Nicolaos

Help from South Africa

Lo there all SA's. I need your help today:

I would like to know if anyone of you has ever dealt with the South African Motot Industry Ombudsman (MIO).
If you have, i would like to know how lenient do you think he is.

My problem is this:
After having bought a Fiat one year ago and getting crap service and eventually Fiat actually returned my car more broken than before AND with a cigarette burn on my seat i requested a refund from Fiat.

They made me two offers:
a)they try and fix my car AGAIN (now the 7th try) or
B) they take the car back and give me a new one but then i must pay in R25000 as my car is now 1 year old.
I told them
a) they can apparently cannot fix the car as they already tried 6 times already,
b) i will not pay anything in as the problems with the car started in the 1st week after i bought the car and the delay was from their part, and
c) i don't want a new car anyway as that would mean dealing with their service (or lack of) again.
i just want a full refund.

The case has now been handed over to the MIO and he will make a decision which will be final.

This morning Fiat mailed another offer to me: they are willing to take the car back and give me a new one and i won't have to pay anything in. If i accept, the MIO will be contacted and told that the matter has been resolved.

Now, do i a) Accept their offer but with that i will have to deal with Fiat again in future for my services,
b) reject their offer and take a chance on what the MIO will decide (his decision is legal and final).

It would help my decision to know how reasonable/lenient/etc the MIO is

Another one of my buddies suggested that i take the new car and then trade it in for another new car (obviously not a Fiat or Alfa). B|

Do you know anyone who would by a Fiat ? :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Another one of my buddies suggested that i take the new car and then trade it in for another new car (obviously not a Fiat or Alfa). B|

Do you know anyone who would by a Fiat ? :|

Hm!
Hey, does anyone on thei forum from SA want to buy a new Fiat for a good price? It is a beautiful car with a service plan and Fiat will give you excellent service?
;):D:ph34r:

(whisper: thanx Nicholas, good idea);)

Now, do i a) Accept their offer but with that i will have to deal with Fiat again in future for my services,
b) reject their offer and take a chance on what the MIO will decide (his decision is legal and final).

Take it. Drive it for a bit and then trade it in for something funkier ... and be sure to take me for a spin!;)

-Chanti-

not having dealt with this ombudsman before, I have no idea how reasonable they are. However, having been in a company who was taken to a different ombudsman, the offer only gets better if the company thinks the ombudsman is likely to find against them and they think the better offer is cheaper than what they will end up paying after the ombudsman's ruling.

Worth finding out what VW will pay as a trade in on whatever Fiat are offering you. If it is a lot less than the full refund, you know what Fiat are trying to save by making you the new offer.

tash

ps - I want to go for a spin too when I'm back later in the year and Chanti will be a properly taken woman with audwiz watching over every move his wife makes ;):P

Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

Worth finding out what VW will pay as a trade in on whatever Fiat are offering you. If it is a lot less than the full refund, you know what Fiat are trying to save by making you the new offer.

tash

ps - I want to go for a spin too when I'm back later in the year and Chanti will be a properly taken woman with audwiz watching over every move his wife makes ;):P

...and where will your man be while i whisk you away into the sunset with my new car? B|

YOU SHOULD ACCEPT.

You'll have a new car for free every year :D

Yes you should take the new car from them then sell it and buy a FORD

You wouldn't by any chance drive a Ford?;)
But, yeah i agree with you guys, and thanx. I will accept the offer and trade it in for anything but a Fiat.:ph34r:

:$ *cough cough* erm ... me. It has lots of Skydiving stickers on it so I guess that elevates it's status a lil bit har har :P

That's different though. Then yours is not a Fiat. It's a high-class skydiver transporter that just happens to have a Fiat badge... and probably breaks down often!!:P

:$ *cough cough* erm ... me. It has lots of Skydiving stickers on it so I guess that elevates it's status a lil bit har har :P

is it one of them Fiat's with a horse on it ?

If yes, it's OK...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

That's not a bad plan. And when you do go VW bro, i've owned 4 now and touch wood never had any major problems.

driving approx 6 years and 4 cars already ? :o

Ha, you're right, i've owned 3 and driven 4! And i've been driving for eight years :)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

...and where will your man be while i whisk you away into the sunset with my new car? B|

haven't got one right now unless you count my date for the wedding who is planning on a trip to Greece to find himself a Greek God for a bit of holiday fun over the next week or so :P

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe