jdobleman

Prius - extended warranty?

OK, madjohn's going green, car arrives in 3 days.
Anyone out there have experience/knowledge about practicality of extended warranties, especially with Toyotas?

thanks,
madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

OK, madjohn's going green, car arrives in 3 days.
Anyone out there have experience/knowledge about practicality of extended warranties, especially with Toyotas?

thanks,
madjohn

Going green? You mean your car's going to match your skydiving gear? That's so cool!;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

i have an echo - and it was previously owned - my car came with the extended warranty - i think it was worth every penny - and they are super good about contacting you with recalls or any services that come with the warranties - good choice my friend - im happy with my toyota - and i know theyre built to last in addition to being ridiculously amazing on gas
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

I have a 2003 Prius (and a Vette for fun) and my husband has a 2006 Prius. We're not green, just like the diamond lane stickers and the great gas mileage. I know we got a $3,000 tax credit for the 2006 Prius, but I'm not sure about the extended warranty. I will ask my husband, he is a car broker so I think he will know.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

I used to work in the car industry so I'm a little biased but I think getting an extra warranty on a brand new car is a waste of money. It already comes with the manufacturers warranty. But if you are buying used, I would definitely get it since you don't know how the car has been driven/treated.

Thanks folks.

I Googled " extended Warranty" and Toyota and got the information I was looking for. Basically, the dealership you buy from seems to offer the "rip-off" rate but you can order the warranty from any dealership in the country, (it's a Toyota Generic warranty, doesn't matter who sold it to you) and can shop around for the best deal. You don't have to order it right away.

So I'm going shopping tomorrow.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

Thanks folks.

I Googled " extended Warranty" and Toyota and got the information I was looking for. Basically, the dealership you buy from seems to offer the "rip-off" rate but you can order the warranty from any dealership in the country, (it's a Toyota Generic warranty, doesn't matter who sold it to you) and can shop around for the best deal. You don't have to order it right away.

So I'm going shopping tomorrow.

madjohn

That. They buy the warranty for a certain price and then sell it for as much as they can. The full price mark-up is absurd. If you'd like I can refer you to a family member who does F&I for a Toyota dealership, just so you can price shop him (no promises of a lowest price). Personally, I don't buy extended warranties on anything (including my last two and my next vehicles...all Toyota's). They wouldn't sell the warranties if they weren't going to make money on them, so it's all about your acceptable level of risk.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

John, I bought a Dodge new and didn't get the extended warranty. As my truck got closer and closer to the date the original warranty was going to expire the offers for the extended warranty got cheaper and cheaper. I suggest you wait.

I'm curious about the warranty/replacement costs for those high-tech batteries.

I never did get the extended warranty.

Only trouble I ever had was with the Driver's side door sticking, but I don't think they would have fixed it anyhow.

Dave,

I'll take you up on the contact number. At least it will give me a starting point. Normally I don't go for warranties either but with all the computer stuff in the Prius, it might be worth it if it's low enough.

Thanks,
madjohn

I have a 2003 Prius (and a Vette for fun) and my husband has a 2006 Prius. We're not green, just like the diamond lane stickers and the great gas mileage. I know we got a $3,000 tax credit for the 2006 Prius, but I'm not sure about the extended warranty. I will ask my husband, he is a car broker so I think he will know.

What mileage are you getting w/ the Prius? And I WANT a Vette too!