DroptheMan04

military rig vs sport rig

is there big difference between military rig and sport rig in freefall? Is so, what?

You seem ask a lot of questions on this site, but it's good thing. I have no idea about difference, since I'm not expert at military rig. I watched "HALO: FreeFall Warriors" US Special Ops took training for military freefall, it's seem awesome but they are strict if you didn't make it right! They aren't like instructors in sport freefall. Of course, It's MILITARY! 2 of them failed begin freefall warriors in training. One of them got uncontrol from spinning to stable. Other one failed to make group military jumps while almost dive into other during opening. It's seem almost serious collsion, so they denied him begin in training. [:/]
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

is there big difference between military rig and sport rig in freefall? Is so, what?

The biggest difference, no pun intended, is one weighs about 50+ pound and the other is less than 25 pounds. The military FF rig will have a ripcord for both main and reserve.

Here are a couple of sites the will show a varity of HALO/HAHO rigs.

ParaFlite

CPS
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The biggest difference, no pun intended, is one weighs about 50+ pound and the other is less than 25 pounds. The military FF rig will have a ripcord for both main and reserve.

Here are a couple of sites the will show a varity of HALO/HAHO rigs.

ParaFlite

CPS

Hey, I just checked out this new one. Yep, excatly one "Raider" rig that I saw it on tv show. I can see it heavy, sgt said it weight almost than 50 pounds if unequipment front during training.

Also, I realized, paratroopers used pull main by shoulder, not like regular sport skydive. It's seem more diffculty since reach it by bend the arm within elbow.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

well i am a military (USAF rigger for Spec. Ops) and an FAA rigger. some of the people that you saw in the HALO warrior show are the people that i work for. the BIG diffrence is in SIZE. my new military freefall rigs that are from CPS are called SOV3 (special operations Vector) made by RWS it basically is a Vector 3 but three times the normal sport rig. the main and reserve are both 375sq.ft. it is literally as large or larger than some tandem rigs. but i can zip in side wings for holding radios O2 bottles and other navigation items. i also have sigma tandems that are 400zp or 425. and the smallest at least the air force can go is a 1:1 ratio on wing loading for there canopie. and it freaks my guys out when i tell them i am 240 out the door and jump a 190.

and other questions just ask. i have alot of military parachute information if needed
"the sky is not the limit....the ground is"

'Also, I realized, paratroopers used pull main by shoulder, not like regular sport skydive. It's seem more diffculty since reach it by bend the arm within elbow.'

We use a rip cord because with all our equipment on we arent mobile enough to reach back for a hacky. It also allows us to see what were reaching for.

i also have sigma tandems that are 400zp or 425. and the smallest at least the air force can go is a 1:1 ratio on wing loading for there canopie. and it freaks my guys out when i tell them i am 240 out the door and jump a 190.

Pussies!!! :P
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Also remember that when you are landing a 100+ pounds rucksack, with 40 pounds of weapons and maybe a pair of snowshoes over your shoulder, at night, at an unfamiliar DZ, etc. .... there is no substitute for square footage overhead.
IOW the lighter the wing-loading the better.

Also remember that those harnesses are "one size fits nobody" so they have a half-dozen more buckles and adjustments than most sport harnesses.

for the reaching factor, just follow the main container with your hand, but indeed your setup is very important.

I want to argue the seeing the ripcord issue.
Remember the belly chest alti's ?
How many people de-arched to see their altimeter?
If you know you won't be able to see it, your not going to look for it.
so no de-arching just before opening.
aff is an easy option to switch to.
If setup with a drogue release on the same side as the hackey, there is just one action to be trained.
And yes, there are military rigs handdeploy operated.

A difference which isn't mentioned is that military rigs don't need to be TSO'ed

John

edit: moved the alti a few inches up :S

I know there's no need,
just tell the people who just start jumping.
And remember, the pressure in the military is a bit higher, (less time and more to learn in this time).

to mjosparky:
Didn't say it's easier to get a non TSO'ed rig approved, but imo it certainly is a difference between military/sport rigs.

John.

You seem ask a lot of questions on this site, but it's good thing. I have no idea about difference, since I'm not expert at military rig.

yes, i'm feeling a bit crotchety right now

kleggo

and it freaks my guys out when i tell them i am 240 out the door and jump a 190.

Maybe they are smarter than you are. Jumping a PD-176 reserve at 240 pounds out the door with you very limited experience is not the smartest choice you could make. :)

A difference which isn't mentioned is that military rigs don't need to be TSO'ed

Alpha Quals. can be more rigorous that TSO testing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Agreed!
The last time I visited RWS, Bill Booth grumbled that the military had tested Sigma tandems much heavier and much fast than civilian tandems, but they refused to share test data with the manufacturer.

Alpha Quals. can be more rigorous that TSO testing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Agreed!
The last time I visited RWS, Bill Booth grumbled that the military had tested Sigma tandems much heavier and much fast than civilian tandems, but they refused to share test data with the manufacturer.

If you are the civilian contractor doing the testing, you get to see the data. But they get real pissed if you tell.

We did one series of tests where the first out the door was a test item manufactured by company A and the next test item out the door was manufactured by company B. Both companies testing for the same contract. Makes for interesting after hours over beer conversations