avgjoe

round reserve slider bumpers

I opened up a round reserve the other day and found it had slider bumpers. What would be the purpose of putting slider bumpers on a canopy without a slider? I couldn't come up with a good reason. What am I missing?

Avgjoe
Hookit for safety

Bumbers are also good for preventing side loading on the quick links and keeps the barrel nut in place(although you still check it).

I'd keep them on.;)
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Traditional slider bumber and other similar devices can offer the advantage of keeping the lines oriented on the link properly. In other words they can keep the link from being loaded side ways or one line getting down onto or below the barrel and being loaded differently.

I've seen tygon slider bumpers, silcon slider bumpers, fabric slider bumpers, fabric line guides (for lack of a better description) I think from Precision, super tack through the riser loop( and some fairly elaborate tying patterns, seal thread through the line loops, hmmmm and probably other things with the idea of keeping the links and lines properly oriented.

I used to be a fanatic about NOT having tubing slider bumpers on reserves because a friends main malfunction (on his wedding day!) was caused by a bumper going up the lines. I just didn't think it was worth the risk or the bulk, and any damage to the slider could be delt with when it happened. I was also a fanatic about tying down main bumpers. Now I want something there for the reason above. But I keep changing what I put on and I service rigs with almost all of the above and don't bother changing them, but make sure they're tied down.

Also I can think of at least two rounds that have 'sliders', one being the Stong Aerosport with a spider slider.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have only seen bumpers on National Phantoms and Aerostars.

Strong puts clear shrink-tube on theirs... which is great for avoiding side-load...

Unfortunately to check the link torque, you have to cut them off.[:/]

J
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...