Hambone

The Kentucky Derby

Have fun! We lived in Lousiville for a few years when I was still in grade school. Our parents took us, but we were always in the infield. Back in the day, that was quite the party. I remember the neighbors and my father's boss being shocked that they would expose us to that environment! I went a few times in high school and college too. Infield again, and we had a great time! I learned from my parents how to smuggle in beers!:)

I think that we will be going back and forth. We are going with a TON of people and just lucked into the grand stand tickets, i will be watching the ponies thunder around the track during the derby! YAHOOO!!!!
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

Have a great time. I went to the Derby in 02, had a blast.....take sunscreen if the weather is gonna be sunny, not alot of shady areas there. The infield is one huge party (I think those people are there just to party and don't really care for the racing side of it), but tough to get to. My friend and I stayed away from there, we had way too much fun in the grand stand, plus you get to see the horses better from that side, and making bets is much easier too. Mint juleps are yummy...really they are.....its the one and only time I have drank bourbon and loved it!!!!!!:)
Bobbi

A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I am bragging, I just got my hands on some Grand Stand Tickets for the derby on saturday. Its going to be so much fun. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:B|B|B|B|

I think painting the shed would be more fun than going somewhere to watch
something for 2 whole minutes :S
__

My mighty steed

I grew up in Louisville (actually Valley Station, close enough) Never went to Churchill Downs for the Derby while living there. (lots other times, tho)
Moved to California flew back 5 yrs later to go to Derby.
I suggest to take a cab there, do not park in the people's yards, they charge $10 + and sometimes it wasn't even their yard, and cars were stolen, towed, etc.
You have to have at least 1 mint Julep!
Get your hands on a Greensheet early and pick horses beforehand.
A little outside scoop..smell of booze in the air all over!
There will puddles of booze and puke on the sidewalks from peole camping out, watch out for broken glass.

Oh, and never bet on more that 3 different horses in the same race;)

Chris,

Have you ever been to a race track? There are about 10 races total- its an all day event. The Derby is the featured race, but throughout the whole day, it is world class horseracing. You bet, you watch, you drink, you socialize. Its fun!