skyejumper

What's your favorite dog breed?

If your dog is clearing a room often, try changing the food you feed it. Usually it is a sign they are not tolerating something. My dog did not tolerate Pedigree brand dog food, and I believe it was the soy. Just like people, dogs can have food allergies. Also, if you think about it, dogs are not built to eat grains and corn, like most food is made from. It can upset their digestive system. I ended up feeding her Nutro brand, and no more clearing the room.

If your dog is clearing a room often, try changing the food you feed it. Usually it is a sign they are not tolerating something. My dog did not tolerate Pedigree brand dog food, and I believe it was the soy. Just like people, dogs can have food allergies. Also, if you think about it, dogs are not built to eat grains and corn, like most food is made from. It can upset their digestive system. I ended up feeding her Nutro brand, and no more clearing the room.

not a problem anymore as she passed last year. But she knew when she had to and would work it...

I would be sitting at the desk doing work and she would be laying on the couch. After letting one go, she would raise her head and watch. When I would start to cringe and gag her tail would wag.... little shit!!!!

:D
Scars remind us that the past is real

Boston terrier!
Friendly, incredibly smart, good-tempered, not many breed-related health problems, and super cute! oh... not yappy either.

I agree I love my Bostons we have 2. We always had large breed dogs before (Ridgeback and Pitbull)
But since we got the Boston's I love them. Except for the flatulance:P
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

The breed has been mentioned at least twice already, but my vote goes to the Australian Shephard (auusie).

It is a very intelligent breed, but keep in mind they are a working dog. They need excersice and they need mental and physical stimulation. It is a dog you need to stay on top of, but fiercly loyal to the family.

One word of caution with kids. Aussies are herdng dogs and they have been known to try and herd the kids when they take off running. For me it was always funny to see, but it did result in the occasional knock down of my son. Mine never nipped though while doing this, some are known to do that. (I always saw that as a good and not so painful reminder that dogs are animals and should never be trusted)

I have a Miniature Pinscher, Annabelle. I love her but I don't think that she is really what you are looking for. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to brag on my baby and post pics! :)

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

I have a stumpy tail cattle dog, from the humane league. She's a lot like regular cattle dogs and aussie sheppards with the herding instinct, she'll snap and click her teeth when she's herding something. She's great with kids, will herd them, is energetic, so may knock them over, but the most damage she'll do is slobber them to death ;)

She's by far the most loyal and intelligent of our dogs, very attentive to verbal commands and a total attention whore. I agree with everyone else in that she does require lots of exercise and likes to have a 'job' to do.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I have a Miniature Pinscher, Annabelle. I love her but I don't think that she is really what you are looking for. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to brag on my baby and post pics! :)

what are you talking about, its lovely!! i always refer to them as miniature-dobermans, just my thing..

my parents always had dachshounds, the hot-dogs.. I LOVE THEM! the one they have now loves everyone, the one before.. well, if you'd turn your back on him, he'd dig his small teeth in your calf.. but loads of love for the family too.. B|

altough i have a big dog and enjoy it a lot, i cant really understand people that say small dogs are no real dogs, thats kinda limited thinking..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

what are you talking about, its lovely!! i always refer to them as miniature-dobermans, just my thing..

my parents always had dachshounds, the hot-dogs.. I LOVE THEM! the one they have now loves everyone, the one before.. well, if you'd turn your back on him, he'd dig his small teeth in your calf.. but loads of love for the family too.. B|

altough i have a big dog and enjoy it a lot, i cant really understand people that say small dogs are no real dogs, thats kinda limited thinking..

Thanks! I love her to death, I just thought that the original poster was looking more for a bigger dog. Annabelle is my first dog ever, so I am learning as I go with her and I have nothing to compare her to. But I think that she is a pretty great little puppy!:)

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

I have an Italian Greyhound, which is cool for small houses and apartments (looks exactly like a greyhound, but only comes up to your knees in height).

I would recommend a Whippet. They are full of energy and their batteries never shut off. They are also very needy pets, so they'll demand a lot of attention from your children when they get old enough to play with the dog and take care of it.

Go you YouTube and search for "Whippet" to see what these dogs look like.

I agree. I've had big dogs all my life but, I wouldn't be against getting a small dog some day. I think you should have what ever breed, size or sex of dog makes you happy. Variety is the spice of life and if it is in the Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Mammalia Order: Carnivora Family: Canidae Genus: Canis Species: Canis lupus familiaris

IT'S A DOG!!!:D:D:P

BTW I have an Australian Shepard named Reggie and I just adore him! He is the smartest dog I have ever had. He keeps all his toys in one pile and when he wants to play with you he walks over to them, stands there and looks at them for a while and takes his time to pick the one he wants. He also knows them by name and will bring you a specific toy if you ask him to. He also always puts his toys back in his pile when he is done playing with them!B|
Fly like a girl

I've had big dogs all my life but, I wouldn't be against getting a small dog some day.

My entire family has Papillons--at least two each. I had two Papillons and a Mini-Schnauzer growing up, which I loved dearly.

But, I would never buy a dog. I'll always adopt. We were looking for a small dog when adopting, but the bigger dogs are more difficult to adopt out. Cruzer had been at the AC&C for a while b/c he wasn't so excited to see everyone--always laid curled up sadly in the back of his cage. He had been abused apparently.

It only took him three days to come out of his shell once home.:)) but they never fight and Zoe' even plays w/ Cruz and rubs between his legs.:P He learned everything so quickly. We'd say "No!" and ignore him when he did something we didn't like. And we'd reward him with training treats (which we still use) everytime he did something right. Worked like a charm.B|

He was definitely an adjustment for me, but I'm SO happy I fell in love with him b/c a bigger dog fits our lifestyle SO much better. Cruz can go running with us, swimming with us & go on bike rides on the beach. He goes almost everywhere with us.

He's like my big kid. He was/is so scared of unfamiliar things at first, but he trusts me & Billy. He wouldn't even set a paw in the sand at the beach and now he frolics in the waves. He'd never chase the ball into the spring behind our house or in the pond at dog park, but with a little coaxing from me and Billy, he gradually started "floating":D and now he's seriously the fastest swimmer at dog park!:o He can beat them all to the ball and can swim for hours.

I'm SUCH a proud mama!B|

Mutts RULE!:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I agree. I've had big dogs all my life but, I wouldn't be against getting a small dog some day. I think you should have what ever breed, size or sex of dog makes you happy. Variety is the spice of life and if it is in the Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Mammalia Order: Carnivora Family: Canidae Genus: Canis Species: Canis lupus familiaris

BTW I have an Australian Shepard named Reggie and I just adore him! He is the smartest dog I have ever had. He keeps all his toys in one pile and when he wants to play with you he walks over to them, stands there and looks at them for a while and takes his time to pick the one he wants. He also knows them by name and will bring you a specific toy if you ask him to. He also always puts his toys back in his pile when he is done playing with them!B|

thats not only a hell of a smart dog, but the owner seems to be quite smart too!! B|
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

thats not only a hell of a smart dog, but the owner seems to be quite smart too!! B|

:$

Smart? or nerdy? he he:):D
Fly like a girl

skygirl... I wasn't against getting a smaller dog. In fact, I think they're great for sitting in your lap and cuddling. I'm being open-minded and just want to make sure it's not a breed that would snap at a baby for no reason. I know that all dogs can snap if provoked, but I think some are more likely than others.

I love all the great responses here. Soooo many cute dogs! :)

yeah I like doggy style too :D

oh never mind, my mind is wandering. Jack Russell Terriers are kid friendly so are golden retrievers. it al depends on how you raise your dog. keep him/her social and exposed to kids/people and he/she will be people/kid friendly dog.

- What do I owe beer for this time?

:$

Smart? or nerdy? he he:):D

both is very sexy to me.. B|
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I agree with the vote for Boston Terriers! Mine has a wonderful little personality and loves people,kids included.

But if you have a big back yard and want something bigger or you're looking for an "outside" dog rather than an "in the house" dog look at Boxers. I'd love to have another Boxer and/or German Shepard.Boxers are just bigger versions of a Boston in personality and they're dang good family dogs.

As soon as we get a house w/a backyard I'm hoping to get another Boxer and maybe a German Shepard.:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."