Smeger

Altimeter advice?

Hello all,

I have recently finished AFF level 7 and am now on my consol jumps. I'm starting to sort out my own gear and was wondering which altimeter to get. The Galaxy has been highly recomended to me, but it feels a little bulky. I find the FT50 sits nicely on the back on my hand and not on my wrist, plus it's smaller.

Am I missing anything important when it comes to choosing an altimeter or are the analog altimeters pretty much the same, it's just down to customer service?

Thanks!

Hi There,

I doubt you will notice the bulk for long. I've done thousands of dives with the "Alti II" and "Alti III" (Now known as the Galaxy) and have found it to be robust and reliable. All my AFF students use them, and dispite some less than perfect landings, they keep working.

Lara at alti 2 also provides 1st class customer service.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I was thinking of digital, but as i have only a few jumps i thought it best to get used to an analog first. I reckon i got enough things to worry about at this early stage before adding more complications lol.

I appreciate the advice though, thanks!

I rented an alti II this weekend, but I normally jump a glow face alti III.

The alti two did seem extra bulky, but it had a wrist strap instead of being straped on the back of my hand like I am used too.

Personally I love the alti III's that I have been using. They fit perfectly on the back of my hand.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

My Altimaster 2 is only 31 years old. One real advantage of a mechanical analog altimeter is that its failure mode won't be the same as an electronic one. If it breaks, it'll be clear pretty quickly when it stops moving or something. My eyes are a pretty decent backup as well.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I just graduated AFF and bought a digital altimeter (Neptune by Altimaster) and find it to be even easier to read than an analog altimeter. Don't think you have enough things to deal with, think what will be easiest for you to deal with.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I was thinking of digital, but as i have only a few jumps i thought it best to get used to an analog first. I reckon i got enough things to worry about at this early stage before adding more complications lol.

I appreciate the advice though, thanks!

Anologs are great for a lot of reasons. They're durable and reliable and don't need batteries. And (my opinion here) they're easier to read, you just look at which way that one needle is pointing. No need to read numbers.

Having an audible is a good idea too, it can be a very helpful reminder if you're distracted and not paying attention to other things, like the size of the landscape below (still the ONLY completely reliable method). An audible with an anolog is a great backup combination to your own set of eyeballs looking DOWN.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I got a Neptune on like jump 11. I found it easier to read than an analog (how anyone could have difficulty reading a number is a mystery to me), and quite frankly, I find the concept of a skydiver who is unable to adapt to a digital readout with huge numbers quite scary.

If you get an analog, get it because you like it better than a digital. No other reason. If you have ever looked at a digital watch and been able to tell what time it is, you'll do just fine on a digital altimeter.

If you get an analog, get it because you like it better than a digital. No other reason. If you have ever looked at a digital watch and been able to tell what time it is, you'll do just fine on a digital altimeter.

Now try reading that digital display while in a track. Looking straight on, LCDs are easy to read. At an oblique and an arms length away ... the needle wins. In a disorienting mal...never been in one, but I'm still betting it's easier to see if the needle is in or out of red rather than read the digits.

(how anyone could have difficulty reading a number is a mystery to me), and quite frankly, I find the concept of a skydiver who is unable to adapt to a digital readout with huge numbers quite scary.

I find the concept of a skydiver with 41 jumps lecturing someone with Tom’s experience on what is the only right altimeter to jump with just a bit arrogant. He has survived in this sport longer than you have been alive. (Probably)

For 30 years I have worn an Altimaster II for reasons other then I like it. I think it is a better choice. If it is broken it is obvious, it doesn’t need batteries, it is easier to see by me and others in freefall with me, it only costs $180 and comes with a 10 year guarantee. I have a couple that are over 20 years old and still work fine. I don't know of any didital that is 10 years old and still in service.

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I'm gonna get an analog regardless of how difficulty or easy they are to read, I would rather get something that doesn't need batteries, (other than Cypres before anyone points it out).

I just wanted to know if anyone has a preferred make of analog and way. Specifically between the FT-50 and Galaxy 3.

I appreciate eveybodies opinions so far as well. Thanks!