kyleh762

Canopy GPS / Tracking

Can anyone tell me where to find a canopy tracking system? I'm specifically looking for a system that can locate a canopy that has been cut away. I've found several relatively small GPS' for locating people, pets, cars, etc. but none of them seem small enough to attach to a riser. Has anyone else figured this out? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Check the answers in your cross post in General..

Sparky

Topical Posts and Cross-Posting
Posts should be made to the most relevant forum for the topic. The moderators may move posts at any time if there is a forum better suited for the topic in discussion. Do not cross post to multiple forums. Upon cross posting all duplicates including the original post may be removed. Use existing threads on your topic to continue a discussion rather than starting a new one. Posts that are repetitive in nature (i.e. Dead Horses) may be removed or locked at the discretion of the moderators. Please note that discussions about politics, guns and religion are not allowed around The Bonfire. Pull up your soap box at the Speakers Corner for those and other sociological debates.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I orderd one gsm/gps tracker that is about 1.4 cubic inches.
And if my math is somewhat correct thats about the size of 1.2 sqft canopy.

It arrived this morning at the currier but I can't pick it up, I'm going snowboarding soon and won't be home until monday.

There was a kickstarter for one recently...can't remember what they called it. I didn't follow it to the end, but it wasn't off to a good start, and I would be surprised if it funded.

They were asking for quite a bit.. and IMO the product was still way too big for skydiving (and needed a subscription as I remember).

Zlew

There was a kickstarter for one recently...can't remember what they called it. I didn't follow it to the end, but it wasn't off to a good start, and I would be surprised if it funded.

They were asking for quite a bit.. and IMO the product was still way too big for skydiving (and needed a subscription as I remember).

"Get it Back"
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Coclimb

Any updates?

Sure.

I have tried three types of gps trackers and all three has failed because of the forces from the opening.
One failed because the stitches ripped apart.
One failed because the attachmentpoint gave up.
And the third started opening itself because of the forces on the attachementpoint.

I believe the second and third type could work, but because the forces are so strong I think it would just be a matter of time before something else broke.
Even though the gpses are light (30-40 grams) I think they are still to heavy for the forces.

I think what you should be looking at are the light bluetooth trackers with a CR battery.
I have not found one I want to test yet because they at the moment have not enough range in my opinion.
But we'll see what happens.

Hellis

***Any updates?

Sure.

I have tried three types of gps trackers and all three has failed because of the forces from the opening.
One failed because the stitches ripped apart.
One failed because the attachmentpoint gave up.
And the third started opening itself because of the forces on the attachementpoint.

I believe the second and third type could work, but because the forces are so strong I think it would just be a matter of time before something else broke.
Even though the gpses are light (30-40 grams) I think they are still to heavy for the forces.

I think what you should be looking at are the light bluetooth trackers with a CR battery.
I have not found one I want to test yet because they at the moment have not enough range in my opinion.
But we'll see what happens.

Hmm.. where have you been mounting it? Is it possible that there are lower impact mounting points?

Get a ham license and use the APRS system. Many many trackers are available including some weighing as little as 10 grams. http://www.byonics.com/microtrak/mt300.php
https://www.tracksoar.com/tracksoar-comparison/

We use APRS gear on jumps and have no probs with opening shock.

See plot of my latest APRS jump:

http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=16&call=a%2FAF6IM&timerange=3600&tail=900

Nice thing about APRS is your signal is pickled up and relayed all over the place by APRS repeater stations. Many are on high peaks so chances of getting your position data are VERY high. You can see it on your smart phone at www.aprs.fi

Getting a low grade ham license is dirt simple and takes only a couple of hours of study at most. Free study guides abound online. Free sample tests at http://www.eham.net/exams/

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.