somethinelse

Mamba Evaluation

MAMBA 132 EVALUATION
Jim Dunaway, D-25827

Introduction:
Recently, at a major 2006 Summer Boogie, I was jumping and swooping my Big Air Sportz Samurai 136 (airlocked elliptical), when I was approached by Aerodyne representative Karl Meyer with an offer to jump and evaluate the new Aerodyne Mamba 132 sq. ft. elliptical canopy. I love my Samurai and have become comfortable and proficient with it, so I thought a comparison might be fun to do - and appreciated the opportunity to fly the Mamba.

Openings, Toggle Inputs & Docile Flight:
I jumped the Mamba at a 1.7 wing loading, and was comfortable with its range right away. I both PRO-packed and Psycho-packed the canopy, and got good openings. I did both sub-terminal and long-delay openings, as well as some intentional out-of-position harness openings, and could not upset the canopy heading on opening very significantly. I experienced no opening shock whatsoever in any of these conditions, but have to give part of the credit to the new ICON container and harness, which is the most comfortable container I've jumped. I was able to "spin up" the canopy with harsh toggle switch-backs, but it took some effort, and went only 1 -3 twists - which easily kicked out...it wants to fly straight. At lighter wing loadings, this would be a very forgiving progression for someone who is looking for their 1st elliptical canopy. The Mamba has light,crisp, and sharp toggle turns when desired, with near-zero oversteer, but I was also able to hold it in very deep brakes and still maneuver very flat left and right turns without instability or a sense of 'folding up'.

Riser Inputs, Advanced Maneuvers:
I first tested the Rear Risers for right-hand emergency turn-outs, and was impressed with the quick rate of turn - both with brakes stowed or released. There was much more oversteer with brakes stowed, rarely covering less than 270 degrees before recovery to straight flight... not a bad thing when you need to get below and away from the bone-head who is flying straight at you while messing with his slider! Rear riser turns with toggles released were a pleasure, with the ability to do high G-force "switch-backs" very crisply.
Front Riser turns were very light and generated very fast canopy speeds. I did notice, however, that a quick,deep front riser input (6" or more), would cause the canopy to "buck" somewhat - more so, the deeper the input. After watching the canopy after several of these inputs, I noticed canopy distortion & determined the deep brake settings (which make the openings SO sweet), was the reason for this behavior. I DO NOT suggest deep or abrupt front riser turns for landing the Mamba (due to the deep brake set-up). Smoothness is paramount.
Harness Inputs are a key to higher performance, and will reward the more experienced jumper at higher wing loadings. A smooth & shallow (4") front riser turn to initiate, if followed through with deep harness input, is the key to a fast and smooth 270 degree riser turn. I found that the Mamba was very comparable to my Samurai in the altitude drop for a 270 performance approach to landing, and I was soon consistent with swooping the canopy in this manner.
Swoops, Carves, & Landings are smooth and fun with the Mamba. When the approach is dialed in and the speed is high, the Mamba is an impressive swoop machine. I found a light 'bump' on the rear risers would often yield a long and settled "turf surf" with no need for any input whatsoever. On one of my (slightly cross-wind) swoops, I was able to fly this canopy 'hands free' a comparable distance to my best Samurai swoop. Carves with rear risers an/or toggles were predictable, without abrupt climbs or drops in altitude. Another place where the deep brake settings pay off is in the hang time of the flight, plus a pleasant and consistent 'pop-up' to standing at the end of the landing flare.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOG BOOK NOTES:
"Full canopy test. Impressive! Checked all inputs. Less likely to 'spin-up' with hard toggle input. Front riser 270 very similar to Sammy with approx 500' of dive. Noticed bucking and distortion of wing with hard, deep front inputs. Less riser input with harness follow-through stopped this issue. Very steerable with harness only, but less stable in wind as my airlocked canopy. When dialed in - swoops were smooth, with impressive (and comforting) 'pop-up' to standing at end of flare. Fun Wing!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANK YOU!
Thank You Karl (and Aerodyne) for the opportunity to jump the Icon container and Mamba parachute.
SUMMARY:
>I'm spoiled on my BigAirSportz Samurai. The stability and rigidity make it predictable no matter what the pilot inputs or wind conditions, although it requires an active and alert pilot to fly it. Wherever you point the Samurai - it will accurately fly... until the PILOT redirects it.
>The Mamba is much more forgiving in that regard, and is a very pleasing and fitting entry into the market. As far as outright performance: I would put it up against the Icarus Crossfire or the PD Katana (both of which, I have flown)....and I would definitely recommend it (over the competition) as a first elliptical canopy for a lighter wing loaded pilot.
I also jumped the Pilot 132 and 150 while doing Bird-Man jumps at this same event. I came away impressed with this design as well, and am advising my DZO to use them for student progression canopies.

Jim Dunaway
D-25827
CSA-548
[email protected]

IMPORTANT NOTE> I am also strongly recommending newer (AND EXPERIENCED) pilots to take a focused canopy course before going to an elliptical design of any size. It makes a difference. With today's equipment breakthroughs and the quickly evolving nature of the sport, every jumper should keep current by taking courses that focus not only on skills, but which can help with adrenaline and fear psychology in emergency situations. Hesitation and fixation is maiming and killing experienced jumpers every season.
Brian Germain has excellent courses that deal with this life-saving aspect of canopy piloting.
Go to: www.briangermain.com or www.bigairsportz.com for details.

Blue skies & safe flights! - JD