airtwardo

Turbines Have Ruined Aviation!!

Ok SO I am picking up my brand new jumpsuit next week and it does not have a SINGLE oil spot on it.. this is WRONG... I NEED to go front float on the DC-3 at Eloy at the DZ.Com boogie..I am big.. I make a good air block for others coming out the door:P

:D:D Know how you can tell that a DC-3 is out of oil? It quits leaking oil.

You can always tell the newbies. Everyone is standing under the wing in the shade and they reach up to lean on the underside of the wing. Ewwww... :P

Take a ride on the B-17 sometime. It is expensive, but it is part of aviation that will eventually go away. Four big radials that vibrate like a Harley. It is an amazing aircraft.

I have! :)
Also done the B-29 "FIFI"...B|

.......Conversation actually heard by me around
the campfire at Mariana 20 some years ago...:)

'Old Pilot' and 'New Pilot' discussing the Beech 18...

New guy says, every time he hears it start,
it reminds him of an old Harley...

Old Salt says..."Few thousand hours in it and,
every time you hear a HARLEY...
you'll think Beech...!!!"B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yeah you're right about those T-Bo engines. I made several jumps out of the T-Bo that Aggies Over Texas used to have and the first time I saw 50 inches of manifold pressure on the guage I figured that the shrapnel would be spectacular if one ever came apart. Man those engines were really wound up tight.:o
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Mmmmmmmm, Radial Engines.....I like 'em a lot. P & W Wasp Jr. is my fav.

OK, I do love the sound of a twin turbo prop climbing to altitude as well. The Twin Otter and Beech 99 can always be heard around town...(weather permitting) :)

Was that P-17 at the 'Sacramento Air Show' this summer?

I didn't know that AOT used to have a T-Bo!

When was this, do you have any pictures or anything? We (Skydive Aggieland) are trying to piece together a history of jumping at Coulter Field and have been looking for all the information and any information we can find!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah, your right, the kid's name is Kyle. Still an awesome show. Oshkosh was cool..loved it!

I've known Kyle since he was wearin' 3 corner pants..
Shook hands with him at the Dayton show...
he about put me to my knees with his grip! [:/]
(Grrr...Wing Walkers!) B|

At Oshkosh;

The 'Rock & Roll Dog Fight' "...Masters of Disaster"
With the Planes and Jet Truck was AWESOME! :)
(of course the Parachute Team was cool too! ;))

The sweetest sound in the world is a D-18 roaring down the runway at 7:00 in the morning.

Best alarm clock ever made was a D-18 passing over head at about 35 feet at 7:00 in the morning. If you can sleep through that you might just be dead, and even the dead some times are awaken again! :ph34r:
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It took real men to drive twinbo failed engines around the sky... when they fail, they usually throw metal parts (pistons and the like) through the cowling and many times into the fuselage... you ain't seen real failures til you saw a gso-480 come apart at 50 inches of manifold pressure!

yehaa!

the old days were great (thank god they're over!)

Chris

HOLE-LY T-BO Batman!!:o

I am so old I can remember when I wanted to jump a Lodestar!

Its ok.. I managed to get on one at Richmond at the boogie in 76 I think it was. All I can remember is it got us to altitude and we got out;)

I am pretty sure we did some RW stuff..too:)

I've riden a B-17 and a B-24. Also a Ford Tri-motor. this year at Oshkosh. Would love to ride FiFi. I read in a recent copy of Parachuteing about some skydivers that got to jump out of the bomb bay of "Nine-O-Nine".. The Collins Foundation's B-17. Now THAT would be an AWESOME jump to make!!!

They said the guy giving them the signal to jump yelled "Bombs Away" when they jumped! ;) B| :D
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

The Collings Foundations B-17 is the one that I jumped. Johnny Gates is a donor, so he rides in it every time it is in town. Our friend Darrel went with us. Johnny and I exited the bomb bay, turned, and did a 2-way while watching the plane go away. Darrel did his own thing and got some stills. B|

Edited to add: Also there was a P-51 that flew along side us. We stood up in the radiomans area. There was no hatch on top, so we put our goggles on, stood up, looked around, and waved to the P-51 pilot. My head was outside of the plane. I had the coolest view.

I read in a recent copy of Parachuteing about some skydivers that got to jump out of the bomb bay of "Nine-O-Nine".. The Collins Foundation's B-17. Now THAT would be an AWESOME jump to make!!!

I bummed a ride on the 17 a few weeks ago from Ga to SC and the guys were telling me that they have every intention of being in Rantoul next year. That could be your chance to become a "meat bomb"
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

Round engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle, click-click
BANG, more rattles, another BANG, a big macho fart or two,
more clicks, a lot of smoke and finally a serious low
pitched roar. We like that. It's a guy thing. When you
start a round engine, your mind is engaged and you can
concentrate on the flight ahead.

I like the way you think. When you are waiting for the engine to warm up, the whole airplane rocks in rhythm when its idling low, and you can hear every exhaust valve open and close. Whump, whump, whump...