sangiro

Related Sports Forums

Heya all,

There's a suggestion over here in the Feedback forum that I create some additional "Related Sports" forums on DZ.com. With that in mind, I don't intend to create a forum for every activity out there. I thought I'd poll you guys to get an idea of which activities should be candidates for their own sub-forums.

What else would you like to talk about on the side? (multiple answers allowed) :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I'd say ground launching and paragliding fit in the "related" sports in the same way that BASE does. Personally i don't think you need anything more than Bonfire for the rest of this stuff but if you did want to put anything ales? maybe the really accessible and common things like running and cycling.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I'd like to have "flying activities" over there, as in freeflight. Hanggliding, Paragliding, GL (but this one is quite talked about in canopy control), woopy and stuff
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I'd say ground launching and paragliding fit in the "related" sports in the same way that BASE does. Personally i don't think you need anything more than Bonfire for the rest of this stuff but if you did want to put anything ales? maybe the really accessible and common things like running and cycling.

I agree - not all these sports are necessarily "related" to skydiving. If there are activities that's common enough amongst you guys that you want to chat about them on the side here, I'll consider them. :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I'm a little shocked and dismayed that I don't see Curling on your list of considerations. Why not add a forum about rock-climbing too?

:P

How about a forum that just covered "Other Sky Sports" in the related group. There are certainly already plenty of web-sites with forums that talk about most of what your list covers. If you add one forum for one sport, someone else will start clamoring for a bunch of others...

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I'm a little shocked and dismayed that I don't see Curling on your list of considerations.

Right up there with Jukskei and Horseshoe tossing. :P

Why not add a forum about rock-climbing too?

I already did. :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I can't vote in the poll. There is no "none of the above" listed.

My other interests are cooking, cake decorating and gardening. :P
You can't please everyone.

What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

I think that Paragliding and Ground Launching have the most relevance as additions since they are most closely related to skydiving and BASE.

I picked up a great deal of knowledge about turbulence by reading tdog's article a while ago. General atmospheric and flight related theory affects all pilots - the information is beneficial to us all.
Arrive Safely

John

I agree - not all these sports are necessarily "related" to skydiving. If there are activities that's common enough amongst you guys that you want to chat about them on the side here, I'll consider them.

Scuba comes up in threads ALL the time.B|

Having said that, my vote would be for ground-launching and the like as it is more directly related.

It's a nice idea to have a scuba forum, but I certainly don't see any obligation to have a scuba or any other non-directly related sport forum. Skydivers are generally active people. You can find at least a few that participate in all the sports listed in the poll. What unites us most here is skydiving.:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

what about the "the club where people wee on each other"-section!?

Speaker's Corner

Scuba comes up in threads ALL the time.

Scuba board

and dozens of others. Seems like there's tons of scuba people on the internets.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Personally I'd like to find a forum as good as this for Paragliding, but I think if these forums draw more non-skydivers the noise to signal ratio will become so painful to the point of disinterest by those that have value to contribute.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Maybe we should add bowling and golf. That way, the people who stopped skydiving long ago but still post here, have someplace to go
(other then the Bonfire) and talk about the sports they actually DO participate in.;)

HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

It's your site. I would stick to the core business concept which is skydiving. bonfire and speakers corner cover other things pretty well as it is imho.

then again both speakers corner and bonfire have a lot more post than the skydiving forums together.

mebbe just call it 'urspace.com' and be done with it :P

How about a place for pilots? [Blush] I'd like to pick someone's brain now and then on pilot stuff...

There are a bunch of people that fly airplanes on these forums.

I actually think thats a great idea. While there are probably plenty of sites online for pilots to post, this would be a great opportunity for jump pilots to get together and discuss aspects of flying jumpers, not just general aviation.

How about a place for pilots? [Blush] I'd like to pick someone's brain now and then on pilot stuff...

I actually think thats a great idea. While there are probably plenty of sites online for pilots to post, this would be a great opportunity for jump pilots to get together and discuss aspects of flying jumpers, not just general aviation.

I agree with that too. With the number of pilots around here I think a "Pilots Lounge" type forum would be a good addition.

Sangiro, when you are talking about related sports forums, are you talking about a new forum on these boards (dropzone.com), or branching out to a different website (like rc.com) and trying to pull some base users from here? I personally participate in many of the sports listed, but I really wouldn't see the relevance of having a paddling forum, for example, on these boards. Now if you were to go start a new paddling website, I'd happily go over and have a look at it. I think that dz.com is rather unique in that it is basically the only major forum for its respective sport. Many of the sports you listed are lacking this kind of central gathering place on the internet, and I think some of them (the smaller ones) definatly have the market for it.

I agree with that too. With the number of pilots around here I think a "Pilots Lounge" type forum would be a good addition.

Sangiro, when you are talking about related sports forums, are you talking about a new forum on these boards (dropzone.com), or branching out to a different website (like rc.com) and trying to pull some base users from here? I personally participate in many of the sports listed, but I really wouldn't see the relevance of having a paddling forum, for example, on these boards. Now if you were to go start a new paddling website, I'd happily go over and have a look at it. I think that dz.com is rather unique in that it is basically the only major forum for its respective sport. Many of the sports you listed are lacking this kind of central gathering place on the internet, and I think some of them (the smaller ones) definatly have the market for it.

I agree with these guys(and girl:P) I'd love to see a flying form added. Jump pilots are a huge part of this sport and I find that there a bunch if not most of the skydivers where I jump that are interested in aviation. Like they said it's great to talk to other skydiver/pilots and jump pilots because they have a different prospective on flying then your regular pilot. I still get "what are you crazy? Did the wings fall off or something?" from most of my other pilot friends. It would also be a great place where pilots can keep skydivers informed on things that may really affect them that they might have not heard about yet like proposed "FAA user fees". It would also be a good place where skydivers can learn a little more about that magical metal elevator that takes them up to altitude:D or get important reminders about weight and balance, density altitude ect.

I also vote for adding ground launching but, I don't really want to see anything not related in any way to skydiving or canopy flight in this form like "running" or "under water basket weaving" ect:P

Just my humble opinion:)
Fly like a girl