christoofar

Skydive by taking the... subway? CrossKeys may get a train!

So... who gets to the DZ other than hitchhiking, a rice burner motorcycle or ratty-ass Ford Fuckus or the pickup with the gun rack on it? B|

How about taking the subway?

Glassboro township (next door to Cross Keys) might get a sweetheart deal if the cards fall correctly. The Governor of Pennsylvania just signed a deal with the almost-but-not-dead Gov. of New Jersey which includes extending the PATCO train (it is a subway in Philadelphia, runs over a bridge, and then runs as an elevated to Lindenwold, NJ).

PATCO says it will extend the line into the center of Glassboro, which puts it within walking/biking distance of Philly's^H^H^H^HNew Jersey's favorite DZ.

This will be cool. I can get current again at XK and not sit in traffic in the hood (Camden) to do it.

I use most of the subways in Philadelphia now as it is. I wonder if I'll start seeing skydiving ads on the train in a few years. :)
Fuck the shore! Skydive! :P

Bizzzy! :P

Well that and recouperating a long time from a nasty shoulder injury that put me out... then life changed and got more fast-paced.

I went to living in the country, to suburbia... now in a high rise apartment and I might get in my car once every month or so... at best (gas prices? what are they now? I hear people talking about them a lot).. :P

I decided I'm getting back in this summer. I can't ignore the fun across the river from me. Will be buying a new rig, going back to my original canopy type (Sabre-2), etc. The gym has paid off--I've avoided surgery and haven't had a shoulder-failure in 2 years now.

Bizzzy! :P

Well that and recouperating a long time from a nasty shoulder injury that put me out... then life changed and got more fast-paced.

I went to living in the country, to suburbia... now in a high rise apartment and I might get in my car once every month or so... at best (gas prices? what are they now? I hear people talking about them a lot).. :P

I decided I'm getting back in this summer. I can't ignore the fun across the river from me. Will be buying a new rig, going back to my original canopy type (Sabre-2), etc. The gym has paid off--I've avoided surgery and haven't had a shoulder-failure in 2 years now.

HOORAY!!! :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I wouldn't say it's good... but it's different and I'm paying into my retirement 10x faster than I did in Texas. If/when I ever move back and it's still cheap down there I'll be rich! :P

It's amazing how much some people make... a union janitor makes more up here than an VP at companies I know way down there... but then the prices for everything are over double.

My car costs (it's paid for) were about $11,400 the year I moved up here if you add-in 3K for repair work. Now the poor thing collects dust in a garage in a hole in South Philly and gets temporary insurance when I need to use it.

Glad to see you still here. Oh wow and my post count is low low low. I'm a friggin' noob! :$

The reality of it is that if a mass commuter spot pops up there then the area will be further developed. Basically, you can say goodbye to all of those nice alternate landing areas around the DZ. So...goodbye CrossKeys.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The reality of it is that if a mass commuter spot pops up there then the area will be further developed. Basically, you can say goodbye to all of those nice alternate landing areas around the DZ. So...goodbye CrossKeys.

Its Debby Downer! (cartoon sound...woh..woh..woh..wohwohwohwoh)

all of those nice alternate landing areas around the DZ

outs at xkeys? haha, thats a good one.

There may have been a couple good outs in the 90's, but I think a new neighborhood has taken over the empty field nearby... :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

you know, now that i think about it, the roof of Home Depot and the movie theatre are probably big enough to be an out:P

:D:D:D I remember those driving to the DZ. You're probably right! :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

all of those nice alternate landing areas around the DZ

outs at xkeys? haha, thats a good one.

I'm not sure why Cross Keys has the reputation of not having many outs. If you decide by 3000 that you'd rather not risk getting caught in trees trying to make it back to the landing area, there are plenty of outs in the vicinity to land in.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

If you decide by 3000

exactly.

im not trying to turn this into a "xkeys does/doesn't have outs" debate. let's get back to the original topic. i think the subway will be a great opportunity, especially for hauling tourists from the city who want to do tandems.

I drove down there for my first jump at X-keys yesterday - Gang couldn't have been nicer. Very cool people. Made it from X-Keys to the Lincoln Tunnel in just over an 85 minutes. Then I sat in Lincoln Tunnel traffic for the remaining 3.9 miles of my journey for 45 minutes. :)

But the 2 jumps I made were spectacular. I'll be back.

A train would rock.

X-keys is a sool place to jump. Just pull high. Sometimes on the King Air loads the spot can be a little long ond you'll be heading back to the landing area already in the windline, but if ou hold your brakes and pull highenough you'll be fine.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Getting to Glassboro from New York City (and then either biking or getting someone to pick you up from the DZ) would be a PITA.

If the PATCO extension existed now... this is what you'd have to do:

- Go to Penn Station
- Take AMTRAK to Philadelphia (or part B)
- From 30th Street Station, you have to go OUTSIDE... then get on the Market-Frankford subway to 8th and Market
- From 8th and Market, switch to the PATCO subway
- Ride PATCO til the end of the line

That would take friggin forever!

Part B - if you're too cheap to do AMTRAK
- From Penn Station, take NJT to Trenton
- Take SEPTA (Philadelphia's train system) to 30th street

You can get to CrossKeys from New York City if you can get a cabbie to drive you there once you arrive on the train in Philadelphia, but the cost is pretty high. There's also the Chinatown bus which gets you to Philly, then from Philly you'd have to have a way to get to the DZ which is about 10 minutes away over the bridges.

I'm not sure if NJT has a bus which stops at the dropzone, but I suspect it might [anyone know?]

For Philadelphians, especially for the gigantic young student crowd (Philadelphia has more colleges than Boston does) who have given up their cars--CrossKeys will be easier to get to.

Maybe CrossKeys could help out and run a call-in shuttle to the train station? :P I am psyched though that at least one DZ in the country will be reachable by public transit. Not everyone here can pay for skydiving and also super-high auto insurance [PA and NJ are horrible states to own a car in]