brianfry713

Skyhook

I was looking at the Skyhook packing instructions today:
http://www.relativeworkshop.com/pdf_files/09109.pdf

At the top of page 3, it says to remove the RSL guide ring to eliminate a chance for misrigging. That led me to thinking, well, what exactly would happen if the Skyhook lanyard was passed through the guide ring. The manual says it will cause a reserve total. I wonder if that was tested.:o

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that during a Cypres fire or main total mal the reserve would still open normally if deployed without the Skyhook activating it. The interesting scenario is the partial mal on the main that is cutaway. If the Skyhook was badly misrigged, in this case the jumper could be in tow behind the main attached only by the RSL lanyard and the reserve pilot chute.

Possible solutions if you found yourself in the situation: disconnect or cut either the skyhook lanyard or the RSL lanyard. Prevention: rig it correctly. So if anyone sees a red Skyhook lanyard routed through the RSL guide ring (which shouldn't be there in the first place on a Skyhook equipped rig), make sure you have an rigger take a look at it.

Just something to waste time pondering about. I might get a Skyhook in my Infinity once it's available and the testing is done.

Remember, Bill announced that sport manufacturers will be allowed to use the Skyhook starting in either Jan. or Feb. of 2007. I forget the exact date.

I'd check you facts on that. It requires an extensive reengineering for each rig to assure it works properly. The one manufacturer that was the farthest along had some setbacks due to a plane crash. :(
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I do know that the Military Javelins (MJ) currently have the Skyhook on them. I am not sure when it will find its way down to the sports rigs or other mfgrs as it does require some design changes.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Allow me to rephrase... by "use" I suppose I didn't mean "start shipping rigs with". There's a pretty significant thread on the subject that includes a few guesses about how difficult shoehorning the Skyhook into certain rigs will be.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I believe Mark from RWS told me Javelins may have them by the end of this year, if all goes well

I'm still waiting for the former RWS to allow riggers in my country to retro fit the Skyhook to Sports Rigs, they can do Tandems but apparently not Sports rigs:S:S:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

MIrage said soon for the skyhook; :)

Soon is a subjective term:D:D:D:D

RWS said they would soon allow riggers in OZ to retro fit the skyhook to V3s, that soon was over 6 months ago and still no word:S:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I do know that the Military Javelins (MJ) currently have the Skyhook on them. I am not sure when it will find its way down to the sports rigs or other mfgrs as it does require some design changes.

Military Javelins are not sold as a TSO'd item (even if they are) and are sold by a company that is owned by both Sunpath and RWS. This makes transfer of technology much easier.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The point being is that there were design modifications that had to be made to accomodate the installation of the skyhook into the MJ container regardless of the business arrangements the 3 companies have. Those same modifications will have to be made for other mfgrs containers before we see it in sport gear.That is of course after the financial compensation is agreed apon.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING