Lindsey

Took the kids camping

It was really fun, actually. Camping at a campground at Petit Jean State Park. I had never camped at a designated camp site until my son was born, and he's getting close to being old enough for some short backpacking trips...but MAAAAN we had a good time. Jay's friends had never camped or hiked! It was fun just teaching them how to set up their own tents and build a camp fire. The girls didn't have anything resembling hiking shoes, but they survived despite that.

We hiked two trails, both about 2 miles, each approaching Cedar Falls from different directions--one to the top of the falls and the other to the bottom. So the kids spent a lot of time w e t.

Just thought I'd share some pics....

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Awesome pictures. My kids are at this stage as well, its great fun.

It is fun. I think...no, I know...that I have more fun watching them have fun than I have having fun myself...lol. Know what I mean? So many folks cringed when I told 'em I was taking four children camping. I thought it was great fun.

Jay's been camping since he was little, and he's accumulated some pretty decent gear. He's been talking lately about going on a backpacking trip. I think he's ALMOST there, but I'm not sure he'd really have fun backpacking yet. He has so much fun just playing.

There's nothing better in this world, though, than being a parent. I wouldn't give this up for anything.... Can't believe he's 10.

edited to add more pics

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Camping at Petit Jean State Park...

Great photos. Great Dad - good for you. Cute kids. I love the photo with the marshmellows on smoking sticks. Those are the kinds of memories they will alway hold dear later in life. It's a good age for kids to be able to mostly take care of themselves, as well as appreciate the things that you do for them.

Where is this? Okay, I'll look up that state park name... Arkansas! Pretty place!

Camping at Petit Jean State Park...

Great photos. Great Dad - good for you. Cute kids. I love the photo with the marshmellows on smoking sticks. Those are the kinds of memories they will alway hold dear later in life. It's a good age for kids to be able to mostly take care of themselves, as well as appreciate the things that you do for them.

Where is this? Okay, I'll look up that state park name... Arkansas! Pretty place!

Thanks...but it's great MOM. :) (the avatar is bozo...lol)

There are LOTS of pretty places in Arkansas. If you're ever interested in a camping/backpacking/hiking trip over here, give me a holler and I'll give you some good ideas. Petit Jean is a BEAUTIFUL, but also very busy place. Great place to take kids. The northern part of the state has lots of great places that are more secluded and just as gorgeous.

edited to add: NO. They're not all mine. The brown haired boy is the fruit of my loin (heh), the other kids are my son's best friend and his twin sisters.
--

Oops. Okay, I stand corrected. Yes, you're face in the avatar is all fuzzy.

There are LOTS of pretty places in Arkansas. If you're ever interested in a camping/backpacking/hiking trip over here, give me a holler and I'll give you some good ideas.

Having grown up in the east, I spend all my camping time in the west these days. I can't get enough of that landscape.

NO. They're not all mine. The brown haired boy is the fruit of my loin (heh), the other kids are my son's best friend and his twin sisters.

I know how much work that can be to take other people's kids along with you. I used to fill a car full of neighborhood kids to go fishing, along with my own two sons. It's a handful.

It even got me out of an arrest once. I got a speeding ticket on the way home, and it turned out, due to a court clerk error over a previous ticket, they thought it was unpaid. So, officially, they were supposed to arrest me for having an unpaid ticket. But the cop looked at the car full of kids, and decided it would be too much work tracking down all the parents, and that I must be a pretty decent guy to take all those kids fishing. So he did a "courtesy arrest", where he writes a ticket and lets you go. And I got the mess straightened out later. If it hadn't been for all those kids, I'da been gone...

Thank God. I've been looking at that pic for a year now, trying to see it as a woman. I just thought, "How unfortunate." :D

lol...I tried to change it earlier today to a new picture of me and Jay, but it wouldn't change!!!! I guess I'm stuck like this. HA!
--

It did change. You have to hit F5 or refresh to be able to see it. Of course, I see that you've changed it back now. :D

AHHHHH....I'll try again. It was all misshapen. Let's see if this works.

edited to add: hmm. there it is, but it's not very clear. wonder why that is.
--