slotperfect

Vans (On Your Feet) - Why Do You Wear Them?

Edited to add: responses from Vans wearers only, please . . .

If you wear Vans on your feet while skydiving, what is the main reason you choose them over other brands/types of shoes?

I wear them myself for specific reasons, but would like to hear from others as to why they choose to skydive in Vans.
Arrive Safely

John

I wore Vans until recently when I switched to Mizuno Wave Creation 7.
The Mizuno's are more comfortable, lighter, a lot springier, and allow my feet to 'breath' unlike the Vans which tend to get my feet too hot.

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.

Whenever I go shoe shopping I always pick the ones with the smoothes soles.

Right now though, I'm sporting a pair of ShaSha sk8 shoes... Why? Cuz they've got flames. They make me go faster.

http://www.recklessop.com/shasha_sk8.htm

_Am

I hope those flames work out for you.

Do you like the smooth soles to slide your feet on the swoop, or is it for the lack of bumps to catch a line on the parachute - or both? If both, do you really feel a risk wearing knobby soles on shoes for malfunctions?

Err... isn't that what the "OTHER" catagory is for...

Nope. That is for "I wear Vans for reasons OTHER than provided in the poll. I edited the "other" poll option to make it clearer.

I see a ton of skydivers wearing Vans. I am simply trying to find out why they make that choice.
Arrive Safely

John

Do you like the smooth soles to slide your feet on the swoop, or is it for the lack of bumps to catch a line on the parachute - or both? If both, do you really feel a risk wearing knobby soles on shoes for malfunctions?

For me it's the landing slide. I'm not overly concerned with catching a line.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Smooth soles.

Africa is covered in little bumps and any type of "Marathon shoes" stands a 1000 to one chance of hooking - which will pound you in for no reason every couple of years.

That and I'm an old CRW Dog who's hooked lines on shoe bumps when leaving - with interesting results.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I see a ton of skydivers wearing Vans. I am simply trying to find out why they make that choice.

Hmmm... like a lot of things along these lines, its probably a lot less "scientific" then you think... its probably just "style"... most skydivers are just lemmings when it comes to such things... :P:S:)

I have quite a few pairs of them as I still BMX and they hold up the best and there comfortable so they are my general wear shoes when I'm not wearing my Blundstone boots.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

I started wearing Vans as a kid in the 80's. I wore them Skate Board'n and BMX'n.

When I got on a Demo Team we found all black Vans for CHEAP and we all got a pair. We did look at other shoes but the Vans happened to be the Cheapest at the time.

I buy my Shoes from a discount outlet as they wear out pretty quick, Running shoes only last 4 to 6 months max and the Jumping foot wear lasts about 6 to 8 months.

I may buy other brands when the dicsount outlet starts caring them in my size (draw back of a high arch, wide foot) , but till then I will stick with a shoe I have been wearing for 30 years.

I still have a set (Moms keep crazy shit some times) of Vans that I got in '84. They are still sold today as "Old School", whe nthe neigborhood kids see me and point out my "Old School" shoes I tell the mthey are wrong they are "Original School":)
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!