RandomLemming

Stupid question about Alti's in aircraft holds

Hi all,

I have a stupid question - does anyone know what altitude commercial airlines pressurise their holds to?

The reason I'm asking is that I need to carry both my altimaster and my protrack in my luggage next week, and I know that these are only supposed to be used up to 18,000ft.

Thanks in advance...

Cabin pressurizes at ~6000 ft. Your altimeter and protrack would not be damaged by the altitude, though. I've taken mine to 30k.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

I'm flying out of the UK, and I'm not convinced they're going to let me carry them onboard, so I was just planning on packing them in the hold.

I'd rather risk them getting lost than risk the full 'probe' search because I can't demostrate that my alti is a skydiving accessory and not a giant one-handed timer for a bomb :(

I flew out on the 3rd from Stansted to Girona and back in early hours of this morning. No restrictions on baggage or carry on (despite terrorist threat) and I took my altimeter, helmet and dytter on board in my helmet bag without a problem.

Ah, cool - I just didn't know if the hold was pressurised to the same as the cabin :$

The flat shape of the floor would not be very good at withstanding the huge forces resulting from a few pounds per square inch over a large area. The outer skin and fwd/aft pressure bulkheads are cylindrical/spherical in shape allowing the structure to be light.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Just got back from Empuriabrava. 7 day wind hold for the 'Tramontana' a northerly wind from the mountains but 3 days of awesome jumping. Of course also meant 10 nights of drinking. Haha, was great place and great people ;)

I checked in the rig due to weight but had no problems as I had it in a rig bag which was then secured inside a semi-rigid suitcase.

If you are flying soon expect delays at passport control though. Queues were monstrous as they were really scrutinizing each passport. Strange as in Spain they didnt even check my passport :S

I'm flying out of the UK, and I'm not convinced they're going to let me carry them onboard, so I was just planning on packing them in the hold.

I'd rather risk them getting lost than risk the full 'probe' search because I can't demostrate that my alti is a skydiving accessory and not a giant one-handed timer for a bomb :(

Yeah... good luck with that... pretty soon we're all going to have to check all of our luggage, no carry-ons, or mail our stuff seperately via surface freight to our destination ahead of time... and when arriving at the airport, strip down naked before going though security and then be issued one of those paper hospital gowns and slippers to wear while on the airplane... :P

Anyway... what is it... the old Altimaster III's (wrist mounts)... or what ever it is Alti calls them now... go to like 18K... I think ??? ... before they stop and the big Altimaster II's (chest mounts) went to 20 something before they stop?? I can't remember. Haven't had one in a test chamber in awhile.

Where's Smitty from Alti when you need him... ;)

Yeah... good luck with that... pretty soon we're all going to have to check all of our luggage, no carry-ons, or mail our stuff separately via surface freight to our destination ahead of time... and when arriving at the airport, strip down naked before going though security and then be issued one of those paper hospital gowns and slippers to wear while on the airplane... :P

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Follow the example set by nudists.
Nudists had it right a century ago.
Arrive at the airport wearing nothing but a smile. Carry your few possessions in a clear plastic bag.
Smile politely at the nice security guard.

Yeah... good luck with that... pretty soon we're all going to have to check all of our luggage, no carry-ons, or mail our stuff seperately via surface freight to our destination ahead of time... and when arriving at the airport, strip down naked before going though security and then be issued one of those paper hospital gowns and slippers to wear while on the airplane... :P

Do i have to buy a first class ticket to get the optional blindfold to go with that outfit?

Anyway... what is it... the old Altimaster III's (wrist mounts)... or what ever it is Alti calls them now... go to like 18K... I think ??? ... before they stop and the big Altimaster II's (chest mounts) went to 20 something before they stop?? I can't remember. Haven't had one in a test chamber in awhile.

Where's Smitty from Alti when you need him... ;)

Mine is an altimaster II galaxy. And I have no idea what happens when you do go above 18k with it, but the instructions say not to.

From the altimaster FAQ:

Operating range for the Altimaster II, Altimaster III, and Altimaster III Galaxy is up to 18,000’ MSL. The Altimaster Galaxy Stratosphere goes up to 30,000’ MSL.

Above operating range, the altitude will be incorrect, but this will not damage the alti. Once in the operating range again, your Altimaster will display the correct altitude.

It is safe to take your Altimaster on board a commercial flight, or check it in pressurized or non-pressurized baggage compartments. Make sure the altimeter is packaged safely, so it is not damaged in handling.

Dave

Hey mate, might need to eat my words. Seems new restrictions were imposed today. Update from Ryanair website but applies across the board for all UK flights....

Flight Disruptions-BAA Stansted-15/16 August
Updated Tuesday 15th August 18:00hrs
BAA's failure to adequately staff the Stansted Airport security points, combined with the nonsensical new hand baggage restrictions has caused extensive passenger delays at airport security points. Consequently, 8 flights had to be cancelled on the 15th August and this issue looks set to continue, causing flight disruptions and possible cancellations. (**see below for a list cancelled flights)

Ryanair plan to operate a full flight schedule on Wednesday 16th August, and calls on the UK government to lead the process of returning normality to London's airports by addressing the root causes of the problems:

1. If the government wants to double the number of security checks, why won't they send in extra army or police personnel to help carry out these checks?
2. Why is the government allowing large briefcases to be carried on board as 'safe', but ruling that the normal size carry on case is still unsafe? This rule is
nonsensical.
3. If liquids, cosmetics and passenger luggage is really a threat to passenger safety, why is the Government still allowing these items to be carried on the London Underground and on Eurotunnnel?

Ryanair continues to urge the UK Government to defeat these extremists by returning UK air travel to normal, as they successfully did on the London Underground within 2 days of last year's 7/7 attacks.

Passenger Information
We strongly recommend to passengers that in order to reduce flight delays that ONE ITEM OF CHECKED LUGGAGE per person is carried. Also, passengers should check in no later than 2 hours prior to their scheduled flight departure, to allow sufficient time to check in and to clear security (Stansted check in desks open 3 hours prior to scheduled flight departure). Please note, that flights cannot wait for passengers delayed at security points.

Passengers who are booked one of the below cancelled flights may rebook free of charge, using the web link below. Customers can rebook to travel on flights, subject to availability, up to the 18 October 2006. This link will be available to change flights up to midnight on the 16th August 2006 .

https://www.bookryanair.com/skylights/cgi-bin/skylights.cgi?module=C3&language=EN&mode=CANX

Alternatively, for customers booked on a flight that has been cancelled (see list of cancelled flights below) who do not wish to rebook for alternative dates. Please click on the link below and enter the required details. Refunds applications will then be reviewed and processed back to the original form of payment used to pay for the booking in 7 working days.

http://frd.ie/refweb.asp

Ryanair sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused by these flight cancellations, which are completely outside of our control and we thank you for your patience..

*Revised Hand Baggage Restrictions- Effective from 14th August 2006

As a result of the security issues in the UK on the 10th August, the following countries have now imposed restrictions on the carriage of hand baggage - UK, Poland, France and Italy (*see below details of the new restrictions imposed on the carriage of hand baggage per country and reduced permitted bag dimensions from the UK)

Hand Baggage Restrictions - Flights Departing from the UK

Each passenger is permitted to carry ONE item of cabin baggage through the airport security point. The dimensions of this bag must not exceed a maximum length of 45cm, width of 35cm and depth of 16cm (including wheels, handles, side pockets, etc.) All items carried by passengers will be x-ray screened. N.B. Please note these dimensions are smaller than our published hand baggage dimensions.

Passengers whose hand baggage is greater than the above dimensions will not be permitted to enter the security restricted area and will not be permitted to return to the check-in area. In order to ensure that you will be accepted for entry to the security restricted area, please ensure that you full comply with the following:

No liquids of any type are permitted through the airport security search point other than the following items:

No liquids of any type are permitted through the airport security point other than the following items:

Prescribed medicines essential for the duration of the flight, as long as they are verified as authentic.

Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle or jar must be tasted by an accompanying passenger).

No gels, pastes, lotions, etc are permitted (e.g. toothpaste, hair gel, drinks, deodorant, shaving foam, aerosols, etc) can be carried in hand luggage. Passengers are encouraged not to include items capable of containing liquids (e.g. bottles, cans, etc) in their cabin baggage.

All laptops and large electrical items (e.g. large hairdryer) must be removed from the bag and placed in a tray so that such items neither obscure nor are obscured by the bag.

Pushchairs and walking aids are permitted but must by x-ray screened. Wheelchair must by thoroughly searched.

Hand Baggage Restrictions - Flights Departing from Poland to the UK:

Passengers travelling from Poland to the UK may only take through the airport security search point, the following items:-

Travel documents essential for the journey (eg passports, tickets and visas) Pocket sized wallets and pocket sized purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards and identity cards). Handbags are not permitted. Prescribed medicines essential for the duration of the flight, except in liquid form unless verified as authentic. Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases. Contact lenses, without bottles of solution For those traveling with an infant: baby food, milk and sanitary items essential for the flight. Keys (but no electrical key fobs).
Every other item must be carried in customer's hold luggage.

For clarity, passengers are advised that no electrical or battery powered items including laptops, mobile phones, ipods, remote controls etc can be carried in the cabin and must be checked in as hold baggage.

Hand Baggage Restrictions-Flights Departing France and Italy to the UK

No liquids of any type are permitted through the airport security search point other than the following items:

Prescribed medicines essential for the duration of the flight: as long as they are verified as authentic. Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle or jar must be tasted by an accompanying passenger). No gels, pastes, lotions, etc are permitted (e.g. toothpaste, hair gel, drinks, deodorant, shaving foam, aerosols, etc) can be carried in hand luggage. Passengers are encouraged not to include items capable of containing liquids (e.g. bottles, cans, etc) in their cabin baggage.
Passengers travelling from France and Italy to the UK will be subject to screening checks upon entry to the restricted area and again at the boarding gate.

edicines (except in liquid form unless verified as authentic) essential for the duration of the flight.

Ryanair are fully complying with this Government instruction but do expect delays and disruptions to occur. We recommend that all passengers allow extra time to get to the airport and to clear security.

Ryanair sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

15/08/2006
Cancelled Flights Tuesday 15th August 2006
FR205 London Stansted Dublin
FR407 London Stansted Glasgow Prestwick
FR586 London Stansted Pisa
FR052 London Stansted Stockholm Skavsta
FR4184 London Stansted Milan Bergamo
FR3004 London Stansted Rome Ciampino
FR103 London Stansted Shannon
FR752 London Stansted Frankfurt Hahn

>I just didn't know if the hold was pressurised to the same as the cabin.

Yes, they do. Which is why pets are OK in the hold.

Side note - in some cases (cargo door blowouts) aircraft have experienced cases where the 'upper' (cabin) area remained pressurized momentarily while the hold depressurized. The result was a collapse of the floor and destruction of flight control linkages.

To prevent this in modern aircraft, many jets have blowout panels in the floor that will fail first, allowing the cabin to depressurize before the floor collapses.

Yeah... good luck with that... pretty soon we're all going to have to check all of our luggage, no carry-ons, or mail our stuff separately via surface freight to our destination ahead of time... and when arriving at the airport, strip down naked before going though security and then be issued one of those paper hospital gowns and slippers to wear while on the airplane... :P

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just be glad no one has tried to board an aircraft with a hand grenade wedged up his rear end. When that eventually does happen, we will all need to undergo full body cavity searches. Ladies and gentlemen, I submit that the bad guys have won. One suspected incident is all it takes to throw air travel into chaos. They can do this at will and will continue to do so periodically. We have lost because we fail to take measures to really stop this from occurring. All we take is half measures that have no real effect on the problem at hand because we don't wish to be seen as offending anyone - anyone being defined as the very people we SHOULD be offending by much stricter measures, these being taken in the political arena, not in security checkpoints at the airports. All the politicians wish is to be seen as "doing something". As Benjamin Franklin said, "Those who would surrender freedom for security, deserve neither".