billvon

Jumping without a cypres

I remarked when I bought my first AAD 15 years ago, that I would feel really stupid going in with $1200 left in my checking account.

One can debate all they want, but risk management is about playing the odds. If you push the limits hard enough, an AAD can cause problems. But they have saved way more lives than they have taken. I have over a dozen reserve rides, all by the book, no problems. I still use an AAD whenever possible, because I never know what will happen on the very next jump. Jim Lennox never expected to get knocked unconscious on a 12 way jump at LP this summer, but he did. :S

I used to be the young guy with the little kids. I would have hated to leave them like that. [:/] My deepest sympathies to the families.

Someone else in the Hawaii incident thread has remarked, "it looks like the old fashioned way of going in clean is back". I surely hope that's not the case.

It never went anywhere. This is just the last couple of years.

Sparky

http://www.skydivingfatalities.info/search.asp?MinDate=1%2F1%2F2007&MaxDate=1%2F2%2F2009&Place=&State=&Country=&Category=NOP&MinAge=16&MaxAge=78&UnknownAge=on&MinJumps=0&MaxJumps=15000&UnknownJumps=on&AAD=&RSL=&Description=&DescriptionOperator=OR&Lessons=&LessonsOperator=OR
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yep - it's the worst $1200 that you'll ever save ... >:(

There are also places out there that sometimes will hire you an AAD or even let you pay it off over a period of time (if they know you)...

Here in the UK - new AAD's tend to be around $1500 - $1600 but we work with people to help get them sorted with one...

I've sold two AAD's in the last couple of days alone - both of which were a year or two old and will be good for at least the next ten years :)