alexey

Technical info about Ukraine fatality 22.08

But...but...I want to know!;)

Ditto. The more I know, the better.

Well it looks like Mick had to clean the bathroom.

When you are joining two pieces of like material together the joint should have enough inches of stitching to equal the strength of the material being joined.

When joining 2 pieces of Type VIII webbing with 5 cord (40 lb.) at 5 SPI you need a minimum of 22.5 inches of stitching to equal the strength of the webbing. (4500 lb.) If you make a 3 inch 4 point or W W pattern you will get 27 inches of stitching which gives you more then the required stitches overall for the joint. 5 X 40 X 27 = 5400 pounds

If you were using Type VII webbing, 6500 lb., you would go to a 4” pattern, which would give you 36 inches of stitching. 5 X 40 X 36 = 7200 pounds

By wrapping the joint with a piece of something like Type 12 or Type IV you reinforce the joint against the load force being applied in a non-sheer or peel motion.

I hope this help more than confuses.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yup, makes sense. Hopefully Mick isn't having too many problems with the bathroom.

Just missing the bowl now and then!! Actually I had to go to work 1/2 way through the discussion:(

What Sparky said basiclly sums it up, it all comes under the heading of "joint efficency". I do find it interesting that the 4 point had no box around it (if I read the photo's correctly), the box not only adds additional stiching and thus joint strength it also provides another barrier to runaway shearing action by retarding/ impeding the inital load force during deceleration. A full confluence wrap of T4 3" and a 4 point box stitch is the best way to construct an upper harness junction involving canopy release hardware. All bets are off if the thread is substandard. I'm going to go out on a limb here but I am willing to bet the thread used in the harness construction is going to be untraceable as no TSO/ ISO process was in place (I'm guessing here based on what I saw in Russia in 1996).

Mick.

Just for grins, I decided to mock this up and play a little tug of war with a 50 lb. weight and one 6’ drop. The load on the junctions was taken in peel just as a reserve risers may load on a diagonal due to an undesirable body position at deployment. This is not the first time I have seen this type of damage.

If I had a very old spool of 5 cord laying around I would have compared it as well. I’m sure the results would have been just as predictable.

The top mockup has the box across the top of the 4 point stitch pattern with a type 12 confluence wrap and 5.5 SPI.

The bottom mockup has no box across the top of the 4 point with a 3” type 4 confluence wrap and 5.5 SPI.

Guess it s pretty obvious why we left that box stitch in when the RW1’s and RW7 came out.

Jeff

Hi Sparky,

One caveat to your calculations: back when I was a young rigger (yes, Sparky; just after they discovered dirt) and doing some very crude harness designing, an old rigger out here on the west coast by the name of Eddie Brown helped/taught me a lot. He always said to reduce your calculations by 15% because of thread damage as it goes through the sewing machine.

I always have and I always will.

I use the assumption that the thread is the cheapest item in a rig.

Jerry

PS) A nice explanation; there is hope for you.

It looks like you tested both methods on the same drop. For the test to be valid you would need to test each one separately. That way you know that the given load was taken by just the one joint. jmo

Even if they were done together it still validates the point about the "box" pattern. All things being equal the load would have been shared by both joints, this is scary as it means aprox 1/2 the force used was required to seperate the joint.

Mick.

Mick,
Thanks for pointing that out. That’s all I intended to do in the first place and why I called it a little tug of war, just for grins. This was only a little 25 min. test to highlight the first obvious flaw in that system you previously pointed out in this thread.

Sparky,
Had I intended put some real numbers on it, I would drawn up test program and the drops would not have been in my office and taken far longer than 25 min. to only find out what we learned over 25 years ago.
Jeff

And, here is a new example of the work from same company -

size correction of Racer

http://www.skycentre.net/index.php?showtopic=2231&st=0

Smart construction >:(

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Those stitch patterns look cute - sort of like old Soviet military surplus harnesses - and "busy", but the chest and hip joints are so small that they don't have enough stitches to be very strong.Good thing that chest strap is wrapped around the MLW.

I am not quite sure why they bothered with that bottom confluence wrap ... Rigging Innovations just uses a row of E-thread zig-zag stitching.

I have no idea what they are saying so I'm trying to understand the pic. Does the front riser come down and wrap around the hip ring and go back up and terminate before it goes through the main 4 point?
Does the rear turn back up to become the loop for the RW-1? Where is the diaganal from the back?

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Ok, I'll try to explane.

That rigger was asked to shorten MLW.
So, he remove chest strap, and cut some lenth from inside layer of MLW. (so make MLW shorter)

Then he made new cheststrap and "confluence wrap" above hip ring.

So, the front reserve riser go thry 3-ring, down to the hip ring, then do up and termanate just above chest strap.
And back reserve riser is just sewed by main stitch pattern.

But - after installation on chesrstrap and low confluence wrap the pocket for reserve handle became so small, that reserve hanle always fall out.

After two-out because of that, jumper give that system to different rigger, he opened mudflaps and was schoked...:S
Lexa

The main error in the harness lies in the lower confluence just above the hip ring not under the mud flap. Type XVII is far too small and requires a four point stitch over type VIII.

The termination under the mud flap isn't the problem, it's the poor confluence at the ring.

... well that and the chest strap is the backwards:S
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

And, here is a new example of the work from same company -

size correction of Racer

http://www.skycentre.net/index.php?showtopic=2231&st=0

Smart construction >:(

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Those stitch patterns look cute - sort of like old Soviet military surplus harnesses - and "busy", but the chest and hip joints are so small that they don't have enough stitches to be very strong.Good thing that chest strap is wrapped around the MLW.

I am not quite sure why they bothered with that bottom confluence wrap ... Rigging Innovations just uses a row of E-thread zig-zag stitching.

Rob,

Looking at the pic's it's a good thing that the lower confluence is there. If I'm seeing it correctly, all of the structural stitching on the main lift webs amounts to two small three points and 3/8 " of the upper 4 points that catch the very tip of the MLW turn back. It would tear the webbing to shreads if heavily loaded with out the two three points below it.

Excluding the afore mentioned 3/8 " of stitching catching the MLW turn back (useless under load), the two three points (30 spi x 40 lb = 1200 + 40 spi x 40 lb = 1600 lb) =2800 lb total. Below the webbing strength, but above the hardware limit although, not by much it is not a good scenario, there is ZERO over build in this harness!!

The weak point is the single layer of T 7 left below the upper 4 point. One can only hope this "rigger" got his thread from a different scource than the stuff used in the other harness we have been discussing. Yikes!!

Mick.

The main error in the harness lies in the lower confluence just above the hip ring not under the mud flap. Type XVII is far too small and requires a four point stitch over type VIII.

The termination under the mud flap isn't the problem, it's the poor confluence at the ring.

... well that and the chest strap is the backwards:S

Couldn't DISSagree more, see my post to Rob one post back. I't explains my reasoning.

Mick.

The weak point is the single layer

Shit, you're right it is T 13!! It's early here on the west coast, gimmie a break. But the weak point is still there when compared to the overall design. Harness webbing has a tendency to fail at the ends of stitch patterns when loaded to destruction. My bad about the T7/ T13 thing, yawn.

Mick :|

Ok, I'll try to explain.

That rigger was asked to shorten MLW.
So, he remove chest strap, and cut some length from inside layer of MLW. (so make MLW shorter)

Then he made new cheststrap and "confluence wrap" above hip ring.

So, the front reserve riser go through 3-ring, down to the hip ring, then do up and terminate just above chest strap.
And back reserve riser is just sewed by main stitch pattern.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In comparison, if you mailed your Flexon or Talon ('94, 2, 3, FS, etc.) or Voodoo back to Rigging Innovations for the same harness re-size, they would cut out the old MLW and discard it.
Then they would pull fresh Type 7 webbing off the roll, mark it on a production template and sew it onto the old harness.
The new webbing would start at the front reserve connector link, go down through - through the slot in the 3-Ring - through the hip (or chest) ring, then back up to the rear reserve connector link .... sort of an over-grown set of reserve risers.
By using one piece of webbing and wrapping it around the hip ring, you vastly reduce the importance/dependence upon stitching.

and the chest strap is the backwards:S

Just like all Racers B|.

Actually, the one in the pic is the right way for other rigs but backwards for a racer which is backwards to all the others which means the right direction is the wrong direction. That means if he put it on right, it would be the wrong way round for other gear but he put it on wrong because he thought it should go the right way and ... uh ....

....What the hell am I talking about?!?:o
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

In comparison, if you mailed your Flexon or Talon ('94, 2, 3, FS, etc.) or Voodoo back to Rigging Innovations for the same harness re-size, they would cut out the old MLW and discard it.
Then they would pull fresh Type 7 webbing off the roll, mark it on a production template and sew it onto the old harness.
The new webbing would start at the front reserve connector link, go down through - through the slot in the 3-Ring - through the hip (or chest) ring, then back up to the rear reserve connector link .... sort of an over-grown set of reserve risers.

True enough but the mod that was done was not that far off the mark, it just simply showed a lack of understanding on the concept of joint efficiency when the lower confluence was done incorrectly and went unnoticed because of the assumtion that the webbing continued in through the three ring and upwards.

You can't blame the rigger for different design process of the original manufacturer. Racers and Talons are different animals.

What is in question is not the rigger's desire to do take short cuts but his/her lack of understanding of design and the basic rigging concept of joint efficiency.

The lack of understanding could be the route of the failure on the student gear.