FlyingJarhead

Slinks, can someone give me some information on them?

Attached is an article I wrote for the PD website last year (be gentle, I was still pretty new). :$ It has a little more information than the link Hydroguy provided, but I'm not sure what you're looking to find out.

If you have specific questions about Slinks, maybe I can find out for you.

I hope this helps. :)

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

Thanks. :)

Occasionally, I have my moments... ;)

Unfortunately, we don't have an archive to hold old tips/newsletter articles, so it's not on the website anymore.

I'll just keep breaking them out as I see the need. :)

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

Hi i was curious about slinks.
if you know of articles let me know
how safe are they?
how are they connected?
how long do they last?

do they work on larger rigs?

any information is much appreciated -j

BTW - "SLINK" is a brand name (and a darn good brand too)... but be aware that there are other brands of similar "soft - links" available as well. Also, the SLINK is available for both mains and reserves (different models), but I am not sure if any other brand of soft-link is TSO'ed for reserve use... proceed with caution in the TSO use...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Also as far as I am aware PD Slinks are only approved with PR series reserves and IIRC not all of them. You can't use them on the 99 the 106 or the 281.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I vaguely remember Precision saying it was okay to install PD Slinks on Raven reserves, but then Precision introduced their own version of soft links.

Come on out to the drop zone, and I'll show you a set up close and personal. I can show you how to install and maintenance them too.

What maintenance is needed on Slinks ?

Kevin

"SLINK" is a brand name (and a darn good brand too)... but be aware that there are other brands of similar "soft - links" available as well.

Why do you mean Beware??? I have junmped the PD, Precision and Hyper Soft links as well as some rigger made links. Currently have one rig with Hyper and two rigs with Slinks... For reserve I have PD Slinks and heard that aerodyne had the TSO as well..

Again I am curious as to your warning on other brands?? I think they are well proven in a number of different brands and forms for mains..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

:$ My bad, I guess I cant read... I have not had a problem with any of the different types I have used and was curious why if it was what I thought it said..

I guess I scanned it quickly and since I have heard that some people that only use PD Slinks and vocaly state about not using anything else. I assumed that was a brand loyality with no real reason to not use another brand that I could see. Maybe I was hoping to see if there was some insite to that thinking..

Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Soft links are an unnecessary alternative to hard metal links often called 'French links' or 'Rapide links'. I believe they exist because it is cheaper and easier for manufacturers to make soft links with already existing material and labor resources as opposed to dealing with a supplier and managing stock. That being said, they work fine when properly installed
"It's only arrogance if you can't back it up"

Soft links are an unnecessary alternative to hard metal links often called 'French links' or 'Rapide links'. I believe they exist because it is cheaper and easier for manufacturers to make soft links with already existing material and labor resources as opposed to dealing with a supplier and managing stock. That being said, they work fine when properly installed

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here is my retort: steel Maillon Rapide links were banned in France shortly after they were introduced.

It seems that a ham-fisted French rigger over-tightened a Maillon Ralpide, cracking it, which caused a malfunction, etc.
Parachutes de France's response was to introduce tiny horseshoe-shaped stainless steel links with two tight-tolerance screws. Those silly little horseshoes were the standard in France until Parachutes de France invented re-useable soft links. P. de F. soft links are much more difficult to over-tighten.

The bottom line is that no piece of parachute equipment is idiot-proof because idiots are constantly inventing new ways to assemble components in ways that never crossed the inventor's mind - in his worst drunken nightmare!
... cue evil laughter!!!!!!

The main caution is about being careful to only install RESERVE SLINKS on PD reserves. Only half of PD's Slinks are TSOed for installation on reserves.

Similarly, Aerodyne's reusable soft links are TSOed for installation on reserves, but soft links from most other manufacturers are only approval for mains.