Mike111

Not manufactured?

Well, it's either not a 170 or it's not a PD 7-cell... It came in 176 and 160, but the 170 was a 9-cell.

You can find some info at square1: http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p866.asp

And yeah, it's an old F111 design. No market for it anymore.

Edit: Also remember that what it says on square1 is OLD PD marketing... Not really applicable anymore. For example: "The PD 7-Cell is a parachute that opens, glides, and lands better than any other F-111 7-cell on the market." Other than accuracy canopies, try to find any F111 7-cell on the market now.

Dave

It's pretty rare to find a PD 7 cell still in good enough condition to be jumping. Did you have a rigger inspect it?

These canopies aged very quickly partly because of the fabric they were made from doesn't last. You wouldn't want to jump one that had more than a few hundred jumps on it.

There were not a lot made since people generally prefered the PD 9 cell, but even those are hard to find in good condition.

To answer your question, - yes - the reason is lack of demand. There are better, newer designs.

_AM
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Hehe yeah, yeah...

Which modern reserves don't fly, glide, or land better than any PD 7-cell that can be bought now? :P

Dave

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You just opened a loud and lengthy debate with the owners of Amigo, R-Max, Smart, Techno, Tempo, etc. reserves. ... basically, any reserve introduced since PD reserves.
PD was the first company to figure out how to make reserves land softly when loaded more than 1:1. Since then (15-ish years ago) other manufacturers have learned a thing or two ...
Personally, I have one ride on my Amigo 172 and am quite happy with it. I also enjoyed (if any reserve ride can be enjoyable???) my one ride on an R-Max 118.

I said "Which modern reserves don't fly, glide, or land better than any PD 7-cell that can be bought now?"

I think you're agreeing with me.

Edit: BTW, I was just kidding around anyway, comparing an old ass used PD 7-cell with a brand new reserve. Not comparing PD and other reserves.

Dave

No canopies are being produced anywhere by anybody with F-111 fabric anymore. George Harris went out of business long ago :)

Don't you dare start trying to get everyone to call it Exacta-Chute® >:(.

Heh, I agree that's a mouthful. We call it zerotahthree (0-3 cfm) but that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue either, but it's better than "that non-slippery stuff" :)