dropdeded

Civilian Helicopter Pilots??

Just kinda tossing the idea around in my head to learn to fly commercial helicopters and wondering what the job market is like?? I've been in EMS for about 4 1/2 years and may have to find a new career due to an injury. Kinda interested in the MediVac thing. I've got a brother in-law that trains pilots in Oakland/Alameda (police) and I'll hit him up when I can of course but I know theres some pilots on here.
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Not sure if it would help to cross train with the r/c stuff, but there is guy on here who made a system to control an r/c heli by using simlular controls as a real heli. It's a lawn chair with lots of levers.

Thanks for being an EMT. Go for it.

"relyon" is an offshore pilot.

I did a gig as a "medic" (notice the quotation marks;)) on a platform off Santa Maria in Ca, flew to work via Arctic Air's helicopter. I think Mike Mullins told me he did that also, hmmm.
The Dude Abides.
-

Learning to fly anything is expensive.
Learning to fly a helicopter, even more so.

Even if you're getting "free" instruction, the helicopter is going to be very, very expensive to operate. Even the "cheap" ones are much more expensive than some very nice training airplanes.

Do a LOT of research before going down this path.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Considering there are hundreds/thousands of retired Army Warrant officers with thousands of hours competing for the job..."snowball's chance in hell" mean anything to you?

Sorry, but reality sucks at times.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Considering there are hundreds/thousands of retired Army Warrant officers with thousands of hours competing for the job..."snowball's chance in hell" mean anything to you?

Sorry, but reality sucks at times.

Reality scares me not:| Im asking here for a reason, and your reply is one of the reasons why Im asking. I will say one thing though, I have definately reached some unnatainable goals, so this definately is NOT impossible. I dont even know for sure that my current career is kyboshed yet, just weighing my options. Thanks again for your straight forward reply.
The Dude Abides.
-

there are tons of jobs to be had flying offshore to the oil platforms. Many companies hiring but gotta have about 1000 hrs. Lots of military pilots NOT getting out of the service not wishing to take a pay cut. The offshore pilots start pay running $48 - $54K per year and the mil pilots making more than that..........

check out http://www.verticalreference.com/ and check around their forums......

EMS jobs require many more hrs to be hired.......

edit to add: That $48K to $54K is for 6 months work. You can make much more with overtime....

You may want to read the "Rotorheads" forum on the PPRUNE site here.

Many of the folks who post there are pro helicopter pilots from around the world. If you read the posts going back a few years you can begin to get a feel for what those guys have to deal with and what the prospects are.

Cheers,

shall
B|

there are tons of jobs to be had flying offshore to the oil platforms. Many companies hiring but gotta have about 1000 hrs. Lots of military pilots NOT getting out of the service not wishing to take a pay cut. The offshore pilots start pay running $48 - $54K per year and the mil pilots making more than that..........

check out http://www.verticalreference.com/ and check around their forums......

EMS jobs require many more hrs to be hired.......

edit to add: That $48K to $54K is for 6 months work. You can make much more with overtime....

Yep, and all those old guys that flew in Vietnam are starting to give it up. Should be lots of jobs for an offshore pilot. I heard you might even be able to duck the 1000 hr requirement at certain offshore helicopter companies. How you doin Buck?
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

reached an unattainable goal?, must have seemed unattainalbe but really was not

bottom line is you can solve anything if you throw enough money at it, the question is does it make any sense to do that
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Hey Rick! I tell ya, my bud that flies for PHI is telling me to drop the 50K for training and get on flying offshore.

I heard they were putting new hires on as SIC with around 500 hrs and after they build time then getting their own ship in a year or so.....?

ERA always made copilots out of low -timers and then turned them loose as a single-pilot vfr captains. We had a kid working in baggage handling and refueling that picked up his ratings and flew a little as an instructor who got hired. That happened 2 years ago and more senior captains have retired since then. I sure liked the 14 and 14 schedule better than the 7 and 7. When you going to apply?
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.