fallin

Buying Risers

I just bought a mirage g3 container/ and sabre 150 canopy. The seller never sent me any risers with the system. I think Ive been ripped off but I need new risers regardless.:S
Can anyone tell me how I go about getting the proper ones for the container/ parachute. Any help would be great as this is my first rig and Im a bit distraught .
Thanks

dude you got screwed. This brings up a good topic as I've had issues with this. Others please tell me if I'm wrong. When buying a:
CONTAINER it should come with risers, toggles, d-bag and pilotchute, freebag and pilot chute, reserve toggles.
CANOPY it should come with lines, slider, and LINKS.

2 times I've gotten a canopy where the links were taken off. I had to untwist every single line>:(
Na' Cho' Cheese

>>The seller still owes you about $100 towards a replacement set of risers.
<<

That's true.... unless the seller already considered that in his/her sale price.

It's important to have a pre-sale checklist when buying used gear. Make sure you ask the questions. What is obvious to you may not be so to the seller.... believe me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

The seller has dropped off the face of the earth I think--no hide nor hair! I did contact mirage and do know what Im looking for now---I do want to bother you guys with another question though...do I have to buy from mirage(for proper fit ect.)---I found risers through the 'jump shack' for about half the cost but they are advertised as racer/elite. Also what are your opinions on snap vrs velcro vrs elastic?
Thanks

Also what are your opinions on snap vrs velcro vrs elastic?
Thanks

Incorrect stowage that causes a toggle hangup is very rare on velcro toggles, they don't come loose on opening as long as you maintain the velcro (pile every few hundred jumps, hook side about half as often), and they don't lead to steering line replacement due to wear (spectra steering lines shrink enough to require replacement within a few hundred jumps regardless of what sort of toggle you use) when you place them back on the risers after landing & are careful packing.

Toggle hangups are more common on velcro-less toggles which lack a standard way of stowing the excess line, brake fires on opening used to be more common (this seems to have gotten better), and you don't need to be as careful with your steering line.

I haven't swapped any of my velcro toggles for velcro-less, but may switch to a velcroless snap toggle + elastic keeper for excess line on the next set of risers since it should be just as secure and lower maintenance.

Also what are your opinions on snap vrs velcro vrs elastic?
Thanks

Incorrect stowage that causes a toggle hangup is very rare on velcro toggles, they don't come loose on opening as long as you maintain the velcro (pile every few hundred jumps, hook side about half as often), and they don't lead to steering line replacement due to wear (spectra steering lines shrink enough to require replacement within a few hundred jumps regardless of what sort of toggle you use) when you place them back on the risers after landing & are careful packing.

Toggle hangups are more common on velcro-less toggles which lack a standard way of stowing the excess line, brake fires on opening used to be more common (this seems to have gotten better), and you don't need to be as careful with your steering line.

I haven't swapped any of my velcro toggles for velcro-less, but may switch to a velcroless snap toggle + elastic keeper for excess line on the next set of risers since it should be just as secure and lower maintenance.

I have had a couple of sets jumpshack risers with the snap toggles and the elastic on the bottom broke relatively quickly. I think they have a snap at the bottom now. I am just about to order a set - never a chance of losing a toggle on opening...love them.

my second choice would be velcro but I would be sure to change the velcro every 200 jumps or so...

rm

fallin,
There are cheaper options or you can stick with Mirage if you like. Velocity sports sells them for about $110. But generally speaking, they are an interchangible part.
Couple things to consider-
1. the attachment for risers to container is a 3 ring system which come in 2 sizes. Large and Mini rings. make sure you get the right size.
2. Stainless steel or Not? vanity mostly. both are very functional.
3. Make sure you tell if you have an RSL or not so they can put the ring on 1 of the risers.
4. Get Velcroless risers. pretty amazing that someone would argue otherwise.
5. length is the next issue. if your tall get maybe 22" if your short get 18" average is about 20 on a Mirage I believe.
6. standard is Black, make sure you mention if you want other than that.
If you've got any questions you can PM me and I'll help you.

Al
Watch out for planters.

fallin,
There are cheaper options or you can stick with Mirage if you like. Velocity sports sells them for about $110. But generally speaking, they are an interchangible part.
1. the attachment for risers to container is a 3 ring system which come in 2 sizes. Large and Mini rings. make sure you get the right size.
3. Make sure you tell if you have an RSL or not so they can put the ring on 1 of the risers.
5. length is the next issue. if your tall get maybe 22" if your short get 18" average is about 20 on a Mirage I believe.

Al

That's exactly why, I mentioned he should contact the manufacturer and give the serial number of the harness container. All that information is right there under that number in their files. That way, there are no mistakes. That's why, manufacturer's keep records.

Chuck

fallin,

Al

That's exactly why, I mentioned he should contact the manufacturer and give the serial number of the harness container. All that information is right there under that number in their files. That way, there are no mistakes. That's why, manufacturer's keep records.

Chuck

And a side note on the advice of buying Velocity Sports risers for Mirage as well as an RSL. VSE RSL setups are on the right, while the Mirage setup is on the left. You would need to inform VSE of the different RSL side if you chose to "save money" by buying another manufacturer's risers. (If you have an RSL.)

If you live by the ocean or you plan on pond swooping, you will want stainless to prevent oxidation from the moisture.

Long story short, I would order Mirage risers from the manufacturer or a dealer who can use your serial number to make sure you get the correct part...and get you the appropriate options for your needs.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

fallin,

Al

Chuck

And a side note on the advice of buying Velocity Sports risers for Mirage as well as an RSL. VSE RSL setups are on the right, while the Mirage setup is on the left. You would need to inform VSE of the different RSL side if you chose to "save money" by buying another manufacturer's risers. (If you have an RSL.)

If you live by the ocean or you plan on pond swooping, you will want stainless to prevent oxidation from the moisture.

Long story short, I would order Mirage risers from the manufacturer or a dealer who can use your serial number to make sure you get the correct part...and get you the appropriate options for your needs.

Mike

Good point, Mike!!! I've ordered many a set of risers for folks and always, get the serial number of the harness-container and order from the manufacturer of that harness-container. As we pointed-out, you stand much less chance of getting the 'wrong' risers when ordering from the manufacturer of the H/C. I explain this to my customer and I have yet, to have one balk at the idea.

Chuck