Shotgun

Scuba - anyone ever have any major problems?

I'm sitting here reading the medical form that I need to have signed for the scuba course I'm taking next week, and reading about all the stuff that can go wrong is sort of freaking me out. Not sure why I'm more concerned about this than I was about getting into skydiving (perhaps because I don't understand the complications that can occur in scuba as much), but I'm curious if any of you have ever had any major problems while scuba diving?

(I'm asking on here because I know a lot of you are into scuba as well as skydiving. And of course I'm going to discuss this with my doctor and my instructor.)

Before you go on a trip, get any iffy dental fillings replaced.

Make sure you never dive w/the slightest bit of head congestion.

Dont scuba and then jump w/o at least 24hrs between.

NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

That's like asking "has anyone ever had a skydiving related problem?" The sport is varied and has several disciplines just like skydiving.

That said, I know you were more looking from a general health perspective -- The only thing I can think of (assuming your health is pretty normal/average) is if you tend to have issues with pressure in your ears/nose, in which case that could be a pretty big problem with scuba diving. The reason for that is as you know, with diving there's a concept of "equalizing" your air spaces as these get compressed or expand depending what your doing. If you had issues with pressure (and clearing such pressure) on land those will most likely be magnified under water.

Knowing how to swim is good too :) (don't laugh some really poor swimmers are scuba divers, mui included to some extent)

*Was just re-reading your post and I think maybe your thinking of it in regards to emergency procedure and how things happen REALLY fast in skydiving -- that's not necessarily the case in scuba where slow & steady is the name of the game.
-Patrick

It has one major advantage over skydiving: If you run out of air, you can go back up and get more.:P

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Bill, aka D_22369 on dz.com, had to bring his very experienced diving partner back from the dead a few months ago.

What caused him to be temporarily dead?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Bill, aka D_22369 on dz.com, had to bring his very experienced diving partner back from the dead a few months ago.

What caused him to be temporarily dead?

Drowning at depth, but I don't remember why. Bill (the same guy who landed in that tree in Lodi ;)) should chime in here.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I still believe scuba is more dangerous than skydiving. Just seems like so much more can go wrong. It's fun stuff though so i'll continue doing both. have fun in your class.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Yep, My instructor (also a skydiver) really let us know all of the different things that can go wrong. and at least to me there are more in scuba. now not so much in shallow dives but when you get to deeper depths it grows.... It's like anything else. it risk VS Benefit, and for me the Benefit is SO GREAT!!!!!!
Go for it......:)

HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

Make sure you never dive w/the slightest bit of head congestion.

This is one of the things I'm concerned about. I almost always have a bit of a stuffy nose, but not usually bad enough to take anything for it. I guess I'll find out if it's bad enough to be a problem.

Oh, and what happens if you hold your breath? (I'm sure they'll go over that in class, but I'll ask here anyway.)

This is one of the things I'm concerned about. I almost always have a bit of a stuffy nose, but not usually bad enough to take anything for it. I guess I'll find out if it's bad enough to be a problem.

I have sniffles a lot too. Because of that, i usually need to descend slower to equalize my ear pressure.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Was just re-reading your post and I think maybe your thinking of it in regards to emergency procedure and how things happen REALLY fast in skydiving

I guess I'm more familiar with the risks in skydiving (such as broken bones), but stuff like "decompression sickness" and "arterial gas embolism" sound scarier to me for some reason, probably because I'm not familiar with them... So I'm sure I'll be more comfortable when I learn more. I only just started learning, and I started by reading the medical form; maybe I should read the fun stuff first. :D

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced that type of problem and how bad it was...

I have over 20 years SCUBA instructing and the Biggest problem i have is idiots who dont listen, and do things they are told to not do.:ph34r::ph34r:
Pay attention in class and ASK if you are not sure of anything:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced that type of problem and how bad it was...

I'ver been mildy bent a couple of times.
and I've had to EVAC a few people who polaris out of the water from 20 meters.
My mild bend was achy for a bit. There major bends were a lot more achey wone with accomapaning blood and frothiness
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I just finished my scuba class - pool and the classroom portion of it. The only thing that I had to deal with was cramping in the calves. B| And yes, I stretched before class but it still happened for me.

I'm doing my open water dives in June - and I fully expect calf cramps then. :D

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.