alanab

Yahoo Photos Closing... what next?

Hey All,
I use yahoo photos to store all my digital pictures, when I logged on today to put new pics up, I got a message saying yahoo photos is closing and that they can move all of my photos for me to one of the following sites.
I don't have any expeience using any other photo sharing site, so I am trying to get some feedback from other users on which site they use and what they like/dislike about it.

Thanks!

I've used Kodak's site and it's pretty easy to use, and super easy to have prints made if I don't have a printer to do so.

EDIT TO ADD: Yahoo! Photos is shutting down because Yahoo! owns Flickr, so you'll probably see better continuity with Flickr...I guess.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Flickr. I've been using it for a few years now. I find it very user-friendly, I especially like the way it stores photos (compressed for the main photo page, but with various sizes available for viewing). It has lots of cool tagging and indexing features, and there's a whole online community aspect of it that I haven't used that much, but I know a lot of people use to facilitate photo-sharing, etc.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I love flickr, it's great, you can upload your pic and then download it in various sizes. If you pay for a pro account ($29 for a year) you get 2gb of storage a month!
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I doubt it's unlimited for free accounts but I'm not sure. If it's 2gb for pay accounts you can deduce it's probably less storage per month than that. Just so you know I've never hit my quota when I used a free or pay account.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

is there a limit of how much you can store on fliker with a free account? yahoo was unlimited.

Your storage is unlimited, but there is a bandwidth usage limit on a monthly basis. For free accounts, it's 100MB per month. However, I believe the service lets you resize your pics, so you could compress your photos, and send more of them.

Also, I found out that if you migrate from Yahoo! to Flickr, they'll give you a Pro account for three months free. The pro accounts have a 2GB monthly bandwidth limit.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I've had shutterfly for several years, but I can't compare because I haven't used any of the others. I don't share many photos, but I have a lot of books made and things like that. I'm getting some big canvas prints made for the pool house now. Everything I've had printed has been good quality. I bet the other services offer the same types of products, but I'm not sure.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

None of the above I use google Picasa along with their Picasa web album You get 1 GB for free and 7GB for $29 26GB for $100 101GB for $300 and 251GB for $500 I like the picasa app very easy to upload and if it gets intrupted it will pick up where it left off and very easy for photos to be downloaded instad of having people always ask me to send them stuff I upload them there and let them download it as you can select an entier photo album for download with out hassel of selecting individual photos if there is a lot. They albums can also be made private or public

http://picasaweb.google.ca/Armour1
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Here is the storage policy for Kodak Gallery:

Storage Policy
Kodak EasyShare Gallery provides free unlimited online photo storage to you for 12 months from the date you first upload an image to your account. That means you can upload as many photos and develop as many rolls of film as you like.

We'll store your photos online for you as long as you're an active member of the Gallery. "Active" means that you make at least one purchase from the Gallery at least once every 12 months. There's no minimum purchase requirement and any purchase - including a single Kodak print, an Archive CD, a Gallery Premier subscription, or any item from the Shop - will renew your storage and safeguard your photos for an additional 12 months. The 12-month free storage period restarts with each purchase, or in the case of a subscription, when your subscription period expires.

I've been using it for a few years now, and I never even knew that was the policy. I guess I've made at least one purchase every year though, so it's never come up.

I really like their service, but I haven't used any others, so I don't know how it compares.

None of the above I use google Picasa along with their Picasa web album You get 1 GB for free and 7GB for $29 26GB for $100 101GB for $300 and 251GB for $500 I like the picasa app very easy to upload and if it gets intrupted it will pick up where it left off and very easy for photos to be downloaded instad of having people always ask me to send them stuff I upload them there and let them download it as you can select an entier photo album for download with out hassel of selecting individual photos if there is a lot. They albums can also be made private or public

http://picasaweb.google.ca/Armour1

+1

:)
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I vote for Picasa as well. Really really really easy to use. From my card to the web it takes 2 clicks. The picasa application also has some basic editing tools that make it really easy to crop, adjust colors, rotate, apply settings, etc.

I have used photobucket a bunch in the past few years. Too bad I mainly used it for hosting pics for eBay. They have an uploader software called Flock. It works pretty good. The albums can be made private or public. The ads on the screen can be distracting at times. I like it best because you can select the photos you want and then click a generate HTML button. They will give you like 4 different choices for HTML code. That was good for me to just select the pictures I wanted and then make them HTML for my eBay auctions. All photo sites are about the same. But now since you informed me... I have to move my Yahoo pics :(
"... and I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it...."

Sometimes you have to invest in things you like.. radical thought ;)

I love flickr; the API, the way I can store, the groups, the tag structure, the sets of sets, it's all been falling together for years now.

I want to know my data is taken care of. Most of the other services are tied to retailers that are pushing purchasing. Image bucket was a free one stop slop shop for url chucking but I wouldn't call it professional grade.

It costs like .08c a day. You can't get better storage costs out of Amazon S3 service. If you care about your photography and want to be able to access is in some formidable ways choose it.

http://flickr.com/photos/ciordia/

-a
it's my island
"Life is all about strategy, mathematics and psychological perceptiveness."

because yahoo only offers to transfer my photos to the poll options above. otherwise id have to manually do it x 8000 photos, no thanks!

With that being the case, I think you should move your stuff over to Flickr. Someone had mentioned they are offering the first 3 months free, so it sounds like the right move with the amount of files you've got to move.

But, like I said earlier, its only a click or 2 to get all those pics from Picasa onto the web. If you still have them on your computer, it could be as easy as opening Picasa, "Select All", and "Publish to Web Album", then go to sleep and let Picasa do it's thing.

Oh, and one more thing, when in the HELL am I going to be able to see my Oh-hi-hoes again???:)

Oh, and one more thing, when in the HELL am I going to be able to see my Oh-hi-hoes again???:)

im a col-o-rad-ho now! but, since i pretty much quit jumping, i'm guessing it'll be a while till i see you bobby :(
justi just got a sweet job flying jets, but she doesnt know where she will be based out of yet (either dayton, charlotte or knoxville)

im a col-o-rad-ho now! but, since i pretty much quit jumping, i'm guessing it'll be a while till i see you bobby :(
justi just got a sweet job flying jets, but she doesnt know where she will be based out of yet (either dayton, charlotte or knoxville)

So you're gonna just slide that one in? Justi?? Flying jets???? Do tell you sexy Colorado livin woman!!!
I like coconuts. You can break them open and they smell like ladies lying in the sun!