RALFFERS

If you had the chance....would you

Start your own business? I currently work for a insurance broker, but really want to move on. To make a long story short, the opportunity to open an office for Farmers presented itself. From what I've been told, it's a no-brainer, and yet I'm hesitant. For the first 2 years they pay you a base salary of $1,500.00 per month + commission off of what you sell; to assist in your sales there is a ongoing training program in place, and a marketing staff. People associate Farmers, State Farm and Allstate as good companies. Also, for that first 2 years there are separate funds in place to assist in the payment of office space and whatnot. The only thing holding me back is the fact that you have to sell 40 property and casualty policies, which means a combination of home, auto and business insurance, and 4 life policies month to month. Maybe its just me, but that seems like a lot. I find myself toying with the idea nonetheless because it would put me in a better position now. As for right now, I work on a commission basis at the broker, and when people do come in i could sell a policy with no problem; although I don't have much sales experience, I like being around and talking with people....when it comes to interacting with clients I don't even think of it as "selling" it has begun to come naturally. The added challenge of working for a broker is getting the client comfortable with the product; you'd be surprised to learn how many people never heard of AIG, Metlife...or even Progressive. People see Farmers, Allstate or State Farm and they get a sense of security. I figure that with $1,500 base pay plus commission of the 44 policies I could make $3,000+ per month, which is a hell of a lot more than what I'm making now. 44 Policies does seem like a lot though [Crazy] What would you do?
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Yeah, the base salary looks way low. What happens if you don't make the required sales for a month or two?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

That does sound like a lot of policies Ralph...what #'s are you currently selling now?

If I get 6-10 policies a week its a good week. However, that's only because most of our business comes from general contractors in the form of general liability and workmans comp policies......and because construction is slow for now (at least around here) none of us are doing too good [:/] Of course, it doesn't help that our office is disorganized because my boss is too "busy" playing golf all over, vactioning and starting other business ventures...

Yeah, the base salary looks way low. What happens if you don't make the required sales for a month or two?

that is a low base salary, but it would be enough to make it by. Our mortgadge pays for itself between our tenents...plus, the comm of the 44 policies would suffice. The distract manager really didn't say what happens if you don't make the 44. She claimed they don't runinto that problem with their agents do to the marketing and sales support....:S I'm trying to contact my personal farmers agent in regards to this matter.

me...I'd sell cat food & sex toys, the customers are always so much more...interesting!:ph34r:

Ok....I get cat food....I get sex toys........but cat food AND sex toys??...:o:D LOL

Hey...if you saw a sigh that said "Cat Food & Sex Toys"

...Wouldn't you stop in? :$:)B|

Yeah........I think most of us would.

Ever think about going into marketing? ;)

Hummmm...maybe, after I get this whole prison thing over! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

LMFAO! :D

this worlf presents many fine opportunites.....just don't get caught next time......and they say I never learn... :ph34r:

LMFAO! :D

this worlf presents many fine opportunities.....just don't get caught next time......and they say I never learn... :ph34r:

Hell..I didn't get caught LAST time!

...It was the time before! >:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I started my own insurance company that was located in a big real estate office. It worked for the first 2 years then i started to go broke. Sales became a depressing torture. I was stressed and unhealthy. I lasted 5 years in the insurance biz after 5 years of college before that. That's about 10 years of being broke.:|

I cut grass now. Low stress, lots of money and my health is good. I never want a job in sales again.

Could have been a real estate agent with everything going for me too, but now they all envy me. The office i worked at is going down the drain. All the agents are broke/ don't even want listings because nothing is selling. Meanwhile the grass is growing like mad.:D

My advice; Do what is right for you... and do it well.

Just a thought...what If I was to use internetleads. There are two tpes, b/s leads lising hust phone numbers, and leads from which people wish to be cakked back, for example, all the people who willingly give their information online because they want a quote for a house, a car, etc, etc... Of course, than the question becomes do they want a good policy or are they just shopping around for prices...:S