Scoop

Analog altimeters - Display over 12k'

Does anyone know of an altimeter with a display that goes above 12k feet? For simplicities sake, when doing jumps above 12k I don't want to think about rotations and adding things up in my head.

The display of the Alti-Track looks nice (pic attached) and clear but I don't need the data logging facility. I've seen military altimeters but I don't need these huge heavy duty items. Is there a sports alti that fits what I'm after?

Thanks people

I think you'll find that most "altitude only" altimeters (vs. free fall computers that log other jump data) that have higher altitude faces are made for the military. These are larger, heavier, and much more expensive than a conventional skydiving altimeter - several hundred dollars each.

My recommendation is the Neptune. Small, light, and a digital display with a range up to 40K FT. Backlight for night jumps, and can be used as an audible as well. If you order one, order the armor for it to keep it protected. Alti-2 is working on new armor with a glass lens that protects the LCD screen. Ask them if that is available. There is a ruggedized version as well, for which I have not seen pricing yet. Retail for the standard Neptune is $249.00 and the armor is $7.95.
Arrive Safely

John

If you are above 12K, why do you need to know exactly what altitude you are at? As long as you figure out where you are before exiting for logging purposes.

That being said... get a Neptune. Get two and put one in your helmet. ;)

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I doubt very much that if I exited at 15k after 5 seconds I'd look at my altimeter and freak thinking i was at 2000 feet but nevertheless I just think it would be a good design, especially as most skydivers do go above 12k.

I see military altimeters with this and below 6 thousand they resume onto the normal scale so numbers are still in familiar place ie like a clock. Simple glance and know, without processing the information, how high you are.

I don't want digital or datalogging so that kinda rules out the Neptune. There must be something out there surely

Why the aversion to digital? Have you ever jumped with a digi readout? It is quite nice. Very easy to read, and very reliable.

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I think you should. You will find that the digital ones are very nice. I myself didn't want to go digital untill I took a Scott Miller canopy course, and he had a couple Neptunes to lend out. I tried one and put it an order for one the next day.

They are actually a lot easier to read than the analogs (my opinion), and have a backlight for night jumps (or dusk). Plus they are more accurate under canopy and the log function while not very usefull to everybody is handy and interesting.

And as well, the speed indication is nice to get a ballpark figure of how well you are flying relative to the normal fall rate of RW formations or freeflyers while you are learning and doing solos.

The exceptional customer service at Alti-2 is another good reason to go with any one of their products, digital or not.

I doubt very much that if I exited at 15k after 5 seconds I'd look at my altimeter and freak thinking i was at 2000 feet but nevertheless I just think it would be a good design, especially as most skydivers do go above 12k.

I think you worry too much. Ten's of thousands of skydivers have managed to figure out standard altimeters when exiting above 12,000. I'm sure you can too.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I think you'll find that most "altitude only" altimeters (vs. free fall computers that log other jump data) that have higher altitude faces are made for the military. These are larger, heavier, and much more expensive than a conventional skydiving altimeter - several hundred dollars each.

John is right, the only ones I have seen were for military use.

There is the newer MA-10 series and it goes for between $800 and $900.

MA-10

The MA2-30 series for around $500 to $600.

MA2-30

And then the latest greatest MA8-30/MA9-30 series that I don't have any idea what the price would be.

MA8-30/MA9-30

They all come with a 12,000 or 30,000 foot scale.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Are the digital ones accurate down low? Say from 1000-300 feet. I use my alitimeter a good deal to setup my landing pattern.

Guess why most swoopers are using digitals ;)

Because they are nutty? ;)

So does the accuracy come from the ease of reading, or from the mechanics of a digital unit?

Right now I am torn between getting a new altitrac, or another altimiter that has logging features. I guess I could also get a regular altimeter, and an audible too.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Does anyone know of an altimeter with a display that goes above 12k feet? For simplicities sake, when doing jumps above 12k I don't want to think about rotations and adding things up in my head.

The display of the Alti-Track looks nice (pic attached) and clear but I don't need the data logging facility. I've seen military altimeters but I don't need these huge heavy duty items. Is there a sports alti that fits what I'm after?

Thanks people

When it comes to altimeters, it comes down to what is in fashion. Milions of people have relied (and have not been let down by) analog altimeters. Both work, one doesn't need batteries and one does. Me, I'm old school I prefer analog as it gives you an instant picture of time left VS time elapsed. Both are accurate enough for landing, I know of no one who relies on just an altimeter to setup for landing. It's all done through the use of eye balls and gut instinct for the final commit to land, unless you are being radar guided in zero zero conditions.

Mick.

For me, it comes in to not what's in fashion, but what I'm used to. I don't like digital watches, and I don't like digital altimeters. So, I was tickled to death when my Altitrack came. I love it.
Maybe I'm old-fashioned too, because wear a plain ole' Timex on my wrist, and yet use a computer calibrated shotclock for my work time.

I think you worry too much. Ten's of thousands of skydivers have managed to figure out standard altimeters when exiting above 12,000. I'm sure you can too.

I guess theres 2 types of people in the world. Those who put up with whats available and therefore easier and those that try to make it better for them

I'm pretty big into conforming my world to what I want, rather than just putting up. Even in parachuting gear (which has contributed to my larger-than-normal number of reserve rides :ph34r:, I'm my best test dummy). It's never been something that's come remotely close to confusing me, and I've done more than a couple of jumps from 15,000 and above.

And I'm easily confused sometimes.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It doesnt confuse me just annoys me. Im mildly OCD and the overlapping rotation of the hand annoys me. [:/] Its just as annoying as a placemat not being square to the table edge, the spines of books on the bookshelf not being in a line or change on the table not being stacked in order of size :|

I'm serious

That makes a difference.

Consider a digital. People used to use aircraft altimeters (2 hands) on their belly-mounted reserves, but they're bulky, and probably more confusing than they should be for freefall speeds.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Im mildly (?) OCD and the overlapping rotation of the hand annoys me. [:/] Its just as annoying as a placemat not being square to the table edge, the spines of books on the bookshelf not being in a line or change on the table not being stacked in order of size :|

I'm serious

:P
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Hey Scoop,

Just a suggestion here but It may work. Alti-2 has a custom faceplate program:

http://alti-2.com/AnalogAltimeters/custom_dial_faces.htm

On some of my early designs, I added the extra altitude markers on the outer edge of the alti. Whether this is safe or not is debatable. If you have a hard time telling if you're at 14,000 or 2k, well, I don't think an Alti would be able to fix that. Nonetheless, it's another option. Plus you get to put some wicked designs on there and it's FREE, minus shipping. Plus Lara(ALti-2) is very friendly and willing to help you decide on a final design.

Later
Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."