Shotgun

Scuba - anyone ever have any major problems?

Bill, aka D_22369 on dz.com, had to bring his very experienced diving partner back from the dead a few months ago.

What caused him to be temporarily dead?

Drowning at depth, but I don't remember why. Bill (the same guy who landed in that tree in Lodi ;)) should chime in here.

Blues,
Dave

Gee thanks for bringing up that friggin tree AGAIN DaveB| First off Scuba is a pretty tame sport IF you dive within the recreational limits that you will learn in your openwater class. It's been said over and over already in this thread take your time on the way back up and DONT FORGET TO BREATH
(I'm not yell'n just stressing the point;))

What Dave is talking abought was a NEAR drowining involving myself and the Instructor I work with i'm just a lowly dive master. My buddy was diving a closed circut re-breather and had a mal with one of the o2 sensors. His o2 spiked and he went toxic theirs a reallllllllllllly long word thats the correct name but basicaly he went hyperoxic not hypoxic he was reciving to much 100% o2. he blacked out and drowned on me.

On the up side we were pretty shallow and at the start of our dive only 40' or so... on the way up he suffered an embolisim in his left lung. since he was unable to exhale the expanding gas ruptured his lung...hence dont hold your breath! At the surface he was unresponsive...again on the up side my rescue instructor was a ball bust'n bitch that ran me ragged for three days... so every thing just kinda happened screamed my freak'n head off to get 911 rolling rescue breaths got him out of his gear bla bla bla more rescue breaths a long time later aound 3 min. the fire department showed up we got him out of the water and we spent the next week at Harbourview in Seattle. Belive it or not that IS the short story. Jason is doing fine and just received his ok from the doc to start diving again after a breif 6 months off.

Maby I should have said this first we are both verry experianced and we were doing a lot of tec diving befor the accident. So dont let this put you off scuba it is a fairly safe sport and theirs a whole nother world for you to discover just a few feet below the surface. Things that will blow your mind and put a huge smile on your face.

So go get your cert and have a good time if your ever in the N.W. and want to see some really cool shit I know a couple good spots!

Sorry for the crappy spelling but i'm in a hurry Its time for Prime rib and BEERB|

Bill

I just finished my scuba class - pool and the classroom portion of it. The only thing that I had to deal with was cramping in the calves. B| And yes, I stretched before class but it still happened for me.

I'm doing my open water dives in June - and I fully expect calf cramps then. :D

Yikes, well I guess I'll pay close attention to stretching my legs!

Where are you doing your open water dives? I'm doing mine in June too, but I'm not sure where yet (probably somewhere around San Diego).

my wife and i got certified 2 years ago, and dive laguana regually. once you get certified, go get your advanced dive, rescure dive, tech dive...and other certs...contiuned training is really good.

oh, and we dive at night, when all the cool preditors and neat stuff is out!

and dive laguana regually

Where is that?

If I like it, I'll probably go for the advanced stuff, but I'm not even sure if I'll like it yet (though I think I will!). And the night stuff sounds really cool...

This d is my one recommendation to all people who SCUBA, if you plan on doing it as a Hobby PLEASE get certified to at LEAST Advanced divers cert. PREFERABLY to Rescue Diver Cert.

PADI courses are not what they once were:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Where is that?

If I like it, I'll probably go for the advanced stuff, but I'm not even sure if I'll like it yet (though I think I will!). And the night stuff sounds really cool...

sorry,

Laguna Beach, CA.

"Divers" Cove is a very basic dive....30-40 feet, decent reef. it is a shore dive, where you enter through the waves. the night diving is like night jumping...it really awakens your senses. plus, at night you will see more aquatic life. last dive we spotted some small sharks...nice ones though...not great whites!

where are you located?

Where is that?

This d is my one recommendation to all people who SCUBA, if you plan on doing it as a Hobby PLEASE get certified to at LEAST Advanced divers cert. PREFERABLY to Rescue Diver Cert.

PADI courses are not what they once were:|

Amen to that Rescue isnt just for the people you dive with it's for you as well!

P= put
A=another
D=dollar
I=in

Yikes, well I guess I'll pay close attention to stretching my legs!

Where are you doing your open water dives? I'm doing mine in June too, but I'm not sure where yet (probably somewhere around San Diego).

Definitely stretch them. :)
My open water dives are June 2nd and June 23rd at one of the local quarries. I'm excited and can not wait! :)
Have fun with the class - I know that I did.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Oh, and what happens if you hold your breath? (I'm sure they'll go over that in class, but I'll ask here anyway.)

You are breathing compressed air. As you ascend, the compressed air you have in your lungs will expand. By continuing to breathe normally (or at minimum continuing to blow bubbles) you allow the expanded air to escape. If you hold your breath the expanded air has nowhere to go and can cause an overexpansion injury, to the point of rupturing your lungs.

Have fun, be safe, and find good dive buddies! They make all the difference in the world!
Killing threads since 2004.

I started SCUBA about 2 years ago and it still scares me way more than skydiving ever did.

I think it's because the dangers are not as visible.

Me too. I have way more SCUBA experience than skydiving, but I still get the heebie jeebies a little heavier in the water than in the air. For me I think it has to do with putting my life in the event something goes wrong in my buddy's hands. I had a buddy almost breath a tank dry. We started full, but I think the excitement of getting some good video got to him and he must have been breathing much harder than normal. We had agreed to let each other know when we were down half a tank, and when I did so he noticed that he was just about dry. During our last deco stop and to the surface he buddy breathed off my octo, and it really hit me when it occurred to me how his not paying attention to his guages could have affected me if I'd had an equipment problem. :S Thankfully all was fine, and it was a good confidence booster to have been able to recognize a problem and deal with it.

And the best thing ever is you CAN pee while scuba diving, but it's not a good idea to pee while skydiving.

Yeah, uh, but if you get in the habit of peeing while in a wetsuit, just try to remember to change the rules if you happen to be wearing a drysuit. :$:$:$

I Have over 1000 dives and have been an instructor for a long time. There are rules and people like to challenge those rules, that's usually when things go bad.

Just like in Skydiving - things can happen - but if you take the nec precautions and prepare properly - It's a hell of a good time

PM me if you have any specific questions

Scott
"there's a fine line between hobby and mental illness"

I started SCUBA about 2 years ago and it still scares me way more than skydiving ever did.

Whereas I'm the opposite. I've done 20-odd dives, but since I'm not seriously into looking at fish, it all got a little boring. Was nice to learn though.

Anyone want to buy a Suunto Stinger? Only dived twice...

I have been diving for 4 years and every now and then I get that feeling like I did on my very first dive.
It only comes around when I haven't been diving in a while or I'm in a new place with new people.
After a few minutes it goes away.

I love diving, I wish I could have learned to dive sooner.

Heather
Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.

when I used to teach (DM rating), I suggested to my students to equalize their ears at the surface before submersing. This usually helps with any slight head congestion.
If you have any problems in the ears ascend 10ft and try again, then proceed on the dive.
Like skydiving, do gear checks prior to the dive. nothing sucks more then to splash in and decsent to 20ft, only to forget to hook up your drysuit. That sucks.
Remember that the dive table are NOT suggested bottom times. Your acsent should not be faster then 30ft/min. Regardless of what your manuals say. (I found this out the hard way by the recompression doctor!!)
Assuming your taking your course through PADI, once you have your Openwater cert, take future courses through NAUI or SSI. (As PADI stands for Put Another Dollar In.)
Allows have dive insurance, even if your diving just around the corner from your house. most people feel they don't need it unless on a vacation. DAN offers this besides some other companys.
hope this helps!

I still believe scuba is more dangerous than skydiving. Just seems like so much more can go wrong.

I agree!! There are more failure points in scuba equipment. About 95% of these failure points the diver can't check until the anual servicing. (such as O-rings, High Pressure seats, oil/moisture in tanks too name the major causes.)
In 15 years of diving I have seen many equipment failures. My worst was a double reg failures (2 first stages blew apart) in 250fsw. thank god for my dive buddy!

I had a problem one time. I nearly drowned.

Following along the bottom in the Alafia River in FL picking up shark's teeth. Simply floating along with the current, nose stuck to the bottom because the water is very brackish with tannin...6-8 inch visibility.

BAM! I ran smack dab into a hideous monster! The one from your worst nightmare.

I screamed like a little school girl (blurbleAIEEEEEEgurgle) and nearly drowned myself...after I got over the shock I realized it was only a manatee.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Had a dive partner who would get sea sick...though the fish loved it, so it was win win for me. :ph34r:

Never any issues with diving, just listen to all the other posts and your instructor....never hold your breath, and take your time coming up.....also, you want to be out of the water with at least 500 (or a lil lower) on your guage. At least thats my rule and again, never had any problems.

SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Had a dive partner who would get sea sick...though the fish loved it, so it was win win for me. :ph34r:

That happened to a buddy of mine on a great wall near malaysia. His head looked like scanners with all of the sea life divebombing it from out of the wall. Chummers.