simplyputsi

Switching oil brands in a car

So car people, again, give me your opinions on switching brands of oil.
I recently was shown a brand called royal purple and was like never heard of it.

Well I guess the stuff is pretty good. I use castrol full synthetic right now and since I got my car. I really have never had a problem.
So I'm like why switch now? And if I do does it really matter?
I'd basically switch now for convenience, price isn't much different.

comments?? suggestions??
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Brand isn't as important as viscocity and SAE ratings etc.

I'm assuming you don't have a late-model BMW, or Ferrari, so have fun...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

When switching oil in a passenger vehicle it is very important to follow the mileage that the oil is designed to protect with. You dont want to put high mileage oil in a newer car..and vice versa. As long as the "new oil" you are talking about is produced for the mileage of your motor you will be fine. Im sure you know but im going to say it anyway. If you do switch make sure its a complete change. Dont mix them if it is a completely different name and brand. Any mechanic that has half a brain would know this...but there are always the stupid ones...so jsut make sure if you do the changeover that it is done correctly. What kind of car is it again??? Im too lazy to search the threads to find your other posts....lol
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

oops i don't think I mentioned I would be sticking with synthetic so no change there, just brand.

Anyone heard of royal purple then???

I use it in my car... I like it... it seems to work pretty well...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

oops i don't think I mentioned I would be sticking with synthetic so no change there, just brand.

Anyone heard of royal purple then???

I use it in my car... I like it... it seems to work pretty well...

ahh see you are good for something. You use the full synthetic??
Skymama's #2 stalker -

It's a 2000 civic si, with just at 110,000 miles.

I shouldn't have to flush the engine should I. I should just be able to use the new oil next time I get an oil change, and yes the filter as well.

I wouldn't think you would need to flush the engine...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

oil is oil.

as long as you change it regularly it doesn't matter what you use as long as it is the correct weight.

with any oil including synthetic, if it doesn't get changed regularly, your asking for problems.

I once to the head off of a nissan with 250,000 miles on it and still saw the original crossthatch int the bores of the cylender. that is almost NO wear.

If you do switch make sure its a complete change. Dont mix them if it is a completely different name and brand. Any mechanic that has half a brain would know this...but there are always the stupid ones.

How do you make the conclusion that you shouldn't mix brands?

Perhaps you're the only one with more than half a brain/the only one that is not stupid?

It is going to happen anyway, anytime you change the oil.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I shouldn't have to flush the engine should I. I should just be able to use the new oil next time I get an oil change, and yes the filter as well.

You dont necessarily "have to" but different oils have different viscosities and break down at different temperatures and lifespans. Its just a piece of mind sort of thing. Its ultimately up to you but it wont make much of a difference.
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

Hottie has changed the oil in her 94 del Sol religiously every 3000 miles. Rarely at the same place, so she got a variety of oils depending on where she went. Sh bought the car in 98 with approx 50k miles on it.
It now has round 228k on it. We just had the head reworked (she didnt change the timing belt like she should have) there was vertually NO wear in the cylinders. Its not using oil now (not uncommon when putting a reworked head on a high milage car), and 500 miles after the last oil change it still looks semi-clean on a white rag.

Changing it regularly is more important than brand.
At least is has for my past cars, this includes the race engines I used to build.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I try to stick to one brand of oil, which has been Castrol GTX, but yes, keeping cars maintained with regular oil change services, can take the engine a long way. 190K miles on the 4 door sedan and 135K miles on the full size pick up truck and both are still humming smoothly. B|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

So car people, again, give me your opinions on switching brands of oil.
I recently was shown a brand called royal purple and was like never heard of it.

Royal Purple has been around for quite a while. They are big supporters of Sportsmen Class Drag Racing and Jr Dragsters. They have a lot of different Products and a good Reputation at the Drag Strips I used to Race at. I never used them so I cant comment personally but I wouldn’t hesitate to try them based on their reputation.

In general I would Use just about ANY Oil on the market with one exception... Quaker State. Every engine I ever tore down that had used Quaker State was Sludged to hell and back.

In general I would Use just about ANY Oil on the market with one exception... Quaker State. Every engine I ever tore down that had used Quaker State was Sludged to hell and back.

When I first got into racing round 92 or so, it was Quaker State and Pennzoil. AKA the Pennsylvania grade oils. I too had many sludgy engines from them.

I was a Castrol fanatic for a while, but now Im not as picky.

I had a buddy run Rotella 15W-40 in his 76 trans am through college (3 years) and he delivered pizza for $$ during that time. When we yanked the heads to put some ported ones on you could have eaten out of the lifter valley it was so clean.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865