wildfan75

Any Vets Out There? 2nd Opinion?

I found a lump on my dog last week. Of course my vet is telling me that I need to take her in ASAP to have it checked out. Any vets out there that can give me an unofficial 2nd opinion? PM me please and I can give you more details on her health, history and the lump.

I found a lump on my dog last week. Of course my vet is telling me that I need to take her in ASAP to have it checked out. Any vets out there that can give me an unofficial 2nd opinion? PM me please.

I'm not a vet. I'm a veterinarian assistant. I can tell you what we tell owners that call with a question like that.

"Come in and get it checked out. Without an exam and any additional tests that may be necessary to determine exactly what it is, we can not tell you anything over the phone (PM, post, etc.) as it could be a multitude of things."

My suggestion - take your dog in and find out what it is instead of trying to guess what it might be. It could be nothing or it could be something major or anything in between.

And as for your "Of course..," your vet is trying to do his/her job and take care of your pet to the best of their ability. Would you call your (human) doc and say "I found a lump...what is it?" and expect an answer? Or would you expect your doc to tell you to get in to them and get it checked out?
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Of course I'm going to bring her in but I was looking for 1) a second opinion and 2) some idea of what to expect and prepare myself for. But funny that we don't chastise humans that seek a second opinion, but if its a pet...GOD FORBID!

Time out, what you asked is the equivalent of asking someone what is wrong with your car, and saying it just doesnt work. It could be one of a dozen things. So dont get pissy when you get stupid or smart ass responses to your question.

Without seeing no one knows.

But since you want a second opinion, it is cancer and your dog might die!

What do you want to hear? we cant answer that kind of question.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Of course I'm going to bring her in but I was looking for 1) a second opinion and 2) some idea of what to expect and prepare myself for. But funny that we don't chastise humans that seek a second opinion, but if its a pet...GOD FORBID!

1) You did not state you're bringing her in. You found the lump last week and you're now asking people on the internet for what it is so there's no "Of course" about it.

2) Exactly what second opinion do you expect? Without an exam, there is no first opinion much less a second.

3) In order to tell you what to expect, we'd have to know exactly what is wrong with your pet.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

It's hard to give a second opinion when you haven't had a first opinion yet. The only alternate opinion is "don't bring her in." I'm with your vet. Let 'em look at it. THEN get a second opinion if you think you need one.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

You weren't asking for a second opinion. You were asking for a professional to provide a first opinion without even looking at your dog. Not getting that, you asked for the same thing again here in this forum.
__

My mighty steed

Maybe this link will help you wildfan. Good luck with Lucy.

The Pet Place

This site says:

"Any new lump or bump should be evaluated right away"

:)

phew!! good thing we found some internet site to confirm what the vet said.:|

:o

You mean the internet may be right?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

No, I mean the vet may be right.

Ohhhhhh . . . Why would you think a trained professional might be right? Aren't they the ones that are usually wrong?:o

I mean - yeah - so 5 years of college and all that - so what!

:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I honestly don't get why everyone is jumping on the OP. People ask all kinds of questions on dz.com from healthcare to marriage advice to lawyer advice. I've seen plenty of Any lawyers ? or Any doctors? threads and no one says a word. Of course, we all know we should just go to our own lawyer or our own doctor but sometimes people want more reassurance.

And honestly, what if the OP couldn't take the dog in right away because they have to wait till payday or something. People need to lighten up a little bit but that's just me.:|

I honestly don't get why everyone is jumping on the OP.:|

Its not the fact that they asked a question.
The implication was that there was something wrong with the vet telling them to bring it in and have it checked out like all the vet was trying to do was gouge their money out of their pockets.

The vet was 100% correct in telling them to bring the dog in.
__

My mighty steed

Oh don't worry, our posts will disappear soon enough.

:D:D

Want to bet? I just did a quick search and found something I posted on the Internet in 1992. Putting things on the Internet is easy, taking things off the Internet is like trying to take pee out of a swimming pool.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yep. And as I said before, if that wasn't the original poster's intent in her first post, it was certainly interpreted that way by a lot of people. Not all of those posts got to stick around and be seen tho.

However, it would appear that it's still being interpreted "incorrectly" by a new batch of readers.

If someone said, "I found a lump on my breast/scrotum/whatever and of course my doc says I should come in and have it checked out. Any 2nd opinions out there?", people would be just as blunt with their responses as they are being here.

The implication was that there was something wrong with the vet telling them to bring it in and have it checked out like all the vet was trying to do was gouge their money out of their pockets

That's just your assumption honestly. It's easy for misunderstandings or miscommunications to happen online.

Enough...

Hopefully this will get the non-sense to stop.

Lucy has a vet appointment in 2 and a half hours. She is on a wellness program at my vet. I pay $14 a month for the program. The program includes 2 comprehensive exams a year, all her necessary shots and vaccines, free office visits and a 5% discount on all medication. I can take her to the vet every single day of the year and the office visits won't cost me a dime more than the $14/month I'm already paying (obviously at some point they might want to cancel my program).

Sorry if I wasn't more clear in my original post, but really, instead of jumping on someone's back, asking a few more questions instead of making accusations helps. I didn't post details because I wanted to converse via PM with vets instead of getting people who have no training in the veterinarian field trying to tell me what it is or what I should do.

The implication was that there was something wrong with the vet telling them to bring it in and have it checked out like all the vet was trying to do was gouge their money out of their pockets

It's easy for misunderstandings or miscommunications to happen online.

It is very easy indeed.

Thats why it's important to be very clear exactly what you mean, otherwise you invite such misunderstandings.
__

My mighty steed