ExAFO

Civic advice?

Driven a stick for 8 years...my car (1994 Mustang GT) may be on its way to the great shitheap in the sky...Or to the nearest gearhead who wants to convert it to a dragster...

Anyone go from a manual to an auto and not regret it? Or, should I stay w/a 5-speed?

Looking at a 2005 Civic Coupe LX. Does anyone have this or a similar vehicle? Pros/Cons?

I wanted to get something convertible, but I do not trust Jeep or chrysler, cannot afford BMW or Volvo, and I need something that I can gas up, oil up, and go...

Advice?
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

I had a 2005 Civic LX coupe and I loved the car. The only thing I did not like about it was the power. It doesnt have any power when trying to merge on to a major highway, etc. Ofcourse you could always fine tune it to have more power.
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

If you're going to go to a four-cylinder, stay with the 5/6-speed, especially with Hondas. The main reason is that you're going to miss the torque at the low end. A manual will help you keep the engine where you want it if you need it.

Second and third gear seem to be the magic cog in the smaller Civics and Acuras. They're fun to wind up. B|

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Honda makes a great auto and manual transmission for the Civic. You can't go wrong mechanically with either. I can't speak to the issues of clutch withdrawal syndrome, I've never been afflicted with that condition. :D Of course I've driven both, just never got addicted to a manual.

Convertibles are plagued with troubles, stay away if you want dependability and resale value.

I can help you with all Honda questions, I spent 10 years designing interiors for them.

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I had a 1990 Toyota Celica 5-speed that I truly loved. It was like driving a go cart around. I traded it for an automatic 1996 Honda Civic EX Coupe and that car just had bad juju...I bought it brand new, but was in a wreck two weeks later (not my fault)...ended up in 2 wrecks in that car (both not my fault)....anyway, I traded it for a Jeep Wrangler (5 speed) and now have a 2004 Honda Accord, EX Coupe, 5 speed that I bought brand new. I love my car. Somedays I wish I had an automatic because driving a stick in traffic sucks major ass sometimes, but if you go with a Honda, they are very reliable. My boyfriend would tell you something differently right now because of the problems he is having with his S2000 and the way Honda is treating him with the covertible soft top, so I would rethink the convertible idea...I had the Jeep with dual tops...and when I had the soft top on it, it was cut too many times and I couldn't keep anything worth value in it. So, to make a long post even longer, go with the Honda, you can't go wrong there, but reconsider something convertible...and if you like the manual, then go for it.

I went from a 5-speed to a Civic automatic last year. I don't think I regret it, but I'm not always sure.

When I drive in traffic, I love not having to shift all the time. But, ya know, shifting all the time makes me pay more attention to what's going on, which is a good thing.

OTOH, I really like my car. So I'd vote high on the Civic.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

i have both, stick and auto, but they are jeeps. the honda auto trans i do believe is actually an electronically controlled manual trans...could be wrong here.

No, it is not. I think they've made some CVT (continuously variable trans - very few were made) that can be put in a mode that simulates a manual transmission, but that is as close as they have come.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I'm posting for two reasons... The first reason is so you can see my avatar... ;)

The second reason is for the Civic advice... I bought a brand new 2006 Honda Civic EX automatic last year, and sold it shortly after. It had no power what-so-ever, and I felt it was a little too sluggish. A friend of mine bought a 6-speed manual SI, and he sold it a couple of months after he bought it for what he said was almost the same reason (but he had his heart set on an STI, so I think that was the real reason). I now drive a 1995 Honda del Sol SI automatic (convertible) that has "pick up and go," that I like, so if you want a Honda, maybe you should look for an SI. Hondas do make reliable cars... B|

OTOH, I drove an automatic 1999 Chrysler Sebring convertible for 7 years and had no problems with mechanical issues until one of the back windows decided not to work anymore. They had to lock it in the "up" position unless I wanted to pay $300+ to replace the motor. Other than that, I had no engine issues. I loved that car, but I guess I wanted to trade it in for a car payment. :S

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

The Civic does very well compared to other vehicles in its class in terms of acceleration.

One must be willing to rev it up if you really need to get going fast. The VTEC doesn't even kick in until about 4500 rpm depending on the engine. Some aren't comfortable with that, and are only happy with an engine that never needs to be pushed past 3000 rpm. Such an engine will be much larger in displacement in a larger, heavier car.

A word of caution concerning the Civic Si, depending on which model year, the gear ratios will have it turning about 4000 rpm at 70 mph, which can be uncomfortable for some.

I have probably 10 or more vehicles over my short driving career. These have varied from muscle/drag cars, to trucks, and imports. They have all varied in trasmission option.
For convienience I prefer the autos, but moreso with the V8s I had.
For economy, relability, long life, I prefer the manual. You'll get better MPG with a manual. Under typical conditions, a manual will take less input cost to maintain, and still last longer. Especially the Honda manuals. You might put a clutch in one, but thats all you'll ever do.

just my .02
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Stick with the stick. I had an 88 mustang GT S/C'ed with a 5 speed. I sold that for a 2004 Xterra Auto. I loved the truck but hated the auto so I ditched it and purchased a 2007 MS3 with a 6 speed. I won't be going back to an auto for a long time.

I just switched from a manual 94 honda civic to an automatic 97 Honda CRV. I'm loving the switch. I deal with nasty Seattle traffic everyday in my commute and I was sick and tired of pumping the clutch non-stop for my sometimes 2 hour stop-and-go drive to school.

After only ever driving a stick, I'm fairly happy with the change. But, once I am in a location where I don't have to deal with such crappy traffic I will probably switch back.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I took a stick again even though I live in a big city and traffic sucks, but its hydraulicaly assisted so its like pushing my foot thru air!! :)

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

OK... I did a couple of test drives for you this weekend if you're still looking...

2007 Civic LX Coupe Auto - very sluggish, but still has pick up and go when you slam the petal down to the ground.

2007 Civic EX Coupe Manual - HELL FUCKIN' WOOHOO! That SOB was 0 to 60 in seconds. They almost had to clean the seat when I got out of that sucker. And, after that test drive, I had to buy it... :o I haven't driven a manual in so long, but it was so easy to shift and oh my... I think I'll go take a peek in the garage to drool some more. :$

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

My guess is you're going to find that either one will feel sluggish compared to your Stang. I drive a 1991 Mustang 5.0 - 5 speed. I purchased it used from a friend and got such a killer deal I didn't stop to worry about the auto/manual thingy. Personally I prefer the auto. You just can't beat not having to shift. And if you drive in any type of rush hour traffic you can wear yourself (and the clutch) out damn quick.

Remember if you do junk that car charge top dollar. Those Mustang motors are in high demand. Of course I get hounded more than most due to the fact that the 1991 was the highest horsepower year :P

If you can't live without me, why aren't you dead already?

Definitely go with the SI :)
A while back, I drove an EX-Coupe and SI-Sedan, both 5/6 speeds at the dealer. EX is definitely a sweet ride, but SI is a different animal altogether B|B|.

A friend bought the habanero-red show-room coupe I was eying and let me take it for a spin. He advised me to wind the gears high enough to trigger the VTEC and as Max said, 2nd & 3rd are a lot of fun :)