meloo09

Zhills Situation

I'm not sure how many people know "Salsa John" that well, but he was just involved in a stabbing incident here in zhills. Him and a local instructor got into an altercation and salsa stabbed our friend. I've met the guy before but this behavior is just so unheard of. We here at zhills rarely, if ever have any violence and I'm just floored that another skydiver would go to such extremes. I hate posting it but I feel like everyone should be made aware of the type of person he is.
What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say.

I hate posting it but I feel like everyone should be made aware of the type of person he is.

While I agree that stabbing someone is pretty awful, and indeed violence has no place at the DZ (or in life, for that matter), and while I realize it's a friend that was hurt...

There are two sides to a story, and the truth is usually somewhere between the two sides.

My very best wishes for the instructor's speedy recovery, and I'll be waiting to hear the full story before I make more of an opinion of Salsa John.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Glad to hear that, amiga. Hope he recovers fully and quickly and that nobody else was hurt.

Hopefully Salsa stays away for a long, long, long time.
>:(:S

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

If your going to post this much I think you should post the rest of the story. How did it get to that level? It takes two for an arguement and a stabbing.I'm not defending anyone but give up what happened.

If provoked with no way out I'm not going to take a ass beating if I have a gun or a knife.

Can anyone tell us exactly what happened...and what led up to the altercation? THe police report doesnt have any of that..but i can tell its very serious with a 10K bail!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

The situation as far as I know it goes something like this. The two of them were having and argument. Nobody else involved, so it was a 1 on 1 situation. No blows had ever been thrown. Randy put his arms up in typical redneck fashion as if to say "what you wanna go". Before anyone knew what happened, John pulled out a knife and stabbed him in his side. Luckily he hit a rib, so there was no real internal damage.

One of our local jumpers is an off duty sheriff and immediately handled the situation, detained John and held him for local police.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

This is the story I recieved from Patrick who is an officer in pasco I believe and was the one that handled the situation when everyone reliezed that it wasn't a prank. Salsa had apperantely been making some unwanted advances towards two women and the tandem instructor told him to get lost, I'm sure not in those polite terms. Salsa at some point may have felt threatened and decided to draw his knife and stab Randy. What Patrick pointed out to me though was when the two of them came out into the crowd and were exchanging words, his knife was folded back up and in his pants. If he had been attacked, why wouldn't he still have his weapon out in self defense? This is what alerted Patrick and had him subdue salsa. I personnaly only saw the verbal exchange on the deck and there was not any physical contact at that time. I had heard some stories after the fact of course but I can't verify anything. Patrick talked to salsa and handed him over to the athorities so I only put his remarks in my post.
What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say.

I have known Randy for a long time. He is a rambunctious, vivacious gentleman (he’s going to laugh when he reads it) who is full of life and joy. He is also one of the most professional people I have met and takes his DZ job very, very seriously. In other words the probability of him wanting to hurt someone on DZ property is nil. It’s his livelihood and Randy does not screw with that.

Stabbing someone with a knife is a serious issue. It is deadly intent. It is not tolerable. Randy is a good man. He is mentally as solid as a brick. (again, he will laugh when he reads this). That is the bottom line. That is the entire other side of the story. I am happy Patrick was there to intervene.
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Guest 1010

What the fuck is wrong with people????:S

ya know, I feel the same thing about folks on these boards gloating about Paris Hilton going to jail. :S

WTF is wrong with people, where does all the hatred come from?

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Maybe he was mad that his salsa really wasn't as good as he thinks it was. I am sure we will here his side but cmon, anyone that uses a knife in a fight is a weak Person.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

What the fuck is wrong with people????

That is pretty much typical behaviour for Salsa John where women are involved.:S
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

The only thing that triggered the shanking act was he was told to LEAVE THE WOMEN ALONE.
He creeps them out and corners them.
Many have asked for help in avoiding him and protecting themselves from him.
Randy was being a gentleman and simply attempted to tell him to stay away.
This has nothing to do with making salsa as if that were some great accomplishment for our society. :S
This is our community as much as the dz's we jump at are. He was arrested and put in jail, Randy wasn't...that should explain enough. It was an attack, not a fight nor an argument. Discussing matters here is no different than talking about them in public or on a news site forum for that matter.

The only thing that triggered the shanking act was he was told to LEAVE THE WOMEN ALONE.
He creeps them out and corners them.
Many have asked for help in avoiding him and protecting themselves from him.
Randy was being a gentleman and simply attempted to tell him to stay away.
This has nothing to do with making salsa as if that were some great accomplishment for our society. :S
This is our community as much as the dz's we jump at are. He was arrested and put in jail, Randy wasn't...that should explain enough. It was an attack, not a fight nor an argument. Discussing matters here is no different than talking about them in public or on a news site forum for that matter.

Totally in agreement there. No excuse for stabbing anyone at a DZ. Glad you stepped in there Randy. . There is nohing more creepy than a pervie making women uncomfortable. What the fuck is happening. Is it me or has skydiving changed. Maybe we accept these weirdoes because they jump at the same dropzone as us.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Is it me or has skydiving changed. Maybe we accept these weirdoes because they jump at the same dropzone as us.

I haven't witnessed the "creepy behavior" so I don't know exactly what line gets crossed, and given that there seems to be a lot of people who felt uncomfortable, maybe John does regularly behave in a manner that makes women uncomfortable. I've always thought him a little odd, but I've never witnessed this type of behavior.

But let's all be honest here - the lines at the DZ are blurry at best sometimes. The use and overuse of alcohol doesn't help in making things any clearer. I'd go so far as to say that most women put up with a lot more flirty/aggressive/sexual behavior at the DZ than anywhere else in their lives. What's cool and funny from someone who is popular and well-liked may be creepy and stalkerish from someone who isn't. What's "too far" from one person is "silly fun" from another.

Doesn't excuse bad behavior, and I'm not defending any such behavior if it took place. But we ALL have to be very careful about drawing our lines when things do get uncomfortable. Women, we've got to be confident enough to 1) define OUR lines (not what you feel pressured into, but where YOU feel comfortable) and 2) be confident enough to say "You're crossing a line."

I don't think I have met Randy but I'm also glad that there are a lot of "Randys" in this sport. I've never been too worried for my safety around dropzones because I'm very protective of my personal boundaries and limits and will enforce them, but I also have a lot of friends like Randy who wouldn't hesitate to intervene on my behalf if it got beyond a point where I could handle it.

I just hope that there's an equal willingness to shut down behavior that makes someone uncomfortable if that behavior comes from one of the "cool kids."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke