PhreeZone

What to do with an Iguana?

Ok, I caught a green iguana as it wondered though my backyard today. I shit you not this thing is about 18-24 inches long and I don't have a clue as to what to do with it. I know it can't be native and has to be a pet that got out but none of my neighbors have one, I already asked. What the hell do I do with this thing? The local pet shops won't take it and none of the rescue places i found online don't know what to do either.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It definitely sounds like somebody's pet. Those things are very sensitive to the environment. Maybe post a notice in the classified ads, as well as in most of the vet clinics in the area? Chances are you might find its owner.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hello Freezone, I am very interested in your post about the Iguana. I presently have 3 bearded dragons, 1 Savannah monitor lizard, and an awsome large Argus monitor lizard too. We have a large terrarium and great home for your new catch. Please let us know how I can adopt this critter from you.
Sincerely El Peludo aka......MikeyB|

awaiting your reply Thanks

It definitely sounds like somebody's pet. Those things are very sensitive to the environment. Maybe post a notice in the classified ads, as well as in most of the vet clinics in the area? Chances are you might find its owner.

Yes, iguanas are sensitive to the enivronment and will not survive in the wild if it was someone's pet (which is sounds like it was). Put up a FOUND ad at your local exotic pet store or list it on craigslist. In the meantime, keep it warm and feed it vegetables. They are vegetarians... They really make great pets, but once they get to their full size, people give them away. Keep us posted. :)

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

This is a green iguana from looking online. I'm at a loss of what to do. At night its getting into the 40s so can I leav it in a box overnight in the garage or what should I do with it?

NO!!! You have to keep that baby warm... Put it under the covers with you... They're very friendly lizards, and most likely he'll sleep when you do. :|

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Seriously, if you don't have an aquarium/terrarium to put it in, put it in a closet. They like to climb but extremely doubtful it could hurt anything in a standard closet.
They are pretty difficult to take care of at the age you are describing because they need a specific amount of UV-A and UV-B light per day to keep them from developing calcium deficiencies and bone diseases.
Sucks that your city does not have an Iguana reascue center like we have here.
Go to your local grocery store and get it some green beans, squash, mixed bag of lettuce/carrots/greens (prepared bagged salad) to eat, and place an ad in the paper saying you found it. If the owner doesn't contact you after a week or so, and if you don't want to keep it (they really make excellent pets), sell it. Or give it away.
But please don't let it freeze to death (they need a temeprature range of +/_ 70 - 90 F).

edit to add if you decide to keep it feel free to PM me for any detailed care instructions. My ex-GF and I raised two from babies (one died of old age and she got "custody" of the other one since it was her cage). >:(

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

This is a green iguana from looking online. I'm at a loss of what to do. At night its getting into the 40s so can I leav it in a box overnight in the garage or what should I do with it?

NO!!! You have to keep that baby warm... Put it under the covers with you... They're very friendly lizards, and most likely he'll sleep when you do. :|

No freaking way in hell that thing would ever be under my covers!!!! HAHAHAHA! My bed is not big enough for two lizards!!!!!! :D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I concur, they really are very delicious when prepared over an open flame. Sometimes you get lucky and get a female with eggs in her and they are just as delicious as quail eggs. Panamanians eat them like we eat chicken....in fact, they kind of taste like chicken, only with a bit more taste :)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Here you go amigo, Place a 100 watt light over the box or atleast 1 foot above the iguana containment. I use a 150 watt reptile infrared lamp of which you can leave on all day long. It will not interfere with its day time / night time exposure.
Feel free to also give it an ample amount of vegetables and fruit too.Don't forget a water bowl too. You can PM me at any time here at dz.com for any other questions about it. O.K. B|B|

Greens are best for it...collard grrens etc. regular lettuce will be good for a day or two but will not be good for the long haul.

this one may eat meat chances are if its been in the wild(out of its cage) for a few days its been eating grass and small bugs.

if you can not find the owner bring it to a pet store and give/sell it to them.

if that doesn't work Elpeludo will take him/her.

if you want to keep it in the family send it to me I used to have all kinds of lizards and was thinking abou tgetting an iguana any way.
My photos

My Videos