The_Don

Do you/would you??

Yeah, I could do this, but if I want to keep what is mine, I wouldn't dare! :S Where I grew up, we did it all the time. Heck we never even locked our doors. But times sure have changed![:/]

"A woman is like a tea bag; you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water" ~ Eleanor Roosevelt ~

But times sure have changed!

It sure has...and damn sure not for the better in that regard!!

I don't know. There's always more good people out there than bad. A couple of weeks ago my daughter and I left for about 2 hours; when we returned, our garage door was open. It had gone all the way down when I'd closed it but went right back up again as we drove away. Not a thing was disturbed in the garage or the apartment.

I watch the door very carefully now though.:)

I don't know. There's always more good people out there than bad.

Agreed... but where the 'good people' used to look out for each other, more and more they only seem to look out for themselves...unfortunately.

As stated in the OP, I can remember when people leaving doors unlocked, keys in cars, etc, was the "rule" and not the exception...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I wouldn't, but I'm a bit obsessive about security since there was a murder directly upstairs at my old apartment. I've even got alarm sensors on my second-floor windows. I know it's a bit paranoid, but it makes me feel better. Would I leave my keys in my car? hell no!

When I was married and lived in a smaller city in Georgia, we left the house unlocked a lot of the time. Even at night. :)

But now that I'm basically living alone in Texas, I don't feel very secure. I recently had my landlord put a two-sided key locking deadbolt on my front door. My logic was that if they broke into a window and stole something, they'd have to go back out the same window they crawled into to steal something! :ph34r:

Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

When I was married and lived in a smaller city in Georgia, we left the house unlocked a lot of the time. Even at night. :)

But now that I'm basically living alone in Texas, I don't feel very secure. I recently had my landlord put a two-sided key locking deadbolt on my front door. My logic was that if they broke into a window and stole something, they'd have to go back out the same window they crawled into to steal something! :ph34r:

In some states those locks are illeagle. They have earned the nickname Firefighter killer
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

In some states those locks are illeagle. They have earned the nickname Firefighter killer

Valid point. But since there was already one on the back door when I moved in, I didn't think there would be a problem with putting one on the front door too. :$
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

My ex husband was in port in Japan at one time. He called me from a payphone and left his sunglasses there. When he returned hours later looking for them they were still there. My ex husband was on base at the gym and put his sunglasses on top of the lockers while he worked out. He returned one hour later and they were gone.:|

Yeah, I could do this, but if I want to keep what is mine, I wouldn't dare! :S Where I grew up, we did it all the time. Heck we never even locked our doors. But times sure have changed![:/]

same here :(
```````````````````````````````````
" Cant keep a good woman down "
Angels have wings, but devils can fly !

Vskydiver dropped her cell phone at a Rancid show in Seattle on a Wednesday. When we were back at the Showbox the next Saturday for the Dropkick Murphys, her phone was waiting for her at the lost and found. How cool is that? Punks rule. B|

Yeah but we still lock our doors when we leave and set the burglar alarms. I think getting my phone back was a happy surprise but most likely not and everyday occurrence.

My ex husband was in port in Japan at one time. He called me from a payphone and left his sunglasses there. When he returned hours later looking for them they were still there. My ex husband was on base at the gym and put his sunglasses on top of the lockers while he worked out. He returned one hour later and they were gone.:|

Maybe they just could not reach up in the Pay phone :P

BP

Nina,

Please consider changing out those locks. It is incredibly dangerous to live in a place where you need a key to leave in an emergency. Double cylinder locks kill in a fire.

http://www.locksmithcharley.com/firesafety.html

Evan

right....since you not only lock people OUT ,, you also lock people IN.....
true enough, fires and other immediate emergencies don't occur very often. but when they do.. time is of the essence..
A better ( and less costly ) approach than changing the locks, is to duplicate the keys.
Take the appropriate key for each deadbolt, and with a teacup hook, or small nail, hang it on the upper part of your door casing, hinge side, within reach of the youngest or shortest person, who lives there....
An intruder, would be hard pressed to find it, if they break the glass from outside, But you or anyone could quickly grab it, and unlock the the cylinder to make a fast get-away... without the need of chasing down your keyring first.....Plus you can use and then return that key, each night when you lock up, instead of having to dig through your purse or pocket every night, prior to turning in....
stay smart, but stay safe.
as to leaving our home or cars unlocked, I must say, that if we are away, the house is locked,
i never leave keys in the ignitions anymore, but I don't necessarily lock all our cars and vans, each night..... so far so good.....luckily our immediate neighborhood is rather safe...

jmy

I leave my keys in my car along with the windows and moonroof open. Ofcourse the car is in the garage.

In my area, you could leave your house unlocked; but the way my house is laid out, there are too many exterior doors and we would never hear if someone came in one. Instead there is a security system.

Chris