airtwardo

Paris gets justice after all.

let's not forget that at her original sentencing, she showed up 15 minutes late and then blamed her publicist for not telling her that she couldn't drive. i don't think she's being made an example because she's a celebrity, she's being made an example because she's a dumbass.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I think she'd probably learn more of a lesson assigned to cal-trans and actually made to work instead of sitting on her butt in her cell. Cal-trans in lieu of jail is also pretty standard, but apparently the judge refused to consider anything other than locking her up. That's not a sign of an impartial judge.

On the other hand, locking her up in jail, pretty much keeps her from being seen in the media. She's an attention hog. Take that away. That sounds like punishment to me.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don't like Paris. Honestly, I think she's a snotty little bitch. But that doesn't mean she should be treated worse than others, just because she has money.

I think that this is part of the issue. True, plenty of non-violent offenders get released early. But I can see some policy reasons for allowing it.

If I were to be put in the can for 30 days, I'd be ruined. My family would be ruined. There's a good chance we'd lose the house and my business from it.

Let's take a look at Joe Schmoe scheduled for house arrest. Then look at Paris Hilton on house arrest. There are some pretty important differences that are associated with it.

TO have Paris Hilton be forced to remain in a multi-thousands square foot house versus a 1,200 square foot house? That's not punishment.

I don't believe she should be serving the full 45 days. Frankly, I reckon she'll have learned her lesson after a week in the can.

But let's think about punishment for her:
1) House arrest? No. That's not punishment with her house.
2) A hefty fine? $10k doesn't mean shit to her.
3) 2 or 3 weeks in jail? Yeah. That'll be punishment for her. It's something that will stick.

I think you bring out a very important point. For her to learn from her mistake, she has to have a punishment that will really affect her life and help realize that she made a poor choice and that when you make decisions, you have to live out the consequences of that choice.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

On the other hand, locking her up in jail, pretty much keeps her from being seen in the media. She's an attention hog. Take that away. That sounds like punishment to me.

the real problem for the jail, is how much this is costing them.
Tons of extra security to keep the media out. Also extra security to monitor the security because the tabloids are offering HUGE sums to "ANYONE" that can bring them pics of Paris in Jail. All Jail personnel have to have their cell phone cameras checked everyday before they leave to make sure they are not trying to smuggle out pics of Paris. Each pic could be worth hundreds of thousands of Dollars.:S

You can bet your ass the sherriff wants her out of his Jail soon as possible. This is a HUGE problem them to deal with and disrupts day to day operations and kills his budget.

What type of work do people sentenced to Cal-trans get?

They're the ones that have to go out in the sun all day and pick up trash and do brush clearance on the side of the road for eight hours a day.

How much would that cost California then, with extra security and having to beat off the paprazzi?

I don't think there really is a good way to deal with this situation for the state of CA...

I agree with you that her punishment should be like for like crime...

However, lawrocket's post makes so much sense in that if she had gotten off with a fine or house arrest...how much of a 'punishment' is that to this girl? :S

I guess all in all I'd side with a few weeks in prison, as anything else in nothing but a trifle to the girl.

-Isn't that why there is a scale of punishment, meaning from 3 days up to 45 days, from $500 up to $10,000...that type of thing, so that the judge can then set the punishment to what is appropriate?

I don't know, I'm just asking the question...otherwise, wealthy people would not be accountable to the same laws that poor people could not afford to bail themselves out of.

-Then who's to stop them from committing every crime that they can afford?
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I don't think the judge is throwing everything at her simply because of who she is BUT because she behaves as though "who she is" should make her exempt from any sort of punishment. There's a big difference. She's behaved all along as if she's above the law and she still is behaving that way. If she'd been even remotely contrite and didn't treat the whole thing like a joke right up until she was sentenced, don't you think the sentence would have been more lenient to begin with?

By making a mockery of the legal system, her probation and the charges pending against her, she brought this on herself. I don't see how the judge had much choice in the matter.

I agree that working for Caltrans would be near ideal for her.

But, hers is another situation. The typical situation in which a judge will provide a sentence like that is someone with a probation violation that shows the appropriate remorse and responsibility for his or her actions. Paris Hilton's situation was anything but that.

She had:
1) A DUI bust which resulted in suspension of her license;
2) Pulled over and cited for driving without a license;
3) A month later, pulled over again and cited for driving without a license;
4) Arrived to her trial 15 minutes late (kris, you'll see that there are some judges who let it slide and some who don't with this);
5) Said she didn't know her license was suspended, despite being told this in January;
6) Said that she thought it was taken care of and blamed her publicist for it;
7) Told the judge that she didn't know what the terms of her plea agreement were (where she agreed to a suspended license) because, "I just sign what people tell me to sign…. I'm a very busy person." - which says to the court, "I don't have time for this court bullshit.";
8) Told the court that she's "a very law abiding person" during the trial for her second probation violation.

I believe that the judge had no intention of sentencing her to jail the morning of her trial. I've seen it happen - people bullshit their way in an attempt to escape without punishment and get the judge pissed off.

Had she arrived on time to court, it would have set a good stage for taking responsibility and being responsible. (The judge could have called her case and issued a bench warrant when she wasn't there on time. When she reported, she could have been immediately remanded to custody. I've seen it done).

Had she told the judge that she did something very stupid she would have been better off. Had she said, "It's my fault, and nobody else's." Had she said, "Yes, I should have taken the time to thoroughly understand the conditions of my DUI plea instead of brushing it off as an annoyance."

Had she demonstrated remorse and responsibility instead of pleading ignorance and passing the buck, the judge would have gone more easily on her.

Here's something that a lot of public defenders say to every defendant, "Listen, motherfucker. Shut the fuck up and don't say a damned thing except 'yes, your Honor.'" People running their mouths off are viewed by judges as a waste of time.

I'm telling you, from a judge's point of view, Paris Hilton DARED him to have the balls to put her in the can. She BEGGED him by showing disrespect for the court, the process, and the law - and added juvenile and idiotic excuses and blame passing to it. "What sort of an idiot does she think I am?" was likely the thought running through the Judge's mind.

So he sentenced her to jail. I don't blame him for being harsh with her.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

let's not forget that at her original sentencing, she showed up 15 minutes late and then blamed her publicist for not telling her that she couldn't drive. i don't think she's being made an example because she's a celebrity, she's being made an example because she's a dumbass.

Exactly!

My wife is hotter than your wife.

This is what I found for the official record, and it doesn't even include all the times the paparazzi has filmed her driving since her license was suspended:

September 2006 ==================================
* DUI
* reckless driving
- 36 month probation
- fines of about $1,500
- ordered to enroll in alcohol education program
- suspended license

December 2006 ===================================
* made an illegal turn
* Driving on suspended license
- warning

January 2007 ====================================
* Driving car with no plates
- written warning

February 2007 ==================================
* 70mph in a 35 zone
* no lights after dark
* never enrolled in alcohol education program
* Violation of probation
- 45 days in jail
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You took the words right out of my mouth - so much so that I am going to repost it below. You explained WHY she got the book thrown at her and how she should have behaved instead. In addition to what you said - regardless of what landed her in jail, my biggest beef is that she was released defiant of what the judge ordered. That just totally cripples the judicial system. Now every hollywood-type or other rich person is going to think that they can buy their way out of jail. Bullshit! Throw her ass back in jail, either for her reduced sentence, or for the full time for trying to get away with something else to get her ass out of jail.

And...And... I'd like to see contempt charges filed against the LA Sherrifs office. That was another mistake. The judges orders should have the highest jurisdiction. Fine em or fire em!

I agree that working for Caltrans would be near ideal for her.

But, hers is another situation. The typical situation in which a judge will provide a sentence like that is someone with a probation violation that shows the appropriate remorse and responsibility for his or her actions. Paris Hilton's situation was anything but that.

She had:
1) A DUI bust which resulted in suspension of her license;
2) Pulled over and cited for driving without a license;
3) A month later, pulled over again and cited for driving without a license;
4) Arrived to her trial 15 minutes late (kris, you'll see that there are some judges who let it slide and some who don't with this);
5) Said she didn't know her license was suspended, despite being told this in January;
6) Said that she thought it was taken care of and blamed her publicist for it;
7) Told the judge that she didn't know what the terms of her plea agreement were (where she agreed to a suspended license) because, "I just sign what people tell me to sign…. I'm a very busy person." - which says to the court, "I don't have time for this court bullshit.";
8) Told the court that she's "a very law abiding person" during the trial for her second probation violation.

I believe that the judge had no intention of sentencing her to jail the morning of her trial. I've seen it happen - people bullshit their way in an attempt to escape without punishment and get the judge pissed off.

Had she arrived on time to court, it would have set a good stage for taking responsibility and being responsible. (The judge could have called her case and issued a bench warrant when she wasn't there on time. When she reported, she could have been immediately remanded to custody. I've seen it done).

Had she told the judge that she did something very stupid she would have been better off. Had she said, "It's my fault, and nobody else's." Had she said, "Yes, I should have taken the time to thoroughly understand the conditions of my DUI plea instead of brushing it off as an annoyance."

Had she demonstrated remorse and responsibility instead of pleading ignorance and passing the buck, the judge would have gone more easily on her.

Here's something that a lot of public defenders say to every defendant, "Listen, motherfucker. Shut the fuck up and don't say a damned thing except 'yes, your Honor.'" People running their mouths off are viewed by judges as a waste of time.

I'm telling you, from a judge's point of view, Paris Hilton DARED him to have the balls to put her in the can. She BEGGED him by showing disrespect for the court, the process, and the law - and added juvenile and idiotic excuses and blame passing to it. "What sort of an idiot does she think I am?" was likely the thought running through the Judge's mind.

So he sentenced her to jail. I don't blame him for being harsh with her.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

She should be treated like any other defendant in the same circumstances. "Making an example of someone" isn't justice.

Sounds like you just passed the bar. I guess you haven't been tainted by criminals or the justice system yet. :D

Seriously, I hope you keep that kind of attitude till you retire.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

[Napoleon Dynamite] Sweeeeet [/ND]

Off the record, I think, she was let go because of symptoms from Herpes. But hell, if she needs her meds for that, she can get them from the jail clinic. Serve the time, bitch. :|

So who gave her the gift that keeps on giving? Lindsay Lohan? Brittney Spears? Nichole?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

i'm really not a hilton-fan.. and i think she really deserves some kind of punishment. already three days should be more than plenty for her..

BUT, all that noise, helicopters, press, tears, withdrawals or not, but that kind of shit is somehow private, isnt it!? i mean, ok, she's even fucking in public..

but anyway, i cant help it, somehow i start feeling sorry for her..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda