spiccoli

is it too early for hurricane katrina jokes?

Im doing my first stand up routine next week. I have a few one-liners im thinking of throwing in the bit that Im iffy on, but I think too much of my own sense of humor, and need to test the waters with the online masses first.

1. "They say that if you ignore a problem long enough, it will go away.. That just might be the ticket to solving world hunger."
2. "I like to use the handicap stalls because I know theres a better chance the seat hasnt been pissed on as much...I just hope I dont get a ticket."
3. "The assuring thing about dating jewish girls, is that theyre kosher, so their alot cleaner to eat."
4. "When I was flying over Louisiana, I thought we had another major oil spill, but apparently it was just a densly populated black neighborhood that had been flooded" (this is probably crossing the line)
5. "I dated this reall tall dame once, and boy Ill never forget how good my nose felt every time she got back up from her knees."

Well, theres a small sample to see if Im on the right track or way off. You have to picture them incorporated into an act. Some can be elaborated on, but some may need to be scratched, so dont hold back. Ofcourse there will be the usual filler about asians and gay roomates and such.

if youre in the LA area next weekend, I could use a few well-placed laughs as well.
we need to talk about your flare..

I can't imagine ever seeing humor in how Hurricane Katrina affected my family and friends. I was there for 10 days in September 2005 for "relief efforts" and it was much more difficult than I was prepared for.

Yes, you are probably right. Time though, has a way of changing the context of things good or bad, and you never know how people will take it, and somtimes comedians hit the jack pot playing off these. Though in this case, perhaps its in poor taste and probably shouldnt be used.

That hurricane joke is funny if its placed in the right spot.

I'm sure your intention isn't to place all these jokes together.

but I can see how some of these would make me laugh especially if I had a few drinks and they were sandwiched between jokes of the same mood.

One thing I think the weaker comics lack is a segway.

You can just jump from one topic to the next.;)

EDIT: the first joke made me laugh because to the way you have to actually GET IT.
if you ignore the hungry, they will eventually dissapear.

Yes, its funny. and for those toucy people reading. No I don't think letting hungry people die is laughable. I do a lot of volunteer work for homeless etc. But I would laugh at that joke.

My photos

My Videos

I find them funny... although I dont get the tall girl joke :| Katrina jokes were funny since it happened... really the only thing Id be offended by would be 9/11 jokes, then again I was gonna make my kids a pilot and a towel head that year it happened so I am drowning in poor taste.

Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Might work - you never know the audience. Gilbert Gotfried got booed for doing a 9/11 joke a month after 9/11. Something about catching a flight and connecting at the Empire State Building. A week later he did the same joke and got laughs.

As someone who used to do stand-up, I can tell you that no audience is like an audience at a club - because at the club, they're in the moment that they're going to laugh, as opposed to here, or anywhere else, where it's not truly ingrained.

Let us know what happens...

And remember what bush said when asked about Roe v. Wade - "I don't care how they get out of New Orleans."

Ba dum, bum. Good night, folks. Tip your waitstaff, they're working hard for you.

HEre's a one liner you can use.

My Mother never understood the irony of calling me a son of a bitch.

(Yes, My mom used to call me that when she was angry with me and I would laugh everytime. Then, one day I explained it to her and she laughed.)
My photos

My Videos

well if she was so tall how could she suck his nose, wouldnt his face and hers not match up?

Oh and shuddup twardo... your just pissed cause you share a city with all the katrina refugees

Let's jsut say that joke would bomb.

She's on her knees to blow him but she's so tall she is still tall enough to blow his nose.

(I like the idea but the delivery is weak)
My photos

My Videos

well if she was so tall how could she suck his nose, wouldnt his face and hers not match up?

Oh and shuddup twardo... your just pissed cause you share a city with all the katrina refugees

Yeah....but ya can't see 'em at night, unless they smile, guess it's the 'oil spill' thing. B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Let's jsut say that joke would bomb.

She's on her knees to blow him but she's so tall she is still tall enough to blow his nose.

(I like the idea but the delivery is weak)

Maybe if he added something like that.

Now, everytime I blow my nose I can't help but miss her.

I just don'tthink that joke is good by itself
My photos

My Videos

oh umm okay yea that ones not to good, maybe you need a prop :D

Twardo... you dont see them at night cause they are just waiting in the shadows for another storm, they havent gone shopping since katrina :|

Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

No, these arent to be lumped together nor are they in there refined stages.

I have a cohesive acts, with good bridges, but these are just particular parts that I couldnt tell if the audience would get. Most of the act is just complaining, with one liners paced throughout. theyre all in their infancy.

There is general rule for jokes (cannot remember the source).

"Explaining a joke is a lot like dissecting a frog...

You learn a lot about the frog, but the frog dies in the process."

Guys will generally get the "nose" joke because we know that anything involving a womans knees means sex.

Comming from someone that lost every thing to the storm tread carefully. some people dont even want to think about what happened but there are some that keep their humor about it. read the crowd before you start the katrina jokes.
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

You don't think the black people in your audience will be offended by #4 since it's a racial joke?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon