Michele

Having a meltdown

Interesting turn of events...

This professor threw another student out of the morning class for challenging him on a question from the lab exam. Not only did he throw her out, he did so with armed security guards. Subsequently, some student from the morning class (her class) have walked out in protest...

I was approached by this group yesterday before class, and asked if the evening class is experiencing the same sort of treatment. I indicated they were, at least to some extent, inasmuch as the general complaints go. While no one has been thrown out of our class (which, btw, is a violation of school policies...due process must be observed in removing a student from a classroom, and only in the most extreme cases does this actually happen), there is a huge air of intimidation and fear.

While most people are too frightened to actually do something about it (or at least be heard in conjuction with other students to attest to the fact that this isn't simply a "morning" or "evening" class issue but rather a style of instruction pervasive in this professor's classroom...), I am going to go meet with the Dean of Students this morning with others from both the morning class and evening class.

This will be very interesting. I do expect to have some issue in the coming weeks because of this, but I'm willing to stand up because it's the right thing to do; the attitude of contempt this professor has towards his students, the environment of fear of this professor, and the inherent issues attendant to that environment is in need of notice at the least, and correction.

Just thought I'd update this thread...it's going to be an interesting meeting today...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

People who abuse their power and authority should be dealt with swiftly, effectively and with extreme prejudice

The girl who was thrown out of the morning class is doing everything she can to get him fired...while I am trying to have her relax a little bit, and to reconsider her "demands."

I'm advocating a suspension with evaluation (pychological if possible, other for certain) in the interim. He needs to take this seriously - he's made statements in class about the hatemail he recieves, and how it doesn't affect him, it's a waste of time, et cetera. His comments on ratemyprofessor.com show a pattern of indifference to students telling him that there are issues, and so perhaps he will listen if admin says something.

That's what I'm hoping for, at least...well, that and keeping the girl from the morning class in check. :D I had her in my chemistry class, and she is both a good student and respectful to the instructors; while she does have a temper, it can be controlled. That's what I hope to do with my "adult" presence and our relationship.

Irrespective of that, in the 12 ish hours I've had to research, I've discovered the professor's code of conduct and reasons for dismissal. I am writing up my verbal presentation, replete with examples I believe fit into those catagories, and will present that this morning to to Dean.

To give you an example of the sort of fear he instills in his students, last Thursday (not yesterday) we had an unexpected, violent wind storm. Gusts over 50 mph knocked out power to the college at about 4 pm. A group of students - some 15 of us - were outside doing a preclass study group. We knew the power was out, as one of the engineers told us that the school had closed and classes were cancelled. The security guards came along, and cleared the building, posting a note saying classes were cancelled. We didn't leave. At 5:30, when class was supposed to start, we were still there. The dean of the department came out, on her way home, and told us to leave, as classes were cancelled...and still we remained. I put together a sign in sheet, and about 5:45, we left as a group. In talking to other students about why we didn't leave at 4, or 5, or 5:30, even being instructed to by security and the dean of the department, it was apparent that we were too scared to leave, as we thought he'd show up with Coleman lanterns and make us take the exam scheduled...and that if we weren't there, he'd fail us peremptorialy for not showing.

That example, in and of itself, is telling of the way he runs his classroom. How can effective learning take place in that environment? How can we feel capable of asking him questions, when the common refrain is "he makes me feel stupid."? How do we learn when we are told that "C" students have no place in his classroom, and that we should drop because we're not fit to be in the medical industry?

We shall see what happens...it's going to be interesting.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~