Telek

How much is a main canopy worth?

I'm looking at a few different mains and I'm wondering if there are any guides or sites out there which outline how much canopies are worth.

Specifically I'm looking at a Sabre 150 which has about 1200 jumps on it. Any idea how much it's worth?

Thanks for all your help!

As a (very rough) guide, I have heard people say "Take the price of a new canopy and subtract $1 per jump." (Which is going to be a little difficult since there are no new Sabres being produced, but you could perhaps start with the price of a similar canopy).

But there's a lot of other factors involved... date of manufacture, how many jumps since the lines were replaced, are there any holes/patches, where was it primarily jumped (different climates can have a different effect), are there any other problems with it.

Of course, the true "worth" is what someone's willing to pay for it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

if it is airworthy, I would say at least 400 bucks..

if you factor in a new lineset, and alot of other things, that price "may" go up.

but if you factor things like where it was jumped, needing lines, patches, that may go down just a bit.

I'm looking at a few different mains and I'm wondering if there are any guides or sites out there which outline how much canopies are worth.

Specifically I'm looking at a Sabre 150 which has about 1200 jumps on it. Any idea how much it's worth?

As a WAG, maybe $350-$400 with jumps left on the line set, subtract $150 if it's getting out of trim for new lines.

The rule of thumb street price - $1/jump doesn't really work for old canopies of any design - you'd start arround $1500, knock off 20% which is $300 for real street price, and at $1 a jump would reach 0 at 1200 jumps.

The availability of newer canopies which open nicer, land better, and are more exciting to fly also limits the amount of money you can get out of it. Given the choice between a Sabre and Spectre, most people will buy the later for the same money.

Ok, it is a Sabre-1 150 it has around 1200 jumps on it, 500 put on by the current owner (friend of mine). I know that the last 500 were done mainly in Toronto, Ontario, Canada only during the summer months (may-october). The line sets have probably 150-200 jumps left on them. I don't know where the first 700 jumps were done.

I looked around and haven't found many old Sabre-150's with this many jumps. There is one on the classifieds here with 1300 jumps for $250 with 300 jumps left on the line set. $250 sounds rather low, doesn't it? There's another one with 900 jumps and 250 left on current lineset for $650 (which sounds awefully high), and The others that I found are between $500-$700 with 300-600 jumps on them.

This is to be just a transitional canopy for my right now (my first). I'm 130lbs soaking wet so it should be a pretty decent first canopy (I already have a reserve and container). So I only plan on using it for a year or two, probably about 100 jumps, before I'll downsize. So although I know that there are a lot better canopies out there I just want something cheap for now.

I've flown it a few times and packed it, I didn't notice any holes or patches however I can't say that I was looking for them. I'll have to check into that.

Sabre1-150, Mfg 3/91 (yeah, it's old, but still flies fine), all light green with orange ribs and stabilizers, not sure the # of jumps on the lineset, but I've put 90 jumps on it. It is on mini-risers (reinforced - the red strip) with front riser dive loops and S-links. Has plenty of life left. If you e-mail Bonnie at [email protected], she can give you more pictures as some were taken this weekend. She has the canopy at the moment. It's a fine first canopy. I was looking for a Sabre2-135 and then a Sabre1-120 fell into my lap that only had 500ish jumps for $250. although I should have it relined sooner than later. The 150's lines are in better condition, but I'm sure a rigger can make be a better judge.

Ok thanks for the info,

So what I'm getting from this is that a Sabre 150 in decent condition that is around 15 years old with > 1000 jumps with old lines that still have 100 or so jumps left on them is worth somewhere around $300?

Does this sound accurate?

Yup. $300 sounds OK. If you put a new lineset on it (Don't go and wait the 100 jumps in case they're wrong about that) you should be able to sell it for $300 in about 150 - 200 jumps time when you're done transisioning.

I buy all my canopies in this range when they need a reline. They have plenty of life left on them, are cheap, easy to pack, open great and don't depreciate much. I usually keep them for 600 - 800 dives, reline and sell for what I paid. About $300. That gives me 600 - 800 jumps for the cost of a lineset.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Yup. $300 sounds OK. If you put a new lineset on it (Don't go and wait the 100 jumps in case they're wrong about that) you should be able to sell it for $300 in about 150 - 200 jumps time when you're done transisioning.

Hey, buddy, it is MY canopy - the lineset is not THAT bad (but certainly not new).:P

What are the dangers in jumping an old lineset? I know that certain lines can break during deployment, and if some lines have stretched more than others then it can put some extra stresses on the canopy, is there anything else? This one that I'm looking at I've flown a few times and it flies nice and straight and opens on heading, so I'm not too concerned about the lines just yet, but I'll have our rigger take a look over the canopy anyway and tell me what he thinks.

What are the dangers in jumping an old lineset?

Lines get old... canopy goes out of trim... thus:

- Landings (flare) start to go to shit.
- Openings can start to go to shit... I had an SBOS mal once that I feel was a result of jumping an original Sabre way past when it should have been relined.
- Old worn-out lines are more likely to break.
- You could die.