warpedskydiver

This guy must be a skydiver as well

"HELEN, Ga. - A former Marine killed a bear with a single blow — by tossing a log at its head.

The bear had snatched the family's cooler from their campsite in a national forest in northern Georgia. The 300-pound black bear was taking its loot back into the woods when Chris Everhart's 6-year-old son threw a shovel at it.

Everhart says the bear started charging, so he grabbed the first thing he could find, which happened to be a log from the family's firewood.

Everhart lobbed the chunk of wood, hitting the bear in the head and killing it.

"(I) threw it at it and it happened to hit the bear in the head," Everhart said. "I thought it just knocked it out but it actually ended up killing the bear."

The close call earned Everhart bragging rights — and a ticket. Park authorities say he didn't properly secure his campsite."

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19374624

Semper Fi!

The park ranger ticketed him after he had to fight off a damn black bear?

What an asshole. :S

I know... fucking dipshit ranger. :| Marine's a fucking hero and all he gets for it is a ticket. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I know... fucking dipshit ranger. :| Marine's a fucking hero and all he gets for it is a ticket. :S

Take control of your offspring and teach them to not throw shovels at retreating animals
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Take control of your offspring and teach them to not throw shovels at retreating animals

I must have missed that 'don't throw a shovel at a black bear stealing our picnic' lesson I was supposed to teach my kids in kindergarten.

Damn!
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

You also must have missed the lesson that if you are in a bear area the only time you go near your food store is to gather, then cook, then eat, then dispose of any remains of your food safely. That means safe for you and the bear... You do not have so much as a snickers wrapper in your pocket, he will smell it and will rip you, your tent and family to shreds to find it. That is what he does.

Food should be stored in a locked, very strong, metal box or hoisted into the trees in such a manner that bears CANNOT get to - not a cooler FFS - both of which should not be in a position to allow the prevailing wind to carry to your campsite. Both entail being several hundred yards away, at minimum from camp.

Sometimes I think you guys think your National Parks are Disneyland without the rides. They should be areas of wilderness where the animals have free rein (and base'rs :o). Fine to camp out in but appreciate the risks before hand. Possibly that comes from the sense of 'conquering' the country on the way out west. Count how many north american bison there were before westerners came and now. Do not do the same to the bears.

It seems here in Europe we go the other way, we do have national parks, and there the animals are the priority. Although sadly some individuals dont respect that.

How ever in this case, you can't blame the dad for saving his kid. He should have planned better, made sure the food was secured. End of day, he did not run his campsite properly and as such he got off lightly, his kid is still alive, thank Jeebus.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

Yeah, dipshit ranger for enforcing national park rules that are there to protect both campers and wildlife. What a cunt.:|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Well....if the Marine thought he was in danger...
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/18/national/main2944148.shtml Popular BASE area, was shut down til the authorities caught/shot the bear that killed an 11 year old boy last week.
About 30 mins from our home.
The parents of the boy blame the Park Service for their son/grandson for being mauled to death.

Ive backpacked in this area (Jacks River). Always secure your food above the ground in a tree!.

We had a visit one night (when our food was outside the tent) , the bear snatched the food in my daughters back pack and ran up a hill.

Next morning we went to investigate up the hill....we found my daughers pack, all the food was gone, i stepped in bear shit, we reclaimed my daughters camera and took pictures of the mess!

We also found many things the bear had stolen: several packs, and beer....seems that there were at least 10-12 cases of beer stolen, a six/twelve pack at a time.

Count how many north american bison there were before westerners came and now. Do not do the same to the bears.

To late. It's already happened. Grizzly bears are only in 2% of their original U.S. range. Their U.S. numbers went from the 100,000 in the early 1900's to only being in the hundreds nowadays. :(

So the bear dies because this family was irresponsible about storing their food. And irresponsible about teaching their child to respect wildlife.

And now the father has "bragging rights"?

He should be teaching his son that because of their irresponsibility, a bear (doing what bears do in their own environment) had to be killed. Man interfered with nature and now nature pays the price.

Yeah, I'd be really proud if I were him.[:/]

It seems here in Europe we go the other way, we do have national parks, and there the animals are the priority. Although sadly some individuals dont respect that.

No worries. We have so many animals over here we're still allowed to go out and hunt them, including bison and bears.

The parents of the boy blame the Park Service for their son/grandson for being mauled to death.

A few years ago our children were camping with grandparents in Utah, close to that campground. At 5 in the morning, a black bear tore into their tent, sending them running to grandma's trailer. They used the dogs to tree the bear, then the rangers came around 7, tranqued the bear, and took it off in a cage to be released. Our family packed up and went home, deciding not to camp another night there.

On the way out, grandma asked the rangers at the entrance if they had any bear problems. "Oh yes" was their reply. But they had only posted a small 8 1/2 " x 11" notice in one of the windows about it, nothing else to warn folks. It seems the drought and the non bear proof dumpsters at the campground were bringing in the black bears at an unprecedented rate.

If they are still using non secure garbage cans at that park in American Fork, Utah, those parents may have a case.

I think you guys are missing my point...the kid was 6 years old. People calling the parents irresponsible about not teaching their 6 year old proper 'ettiquette' for a bear marching through your picnic need to think about 6 year olds for a minute. :S

Sorry, my life lessons for my kids at that time was about eating vegetables, behaving properly and not hurting the puppy that's trying to lick their faces, not what to do if a wild bear walks up to you.

Edit to add: going into a wildlife preserve, yeah I think I would be talking to my kiddos about things they might see...but I stick to my assertion that a kindergarten child is not to be blamed for being afraid of a big animal and trying to scare it off by throwing something at it...even if mom and dad told him/her not to throw things at animals before. Kindergarteners don't have the reasoning ability of adults, and the poor kid was scared.

~Jaye

I think being a parent must be the hardest job in the world. I respect everyone that does it well. However if you are going to take kids into that kind of enviroment maybe you should think about for a minute and consider what the risks are. People can be stupid some times and when things go wrong they look for someone to blame.

Is it appropriate to take small children into an area where there are large predators about? Not my call to make, that is down to the parents.

I think it is a similar issue to kids doing tandems.

Edited to add: Sorry, my 1st post came over a little preachy, that wasn't my intent.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

Is it appropriate to take small children into an area where there are large predators about? Not my call to make, that is down to the parents.

That's a reasonable question.

It's also good to know how likely one is to run into a predator...and from some of the other people posting on this thread that know that area, it does not seem to be a rare occurrence.

That said, I was brought up running around the forrest...camp grounds, mainly, and being so young I don't recall ever having heard about the incidence of bears wandering through those areas. I remember seeing a lot of wildlife, but no big cats, and no bears. I think the most dangerous critter I remember running across was a raccoon (and they can be nasty). -Those or skunks and porcupines. those aren't fun, but they don't tend to be lethal...
~Jaye

So the bear dies because this family was irresponsible about storing their food.

Well, I wouldn't make that direct connection. It started the chain of events, but that chain could have also led to numerous other alternative outcomes.

And bears sometimes come around anyway, even with the food stored properly. The "bear boxes" (metal storage containers) at campsites keep the bears from getting to the food, but it doesn't stop odors from escaping which can attract the bear.

But once the bear was headed for his 6-year-old son, Dad HAD to do everything he could to save his son. It was just last month that a boy was dragged out of a tent and killed, while camping somewhere else. So I don't fault Dad for doing what we could at that point to stop the attack.