steve1

Any horse people out there?

I could use some advice on starting a new 2 year old colt. As I write this, I am in a lot of pain. Two days ago I was thrown over a fence that he hit head on. Then I got back on him in a corral, and he went through the wire gate and fell on my leg hard, bruising some ribs and shoulder in the process. I guess I was lucky he didn't roll clear over me. I was hurting too bad by then to try getting back on. I'm 57 and getting too old for this kind of action.

Looking back I can see several things I did wrong. First off, I need a better corral that will hold a colt in. I plan on building a good round corral but don't have one now.

I started to drive him in a corral, but have never had much success with this. I may do some more of it before I get back on him again.

I usually snub a colt off on another gentle horse, but skipped this step this time. My daughter usually helps me with this, but she is in Wyoming now.

The first time he ran off, I just let him run rather than pull his head around with one rein. I know you are supposed to pull one rein to stop a horse, but isn't that also a good way to cause a horse to fall when he's in a dead run? If I had this happen again, I'd pull his head around prior to letting him get all that speed up.

I've done quite a bit of ground work with this colt. He is dead gentle to saddle, bridle, and get on, but he freaks out when he starts moving and realizes a predator is on his back. He doesn't buck, but runs like hell right into fences. All the more reason for a good round corral.

Is yanking on one rein, a good way to stop a running horse? I know all the horse training videos recommend this, but I really don't want to have another horse fall on me.

If I was smart, I'd hire someone else to start my colts. I've always kind of enjoyed doing this myself, but maybe this isn't smart when you are an old fart. To tell you the truth my knowlege base in this area may be limited. I've been around horses all my life, but still have plenty to learn. So, I'd appreciate your advice....Steve1

I have had past experience with a horse of this nature. No matter how hard I pulled on rein/reins there was no stopping this horse. I went on a two mile, full speed out and out RUN on the back of a horse the whole time trying different things with the reins to get the son of a bitch to stop. I knew where he was headed and just knew that I had to hold on for the ride. Sucker ran right back to the barn and into his stall. Sounds like more ground work is in order. Your right, your too old for that kind of physical nonsense. Horses, they are a magnificent beast that can leave you scratchin your head day after day. Love'em!! Good luck.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

1. Check out 'Round Pen Reasoning' by John Lyons...there's a lot of good stuff in there. Pat Parelli's 'Natural Horse-Man-Ship' is good as well.

2. Definitely an advantage to have someone there to pony off of.

3. Longe, longe, longe!

Good luck!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I think you are right about having someone else start your colt for you.

It will ensure that you stay safe, and will also ensure that you will have a well broke horse, with proper training. Which ultimately is what you are looking for, am I correct?

I have ridden horses all of my life. And there is always something to learn, as I am sure you know. A lot of trainers will work with you and your horse so that you still can be involved in the backing process if that is something that interests you.

Good Luck to you! :)

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky." -- Amelia Earhart

I had a guy teach me who called himself the real horse whisperer (lame) but it worked. He can do it in AN HOUR (witnessed this) but it still only takes me a day or so. Hard to just describe, but involves a lot of introducing one new thing to the colt at a time. Just picture: intro to the reigns (smells), the rub w/ reigns until comfy. Then attempt to put reigns in, many times but not forceful, until success, then blah blah blah, but then it comes to getting on. Just put weight in the stirrup first, then out, then weight again, for a good while. Then get on, and off, and on, and off until comfy (the colt). Sorry this is choppy, but I'm in a hurry, but hopefully you get my point. If not, email me @ this address ([email protected]) and i'll help out some more the best I can. There's no use in you getting hurt over a horse...maybe some whacky pack job or something, but no horse!!:ph34r:

...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Are there ANY trainers out there that *don't* 'sack out' a horse?? Getting them used to the tack and other things is just common sense...If that's all that guy did, you got ripped off.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Shit, this was years ago. I didn't pay for it, just hangin round his place one day is all. But hey, it's how I got mine done. Proud owner of a PROUD App...lol.
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

If anyone wants to purchase a fine looking Golden Palomino @17 hands and ten years old let me know.

He is a good boy and very happy as well.

I just don't want some asshole getting him.

Too bad we don't know if he can ride english...

Right now he is too advanced for our daughter. (12 yrs old)

Currently in Graves County, Kentucky, and he trailers really well.

1. Check out 'Round Pen Reasoning' by John Lyons...there's a lot of good stuff in there. Pat Parelli's 'Natural Horse-Man-Ship' is good as well.

2. Definitely an advantage to have someone there to pony off of.

3. Longe, longe, longe!

Good luck!!

Thats great advice Mike!!!

I have been to Parelli clinics as well as Clinton Anderson and Chris Cox. I have been around horses since before I could walk, I went to this clinics, wondering really what can I learn??? All three proved me dead wrong. I learned a ton and could go see all three again and again and learn more.

It has to start with respect. Parelli covers this alot and I have used it alot with my own very broke horses and seen a big difference. Gain respect on the ground. Horses (usually) run like that out of fear and I think you've realized this. All three of the trainers I mentioned have great resources avail on their websites, and if you have RFD-TV ( satellite channel) Clinton Anderson and Chris Cox have regular shows on there. If you were any where near Florida, I would give you my sis's contact info. She is one the best fundamental/ground work trainers around here. She is also Parelli certified. She currently has a 6 yro mare, that when she bought could barely be haltered and led, had to be tranqualized to have her feet done etc etc. Several other trainers told the owners no way, that horse is crazy. My sis has only had her 6 months or so, has her completely broke and will work off voice commands, and can be ridden saddled without a bridle and will work thru all commands. Its really something to see. Anyway, sorry to be so long winded, horses are my true first passion in life....;)

Thanks for all the great advice all. This is really a dandy colt I'm working with. I just skipped too many steps, and really need a good round corral that he can't jump through. I really enjoy watching all the trainers you mentioned on TV. I've also heard Ray Lyons has some really good stuff to read. Thanks again!...Steve1

I believe, you pointed-out your 'problem' when you said you 'skipped too many steps'. Ground work! Lots of it. Especially, with a young horse. Work on getting the 'spooks' out of him. You've had some names of good horse trainers mentioned here. Monty Roberts and Craig Cameron are two who you might also check-out. The main thing is, when you go to work with your horse, don't set a time limit on your sessions with him. Spend as much time as you can with him in a 'non work' manner. Get to know each other. Build trust. When you do work him, have a set 'plan' and stick to it. Don't get in a hurry! Just remember, adreniline up... learning down. Good luck

Chuck

I like horseys!!! :)
-but I haven't done anything with 'em since I was 19, sorry. :$

:oNot me. I stick to my own species.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have 2 a 12 year old and a 2 year old, I am about to really start working with the 2yo undersaddle and she is a little fiesty and I longe her about 15-20 min and then use 2 bags of play sand strapped to the saddle and more bags can be added to get her used to the weight and longe her for another15-20 min and then try to get on her back and most of the time she is so worn out that she will not run or buck too much.
I hope that this helps.
Kate

I wanted to mention also, I know, everybody says you can ride a horse at 2-yrs. old. I've had several Veterinarians tell me that it's not a good idea. Their legs aren't 'fully' developed at that age. At about 30-months, a couple slow walks around the round pen on their back about once a week. A fast run at 2-years can damage their legs. At this time in your horse's life should be more ground work. As suggested, tying a sack of grain to the saddle won't hurt him. When long lining a young horse, I prefer using 2-long lines. This way, as he's going around the round pen, I can change his direction by pulling on one of lines. Just a suggestion.

Chuck

My family owns 27 horses from age 20yrs to 2months.Trust me, round pens are your friend!

I know this has already been mentioned,but check out Monty Roberts' books and training DVDs.Also look into Clinton Anderson's "Downunder Horsemanship" books/TV series/DVDs.Both are excellent sources of info for all your training tips.We went to one of Clinton Anderson's Horsmanship Clinics and one of Monty Roberts' training seminars last yr and it was amazing!

Feel free to PM me if you still need some help.:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

I Love'em,

Butt, I am as careful about them as any jump. I rasied and started colts for years, but now leave the first few rides to a trainer.

If he's running off and jumping shit he's scared to death. Look around and you'll see you probably did it to him. A good round pen with room for him to move is a great tool, but like any tool can be used poorly. The trainers mentioned are a must read, but putting that into practice is a skill that not everyone can learn from a book. Most skills that can get your hurt or killed we seek professional help with learning.

There's lots you can do that will help, and even more that will screw things up. If you really want a horse you can trust and be safe with, you will need more training than it. There are no short cuts.

Any horse will know when a good rider is on top, and will know if its a green rider that doesn't know what they're doing. That makes a green horse nervous and unpredictable. There's a saying with training hosres I found to be true; Green+Green=black and blue. Any time you get on a green horse you are training it, and how it responds is a direct reflection of the job your doing,, I find it damn humbling at times!

If you can, take him to a clinic where your both students, but be patient, he isn't ready yet for what your askin...

Good luck & Happy Trails
:P

PS.. We don't start ours under saddle untill they're 3y/o also, good point!

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

I agree 100% w/Billy. If youre not an experienced trainer then its going to be tough on you and the horse.The Books and DVDs and clinics can only help you so much before you have to rely on instinct and trust in yourself,your ability and knowledge and the horse.

PS.. We don't start ours under saddle untill they're 3y/o also, good point!

Ditto here.We start halter training very young to get them used to tack a little at a time and get used to having something on them so that when we do go to break them they're not spooked by having something on their head/face like a bridle.But we usually dont start trying to saddle break them until they're atleast 3yrs or with some 4yr.Its true that some horses,especially smaller breeds like Arabians dont have their bone structure fully formed until after they're 2yrs which is another reason we wait a bit longer to try to train them for riding.

But a round pen is still a favorite for us b/c even when they're younger you can work with them gradually and get them used to commands,some tack and being handled more.Theres not a horse on our place that my dad cant walk up to and handle from nose to hoof and put a halter on and lead (including the young ones that arent even a yr old and we have 27horses,so thats saying something),which makes it easier in the long run when you're handling them alot in training.

youve gotten some great advice in this thread.good luck and I hope it works out for both of you.:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."