Ugali

Highest exit speed

wow...

It's ironic that that technology and design is near the stage where the gear we have strapped to our backs will survive long after the relative winds take their toll.
(ed) (millitary jet pilots bailing out at Mach 1+?)

Thanks

Tom, Tom Tom, Tommy, Tom Love

wow...

It's ironic that that technology and design is near the stage where the gear we have strapped to our backs will survive long after the relative winds take their toll.
(ed) (millitary jet pilots bailing out at Mach 1+?)

Thanks

http://www.ejectionsite.com/insaddle/insaddle.htm
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

What do you mean? Modern rigs able to withstand high-speed dives? We’ve had a number of canopy failures on different designs. We’ve broken lines, blown tapes, blown up cells, that doesn’t even address opening shock. At our drop zone alone we have had two deaths where deceleration injuries are suspected. Most of the designs on the market date back to well before free flying became popular. Booths rig, the “Wonder Hog” now called the Vector 3, which has been altered till it bears absolutely no resemblance to the original design is rated as high as any thing as it happens to date back to “B” standard category. The Mirage “touted and marketed as the “modern” high speed free fly rig, on the other hand dates back to the “Rapped Transit” if I recall. It was in the Low Speed category and is technically illegal and unairworthy above 150 mph. Those are just quirks of their history.
Never the less the reality is that we are up against the wall on the limitations of the equipment. We are blowing up canopies. We are killing people with the deceleration. We have damaged harnesses. Was it a racer that lost a chest strap? I’ve seen Javelin hip junctions shear their threads. We’ve bent rings at the hips. And that one in… Russia just came apart. Ok, it was Russia but still no one seems to grasp that there are real limitations to this gear. We turn over a generation about every five years. Most of the people out there have never herd of all the problems we’ve had in the past. They seem all surprised when some thing fails. They want to believe that their gear is infallible that nothing can go wrong. They seem to need that to be able to skydive. And don’t worry they’re safe because they have a cypress, totally different subject. What I’m saying is this leads them to blatantly flaunt the real limitations of there gear. Exit weight, air speeds, all the way down to how many people they can float on the plane.
How many more people are we going to have to kill before people will start jumping decent size reserves? Will I ever again see a rig with a properly sized container? I could strangle some of the dealers that sell this shit with canopies two sizes too big. When are we going to get a new generation of reserves that can handle higher speed openings? They can’t even seem to do it with the mains. What’s the hope of them relaxing the low speed deployment requirements? Low cutaways don’t seem to be the killer they once were.
If we don’t do something about some of these problems some one else, the FAA, might. They found the fact that Mary Ann was over the recommended max on her canopy very interesting. All they would have to do is begin to enforce the laws that are already there. If a fed were to walk out in to the landing area and pull the cards on an otter full of people at your DZ. How many would be legal, especially when you facture in all the new experience, and elevation restrictions. How many of the reserves you pack are actually on the compatibility chart? Or are you at a DZ where sanity still rains?

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

>. . .where the gear we have strapped to our backs will survive long
>after the relative winds take their toll.

?? The right gear for the job. There are several high speed ejection systems out there, from the simple (regular ejection seats with blast shields) to the esoteric (the "ejection capsule" on the F-111.)

Keep in mind that skydivers today are hitting 350mph in dives; skydivers can still travel well in excess of what their gear will survive and do just fine (as long as they slow down before they deploy, that is!)

350mph

I never realised people got that fast, i thought the record was by a frenchman of 324mph or something like that.

Is speed skydiving very popular? If not is it getting more popular? I havnt heard a great deal about it. It sounds awesome though.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Keep in mind that skydivers today are hitting 350mph in dives;

That is a bit over the top. The record is 311 mph and that is one of only a hand full to ever go over 300 mph. I doubt if any skydiver has ever hit 350 mph. :S

from the simple (regular ejection seats with blast shields)

There is no such thing as a "simple: ejection system.:P

That is a bit over the top. The record is 311 mph and that is one of only a hand full to ever go over 300 mph. I doubt if any skydiver has ever hit 350 mph.

http://www.gofastsports.com/about/press/index.html

Luigi Cani Sets New Guinness World Record in Speed Skydiving

DENVER, CO (April 21, 2005) - - Expert Skydiver/Go Fast Athlete Luigi Cani set a speed record in skydiving. Freefalling at a record speed of 343mph, Cani surpassed the previous world record of 325.67 mph - set by Frenchman Michael Brooke (1999).

Wearing a low-drag fabric suit with a streamlined weight vest and an aerodynamic helmet, Luigi accelerated vertically in a headfirst position with data loggers tracking his speed and measuring his max speed zone. The measuring zone for the record extended for 3,280ft from an altitude of 8,850ft down to 5,570ft. Alerted by a series of helmet beeps, Luigi shifted into a horizontal body position at the bottom end of the zone beginning deceleration and deploying his parachute at a safe speed of 120mph.

With a 0% margin for error - Luigi's jump demanded the fullest commitment -knowing any miscalculation or equipment malfunction would be fatal.

“Setting the new world record in speed skydiving is truly one of my biggest accomplishments throughout my professional skydiving career,” said Go Fast Athlete Luigi Cani.

I know Luigi did it.. but he did that with weights that would not be allowed under the rules of ISSA

http://www.hangout.no/speed/records_world.htm

THE RULZ state that only regular skydiving gear is to be used. and weights are specifically forbidden.

“Setting the new world record in speed skydiving is truly one of my biggest accomplishments throughout my professional skydiving career,”

I know Luigi did it.. but he did that with weights that would not be allowed under the rules of ISSA

So he didn't set a record?

he set a record, but depending on your thinking, not *the* record.

No weights seems reasonable, but clearly then favors some and not others. Luigi's not a heavy guy IIRC. So it probably begs for the open division and the restricted. Deep breath hold diving has those distinctions as well. In one they ride a sled down and a balloon up. Another they have to kick down and back on their own power.

Amazon - what's your top speed to date? (either instantaneous or over the 1000m)

Amazon - what's your top speed to date? (either instantaneous or over the 1000m)

The official.... not so fast in the only 2 competitions I have gone to....and for the records to be official it has to be done in a sanctioned event.....is only like 371 KPH with the official pro tracks..

Unofficial.. in a training dive that was not OB( I have PLENTY that go Out of Bounds when you get unstable at those speeds..which hurts by the way:S)... is 310 MPH...average.... no weights just my fat ass thru the measured kilometer from 8900 ft down to 5500 ft. I have several that are in the 290 MPH range.( Averages folks ....not those wonderful spikes that you get when freeflying doing transitions)

Next year I should be in a position to go to Europe for the World Cup meets.. this year.. way too much work with a new job.

I will at least own the Womens world record rather than just the Americans Womens record.... and I do plan on owning the overall American record as well;):)

depending on your thinking, not *the* record.

"the" record would be one that is recognized by a given sports world wide sanctioning body.

Deep breath hold diving has those distinctions as well. In one they ride a sled down and a balloon up. Another they have to kick down and back on their own power.

And track and field has 100 meters, 200 meters etc. But this is speed skydiving not hold your breath diving and speed skydiving only has 2 divisions, men and women.
:)

Kittinger? He was a total loon who went up into the upper stratosphere in a balloon, wearing a VERY heavy early spacesuit type thing. http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=2365&string=kittinger

Freefall time long enough to watch a movie, have a meal and be home in time to watch 'Eastenders'.
http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm