cestarmm

How to pick out / find a rig?

So I'm new at this. With 12 jumps (including tandem) I'm interested in looking into my own rig, but have no idea of what to look for. My jumpmaster is also a rigger and he's looking as well. In the mean time I want to ask for your opinion as far as first rig goes. I'm about 5'7" 155lbs. What should I look for when it comes to first rig? What did you like/didn't like about your first rig? How big, what brand, etc. etc. ? Thanks.;)

So I'm new at this. With 12 jumps (including tandem) I'm interested in looking into my own rig, but have no idea of what to look for. My jumpmaster is also a rigger and he's looking as well. In the mean time I want to ask for your opinion as far as first rig goes. I'm about 5'7" 155lbs.

Required main lift web length for average proportioned people is about height in inches - inseam - 20.

At 5'10" and 30.5", I have longer harnesses than some guys 6'3" and beyond.

What should I look for when it comes to first rig?

It has to fit your body (the hip ring or legstrap junction overlaps your hip joint) and budget. It should not be loaded beyond 1.0 pounds/square foot - .1 per 2000 feet of density altitude.

You're going to be pushing 180 pounds out the door, which will get you a 190 main and reserve as a conservative starting point at sea level.

People will tell you that you'll be bored with it in 100 jumps (they're probably right) and to get something smaller (they're wrong). What's safe later will NOT be safe now. Skydiving mains and rigs depreciate about $1/jump; until you start buying new custom gear in your colors your total expenditure on gear can be the same whether you make all your jumps on one rig or own half a dozen serially.

It should have a CYPRES AAD and be "freefly friendly."

What did you like/didn't like about your first rig? How big, what brand, etc. etc. ? Thanks.;)

The original owner put 80 jumps on my first rig, left it in a closet for a while, and then sold it to me for $1700. The colors didn't suck (I think the container was grey & teal, main was dark blue) except for the reserve being the same color as the main (white or orange seem more effective in getting people to look for your freebag). What more could I ask for?