spiccoli

is it too early for hurricane katrina jokes?

Gee, April, "you people" are so sensitive!

[For my next act, ladies and gentlemen, I shall poke a crocodile with a stick!]

[Walt runs like hell, laughing all the way....:D:D:D:D:D]

Walt

Don't forget the good ol' elbow smash to the back of the head... :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Walt

OUCH! >:(

Hey d00d.....do that again and I'll get a stingray buddy of mine, to 'break yer heart'! :P

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

Walt

I'm not 'sensitive'. I'm sensiBLE (most times).

I'm about to get 'sensitive' all over your a$$ in a mintue :D:D:D~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

OUCH! >:(

Hey d00d.....do that again and I'll get a stingray buddy of mine, to 'break yer heart'! :P

I'm hoping April will "punish" me.:$:$

Walt

I'm going to your 'mayonnaise' thread and see how much punishment you actually deserve!~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

***the oil and gas is offshore bro, not in the city???

well, the water was to untill it decided to move into the city and flood it.

ok, heres the diagnostic-
there were so many black people in new orleans floating around, that from the air it looked like an oil spill.
others,
technicaly, its not racist since its only an observation based on the color contrast. however its easy to see how some could take it as racist, since anything that refers to somone's state of being black, other than african american is considered racist. in the end, its all up to the audience if it is or not, and since i dont have the experience to guage audiences, ill probably exclude it. looks like the nose blow one is a no go as well. good to find these things out online and not on stage. thanks for all the feedback everyone.

we need to talk about your flare..

pretty much with any tragedy you have two choices about how to deal with the aftermath..

laugh or cry.

I've yet to see the value in crying. Those who insist that crying is the 'only valid response' have a much longer road to walk towards 'getting over' whatever the event was...

Sigh...that still doesn't make it right.

Right so here:
What do Hurricanes like Katrina and ex wives have in common....
They hurl themselves at you Hot, Wet, and Blowing Hard.... then when they leave they take the house & the car & you're left behind soaked, & in financial ruin, just staring at the aftermath in awe. Wondering how you survived!
Um, I gotta run outta here now before the ladies are through reading this :D:D:P Um, that reminds me Turtle make me do it! >:( Bye>>>>>>>>>>>>>
You're as wonderful as a slinkie!! NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

ok, heres the diagnostic- blah blah blah

OK dude if ya gotta explain it, something's terribly ASKEW, in the Delivery, Don't give up the day Job!:P
You're as wonderful as a slinkie!! NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Generic comment, not targeted at anyone, but I just don't understand why jokes of any racist flavor are necessary. [:/] When in doubt, I say to work a little harder at something funny that doesn't come at someone else's expense (and that goes way beyond racial issues). I know there's a lot in comedy that plays off of other people and stereotypes and I'm not devoid of humor, but there is a line and I guess I'd draw it a lot further back than other people.

TPM Sister #102

What most people don't realize is that south Mississippi was much much more heavily damaged and had a much higher loss of life than New Orleans. Pretty much the whole southern half of the state had nearly every single home damaged or destroyed with no power, water or gas for a month at least. The media choose to concentrate on New Orleans, but the storm didn't directly damage New Orleans. It broke the levee and flooded about 1/3 of the city but they got off easy compared to south Mississippi. There were entire towns in S.M. that are were non-existent for over a year. Both New Orleans and south Mississippi were a tragedy, but it's unfortunate that the media concentrated their efforts where it did.

And the looters were both black, white, mexican and sometimes...local police. I honestly don't blame people that looted food and supplies in those days. That was survival and I only stopped those with T.V.s and clothes ect.

I'm with the highway patrol here and I fired warning shots at just about every color I could think of.. always afraid they were going to fire back.

How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk and it becomes a delicious drink. That's the chocolate I'm talking about.

You just can't beat that.
"Fuck that. I'll take a good ass-pounding over a bj any day." -- pyrotech

Generic comment, not targeted at anyone, but I just don't understand why jokes of any racist flavor are necessary. [:/] When in doubt, I say to work a little harder at something funny that doesn't come at someone else's expense (and that goes way beyond racial issues). I know there's a lot in comedy that plays off of other people and stereotypes and I'm not devoid of humor, but there is a line and I guess I'd draw it a lot further back than other people.

The same could be considered true of using offensive words in comedy routines. Personally I think it's the nature of humor to push the limits of what is acceptable and point out some of the ugly truths we live with. Here's a joke that is sure to offend a great many people, but I consider it pure genius:

Q: "When does a black guy become a nigger?"
A: "As soon as he leaves the room!"

That joke brilliantly plays on one of the many hypocrisies in our culture as well as playing on the paranoid idea among some minorities that whites have some sort of conspiracy going on.

Is the joke necessary? Not any more or less than any other joke. Is the use of the "n word" necessary in that joke? Absolutely.

Oh, and speaking of hypocrisy. Imagine Chris Rock telling that joke. Now imagine a white comedian telling that joke. Even with the exact same audience I'm sure the reaction would be quite different.

Regardless of who tells it, I think it's a brilliant joke because it exposes an ugly part of our culture (and probably many other cultures) but does so in an incredibly clever way.

Stick with the "safe" humor if you want, but I'll listen to all flavors.

Walt

ah, jeez.

well, i guess its on to native american jokes then. i think the trail of tears fizzled out before it made it to the west coast, so i should be ok there. they havnt had any attention for a while anyway.
we need to talk about your flare..

The same could be considered true of using offensive words in comedy routines. Personally I think it's the nature of humor to push the limits of what is acceptable and point out some of the ugly truths we live with. Here's a joke that is sure to offend a great many people, but I consider it pure genius:

Q: "When does a black guy become a nigger?"
A: "As soon as he leaves the room!"

That joke brilliantly plays on one of the many hypocrisies in our culture as well as playing on the paranoid idea among some minorities that whites have some sort of conspiracy going on.

Is the joke necessary? Not any more or less than any other joke. Is the use of the "n word" necessary in that joke? Absolutely.

Oh, and speaking of hypocrisy. Imagine Chris Rock telling that joke. Now imagine a white comedian telling that joke. Even with the exact same audience I'm sure the reaction would be quite different.

Regardless of who tells it, I think it's a brilliant joke because it exposes an ugly part of our culture (and probably many other cultures) but does so in an incredibly clever way.

Stick with the "safe" humor if you want, but I'll listen to all flavors.

Walt

That is along the lines of:

What does every racial joke start with . . .

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun