizing she is pregnant. Sometimes it takes a month or 2 for a female to even realize she is, so in all that time think how much damage she can do to a developing fetus. I would think the first month or two is pretty important to brain development in a fetus. (am I right?). I found it no coincidence that a friend of friend that does abuse meth had a beautiful little girl, and unfortunately they found out she is autistic.

I had a roommate when I lived in FL that had a baby and somehow I picked up something was not quite right. For some reason, I was the only one he connected to. He would follow me around, just loved me so much, practically ignored his mom. Crazy stuff to go through when you are only 18 years old! But eventually the mom found out what was wrong and he went through therapy. But before that, I was the one that taught the child to talk, count, walk, since he really only would listen to me. I think I got some points on the karma board for that. :)

I have two boys 6 and 3 with Autisum

April is Autisim awaerness month.

It's not a scam John Ondrasik from Five For Fighting has picked the following charities to support and has set up this site for it
http://whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com/

The charities being supported are

Fisher House - Watch the video intro
Breast Cancer 3-Day: Komen for the Cure - Watch the video intro
Save the Children - Watch the video intro
Autism Speaks - Watch the video intro
VH1 Save the Music Foundation - Watch the video intro
NY Police and Fire Widows & Children - Watch the video intro

49 cents will be donated the chartie for watching to assoiciated video so pick them all and pass it on as all the charties listed are a good cause
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Definitely an excellent video...yeah. Definitely.

:D:D:D

That's not funny!
Jaye, kick his ass!:D:P

Where is Jaye? She should be all over this thread! We are the only ones replying to it I think! :o

Ta-da!! Here I am! :)
I haven't been on in about a week...been busy planning my old man's surpsrise party. :P

If anyone wants DETIALED info on Autism, you can click on the link in my sig line, and check out the short video 'Autism Every Day'. *WARNING* it is kinda painful to watch if you have a child somewhere in your life with Autism.

Attached pic of my beautiful Auttie babies...I'd attach the gorgeous pic that Steve Phelps did of them, but I'm on the wrong 'puter, and I'm late leaving for a 4 1/2 hour drive to Spokane. :P:$

Take care, all.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

did walt give the fasion tips ? :P ah the first day of school such a mixed emotions there lol ,

nice looking boys

The first time I saw the video it was hard because it was the first time seeing from the outside other people going through the same things that we deal with.

SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Jaye-

Did you catch the article in Discover magazine last month? It discussed viewing autism as a whole body disease rather than just a brain issue, because so many autistic kids also have digestive and other issues. Apparently, the current thinking is that autism isn't a disease of the brain, it's a disease that affects the brain, along with a lot of other systems. The article was fascinating. If you didn't see it, the website has the article: http://discovermagazine.com/2007/apr/autism-it2019s-not-just-in-the-head

Hey folks,

My deepest apologies for my lame attempt at humor in this thread. I would never make light of any challenge people face in their life. Autism touches so many people these days. I've read articles about the increase in cases of autism. Research needs to be ramped up as this condition is almost an epidemic.

Once again, I apologize.

Chris

My youngest son has Asperger's Syndrome (sometimes referred as high-functioning autism)

Anyone else a fan of "Boston Legal"? They have a recurring character with Asperger's. He is an attorney named "Jerry".
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.