skyejumper

What's your favorite dog breed?

I'm finally moving to a place with a backyard and we're trying to decide what kind of dog to get. What's your favorite breed, and why? I'd love to see photos, too! OH, we'd need a type that is kid-friendly, 'cause I wouldn't want my baby to get chomped on. :S

I used to have golden retrievers and wire fox terriers and loved them dearly, but...

I've actually gotten past the dog thing and have rabbits...we let them loose in the yard (they stay close to the house) so they can zip around, jump & flip...they're great in the house, they use a litter pan better than a cat. And, just like a dog, you have to make sure they have things to chew/gnaw on.

Too bad we're on dial up, otherwise I'd show off how cute they are. The little man (he's a Netherland Dwarf) absolutely loves the big girl (she was the first). It's scary, I think if anything happened to her, the little man would be lost, he loves her that much.

Just my two cents. BTW, they travel on vacation great...and, most places don't bother you about having a pet in the room.

Kaye

I'm a fan of adopting dogs. Not every one agrees though. It depends really on what you are looking for in a dog. Size, hair length, things like that. Here's a pic of my mutt. His name is Kimahri and he rocks! (He's a shephard husky mix. Not a good idea if you don't want to deal with shedding)
I'm the twist that turns your key....

i have a doberman-rottweiler-mix which i dearly love..

she's quite a friendly dog, takes long to get warm with new people, but if so, she's a darling.. i take her everywhere i go, never really had a problem, maybe some people that dont like dogs too much, but even those love her after some time..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

she's quite a friendly dog, takes long to get warm with new people, but if so, she's a darling.. i take her everywhere i go, never really had a problem, maybe some people that dont like dogs too much, but even those love her after some time..

B-E-A-utiful!
I'm the twist that turns your key....

These are all great dogs.

So far no one has shown any rat or cat sized versions. That's a plus about this crowd.

Though I'm partial to huskies and labs and chessies and collies and German Shepards (ie., REAL dogs, like on a farm), boxers are a very sweet breed.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

we have a golden retriever that is great with our kids. our youngest child, matt, is 18 months old and our dog, emma has been extremely tolerant of him. last thanksgiving we adopted a dog from the shelter, but a couple weeks ago we had to take him back. he walked infront of the swing that matt was swinging on. when matt swung into him, he turned around and clamped onto matt's leg, burying one of his fangs into his calf. we had to take him back to the shelter. our next dog will be another golden.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I had pure breds for a long time, but have gone back to mutts. :)The shelters are full of dogs of all shapes and sizes and ages just waiting to be a part of a family. My latest, Maggie (see avatar), wasn't chosen by me..I was picked by her.
But, if you are set on a pure bred, check out Springer Spaniels, both English (most common) and Welsh (somewhat rare here in the states, pic of my Jimmy attached). For a family pet they are as perfect of a breed as any.

WOW!
she's beautiful!!!!

I love doberman!
my grandpa used to have lots of them on his farm and I got one that was just a sweetheart since he was a puppy! I've never had a friend like him. I also had a Canadian Sheppard that was adorable, but too jealous if someone would be too close to me... he wouldn't bite though...just get jealous!

I'm a big fan of big dogs...the ones we can play and be ruff a bit :P

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

The breed isn't as important to us, the temperament is.... that said our favourite dog (Amber) was a Red Dobbie and the sweatest beastie you're ever likely to have met. Notice how everyone says that their dog is a soft as a soft thing.... noone ever admits to keeping a thug:)

But.. "The Girls" that we have now are Springer Collie crosses (mom and daughter) and we wouldn't be without them.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

B-E-A-utiful!

thanks a lot, its what EVERYone says.. :D
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I have horses, so I have working class dogs, and all from Australia. I have Australian cattle dogs (red and blue heelers) and Australian shepherds. The shepherds are fine around children, but the heelers tend to be a one man dog, not for a family. they are very sharp dogs and need to be challenged. Not saying they can't be raised to be family dogs, for I grew up w/ them in my house as a kid, but they tend to be better off w/ 1-2 adults in the house, but are extremely loyal, and already know how to work!!

Will edit later to add photos, all mine are too big right now and i have to go to work!!
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

i play VERY ruff with mine..

usually thats the time when everyone starts getting second thoughts about my doggie..

she starts growling and showing teeth quite a bit then, viciously.. but its a game nonetheless!

i love my beauty-baby!

dogs are the nicer people i always say..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I love my Border Collie. They're great dogs for active people. Smart, sociable, loving, energetic.

Most Border Collies are black and white, some are brown/tan and white but mine has some of all three.

The only downside to this breed is the hair. Molly is supposedly a "short" haired Border Collie... all I can say is - have a good vacuum. ;)

These are all great dogs.

So far no one has shown any rat or cat sized versions. That's a plus about this crowd.

Though I'm partial to huskies and labs and chessies and collies and German Shepards (ie., REAL dogs, like on a farm), boxers are a very sweet breed.

I'll second that. Boxers are GREAT with kids! Very even temperment. Here's my baby.
'Shell