RALFFERS

Wirless Network Help

Does anyone know how to setup a wirless network between two computers? I'm pretty computer sappy and have done this in the past, but both computers were running windows xp; this is the first time I'm doing this with one pc running windows xp home edition, while the laptop is running windows vista home edition. I'm using a Linksys Wirless-G 2.4 GHZ broadband router. The problem is that the laptop is not finding the network, and it semms I can't manually set it up either :S....

Thanks a bunch!
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

I'm interested in this too.My lap top allows me to access the wireless but only because i have it set for open access. I'd like to close it but not sure how?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm no expert, but there are a couple ways you can connect your computers.

Go to your control panel, and then "Wireless Network Set-up Wizard" You don't need the router if both computers are wireless enabled (only for the Internet piece). That's one way.

If you set up one of the computers as the "network" on the other computer, go to your control panel and "Network Connections".

The other way is through your router too, but that has something to do with sharing, and your router settings...but I'm not super familiar with that.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Ok, II'm getting somewhere, just not sure where exactly... By all indications wireless capability on the laptop is enabled (I could be wrong). Yet, a pop-up window says that wireless cappability needs to be turned on and is done so by flipping a switch on the computer itself, but I see no sutch switch :S Screenshots attached

Is it an HP? I just got one of those and after some frustrating moments of "why the fuck did my wireless go out?" I figured out that there is a small sliding switch on the front of the laptop. The indicator light needs to be blue.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It's talking about a function key combination. Look at your keyboard on your laptop at the function keys (try F2), there should be a little picture of an antenna. Hit your "Fn" key then "F2" see what happens.

So much for the ultra-cool Vista...:S

Make light!

I got it...there indeed is a switch in front of the comp itself, but it's more undernieth than in front; on top of that it's a black switch, on a black chassey, labled in dark red letters...that's beyond 20/20 vision... Anyway, flipped it on and it found the network automatically.

Squeak...I'm also on unsecured mode for the moment; when I figure out how to password protect the connection I'll let ya know.

Thanks for all the help guys :D

I got it...there indeed is a switch in front of the comp itself, but it's more undernieth than in front; on top of that it's a black switch, on a black chassey, labled in dark red letters...that's beyond 20/20 vision... Anyway, flipped it on and it found the network automatically.

Squeak...I'm also on unsecured mode for the moment; when I figure out how to password protect the connection I'll let ya know.

If you're using the router, then go into the router settings and set up the encryption there. Then put a "key" issued by the router into each wireless-connect for each computer. That will secure your router from being picked up by a neighbor and having them use all your bandwidth.
Make light!

If you're using the router, then go into the router settings and set up the encryption there. Then put a "key" issued by the router into each wireless-connect for each computer. That will secure your router from being picked up by a neighbor and having them use all your bandwidth.
Whilst the words are english it stil makes not sense:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

To password protect your network is simple. Your router should have come with an installation disc. It will guide you through putting a password on it step by step. Typically you have to hard wire one of your computers to it to set it. Post again if you have problems

When you say "set up two computers", you seem to be implying no access point. If that is correct, then check the documentation for instructions on setting up an "Ad Hoc" or "Unmanaged" network.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Whilst the words are english it stil makes not sense:D:D:D

Squeak, I do enterprise networking for a living, and have (or had) an assortment of Cisco certifications including two in wireless networking. That said, the f***ing idiots who came up with the f***ed-up, half-baked, convoluted, slip-shod, half-assed, bunch of wireless "security" kludges that exist today should be taken out and shot.

The last time I upgraded the firmware in my AP (Cisco 1131ag), it took me two hours of fussing with the configs to get it working again.

In a nutshell, when wading through the options of a configuration, try to configure it for:

- Best: WPA2 with PSK.
- 2nd Best: WPA with PSK.

"PSK" is Pre-Shared-Key, i.e. IT gibberish meaning a password known by both parties, but never sent over the air. Also sometimes known by the even dumber term "Personal" security as opposed to "Enterprise" security. The latter refers to the use of an external authentication server, instead of using a PSK. This enables unique passwords for each user.

If your AP can't do WPA or WPA2, you might be stuck with WEP. WEP was a bad joke. It's what you get when a bunch vendors get together to develop a security protocol in secret w/o any actual security experts involved. It can be cracked by any determined script kiddy, but it is a little bit better than no security at all.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

WEP was a bad joke. It's what you get when a bunch vendors get together to develop a security protocol in secret w/o any actual security experts involved. It can be cracked by any determined script kiddy, but it is a little bit better than no security at all.

That just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :|

I haven't had time to play with setting up the passwords, been working all day. Will try to get around to it tomorrow

I swear.....computers are worse than women,,,,and to hell with both of em'

I swear.....computers are worse than women,,,,and to hell with both of em'

Hey now! >:(>:(>:(

He said women, not high-calorie desserts.:P

Well, I am pretty sweet....B|

Since Chicago is one of the 3 major cities, I'm sure you could find your way Call me when you need further directions ;)

Well, I am pretty sweet....B|

Yes, you are looking delicious this evening.B|

So many things I could say in response.....but I am going to exercise restraint tonight.:)

If you need any help with those restraints, just let me know.;)

***So many things I could say in response.....but I am going to exercise restraint tonight.[Smile]

Party pooper :|
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>