simplyputsi

How come on a cd

You can see the colors of the rainbow??

What's goin on there???

Step away from the cowpattie mushrooms.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

mp3's are gay... they killed the album

ooh oohhh i like one song by this band... and one by this band.. there's no motivation to put out a kick ass album like Houses of the Holy or Animals or News of the World, or Appetite for Distruction. Now it's all... how do I look on t.v. ... am I punk enough.... will people click my website. Rubbish... it's all now rubbish
[:/];)

mp3's are gay... they killed the album

ooh oohhh i like one song by this band... and one by this band.. there's no motivation to put out a kick ass album like Houses of the Holy or Animals or News of the World, or Appetite for Distruction. Now it's all... how do I look on t.v. ... am I punk enough.... will people click my website. Rubbish... it's all now rubbish
[:/];)

I think piisfish uses 8 tracks still. It's a little behind the times over there.:P
Skymama's #2 stalker -

What's goin on there???

Yeah, but have you fried one in the microwave oven? The blue lightning or sparks are really cool! B|

You only want to run the oven just until the sparks flash. Any longer and the smell is hard to get rid of. :P

Of course, I wouldn't do it in my home microwave oven. I did it at work in the breakroom... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

What's goin on there???

Yeah, but have you fried one in the microwave oven? The blue lightning or sparks are really cool! B|

You only want to run the oven just until the sparks flash. Any longer and the smell is hard to get rid of. :P

Of course, I wouldn't do it in my home microwave oven. I did it at work in the breakroom... :D

hold my beer and watch this!

you just crack me up.. B|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

That is an excellent explanation, only problem is it does no apply to CDs at all ;)
Thin film interference happens for example on the surface of a water puddle that is contaminated by a lighter then water substance (such as motor oil) which forms a thick, uneven film on the puddle's surface. The varying thickness of the film is what causes the colors to change across the surface.
A CD's coating is just too uniform and too thick to cause any interference.
The surface of a CD (or a DVD) is actually acting like a diffraction grating, a tool used in some types of spectrometers. This phenomenon is invariably cited in any text describing how a diffraction grating actually works, like in this Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_grating

Hope this helps.

Vale

Forget putting CDs in a microwave - have you ever tried putting a bar of soap in there?

Great fun B|:):)

Oh really? What happens? Can it be done without stinking up the oven?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

But I was more amazed at what a light green grape will do in the microwave!

If'n you've got an old microwave you don't care about destroying ... Try a light bulb. The metal screw part at the end will spark and could destroy your magnetron. But if you do it for a short period (5-10 seconds), you get some nice colors that glow from the filament.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

If you don't want to break your microwave, put the lightbulb in a cup of water, so it covers the metal adaptor bit. It'll light up as if it was plugged into the light socket.

Used to use it to test for microwave leaks. Of course, don't leave it on too long :P

'buttplugs? where?' - geno