flyingfencer

how to know what type of aad to get (and some other questions)

I'm looking at getting this:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=38819&d=1
But would like to put in an aad. How do I know if I should get a 1 or 2-pin system? Would a rigger be able to install this since the ad isnt marked with 'aad-ready?'
I'm biased towards vigils bc of the maintenance record so would probably be getting one of those.

Also, just as a secondary question, I'm fairly new and this would be my first rig, and it seems like a good place to start. I am a little wary, however, of the characteristics of the main after reading gear reviews. I'm staying away from swooping for a while still, but I'm reading that this canopy type is designed for swooping. Is that a problem? I have experience on a saber2 and a spectre (both 190) and was comfortable on them. So I guess I'm asking would this PD nitron 170 be too much of a downsize?

updated the profile for yas.
As I said I'm a beginner, but I haven't been able to do much wihtout my own rig (renting is difficult at my dz). The previous rigs I used were at another dropzone (had to go off to college) and I obviously don't have access to that anymore.
Oh yeah, and don't buy this one out from under me! :p

The reserve is definitely big enough. I'm 160# with no gear, I fall fast so I wouldn't ever be wearing weights either.
How does the flying differ for an elliptical? With small inputs wouldn't it be possible to get used to it?

The reserve is not necessarily "definitely big enough." At 160# plus gear and clothing you'll be near 190#. While you'll be under the max for the reserve at your experience level you shouldn't be near the max. A loading of 1:1 should be about the limit. Remember, this is a canopy unlike any you've probably ever jumped. It is a NON ZP 7 cell. While only meant to save your life, and perhaps big enough for an experienced jumper, it may not be big enough for you. You should seek the advice of the instructors who know you.

With respect, at 30 jumps you don't have "experience" on any canopy. Just because you jumped a particular canopy and size doesn't mean you have experience. It means that you tried it out. Even with hundreds of jumps you can find yourself in situations you have never seen before. Wind, obstacles, traffic, thermals, turbulence, lighting, etc etc makes every jump unique.

You have a lot of canopy flight learning to do before you should move to a higher performance canopy. This includes a significantly smaller size on the same style or model canopy. A wing loading of 1:1 on a Sabre 190 is significantly more docile than a wing loading of 1:1 on a 135.

I suggest going to Performance Designs web site and read the articles on choosing canopies. I'll let others point you to other articles.

And, as said above either this price is a typo or something is drastically wrong.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE