Bodhisattva420

My buddies first round jump

My friend Adam(9 jumps) was doing a 2 way from 8000 ft and lost altitude awareness while practicing some turns. He checked his altimeter around 2,500 ft., pulled around 2 grand and ended up with 2 canopies out. He cutaway and stood up his landing on a 26ft. round reserve. Ironically, he lost the low pull contest with his instructor.

stood up his landing on a 26ft. round reserve.

...which means he either went against his training to PLF under his round reserve, which isn't good, or he wasn't trained to do so, which isn't good.

I would not recommend anyone who is not an experienced jumper trying to stand up a landing under a round reserve, especially nowadays when common jumping footwear is sneakers without any kind of ankle support. At the very least, put your feet and knees tightly together, knees slightly bent, and don't fight your body going down to the ground when you land. Better yet, PLF - roll it out.

Hi c10,

much less standing the landing up

Except for my two 24 ft twill canopy landings, I have stood-up every round reserve that I have ever used.

And that has been a few, but I was a 'couple (?)' pounds lighter in those days. :P

JerryBaumchen

PS) But as Andy says; this guy should be doing PLF's.

My hat goes off to anyone who stands up a round landing. The one I've jumped comes down like a shit-ton of bricks and it's a jumbo sized PC.

More on topic if the guy pulled at 2k then was it an ultra-long snivel and an AAD fire that resulted in the 2 out? Or was the pull closer to 1k?

-Michael

My hat goes off to anyone who stands up a round landing. The one I've jumped comes down like a shit-ton of bricks and it's a jumbo sized PC.

I used to own a standard Mark I PC and stood it up regularly. How much do you weigh?

Also, remember not to flare them like a square. Just do a chin up on the rear risers right as you land.;)

I'm not sure how long the snivel was. He did say that he had line twists on his main. Our instructors said that the mains take 800 feet to completely inflate and that AAD will fire at 1000 feet +/- 400 feet. So I'm thinking that Adam probably pulled just under 2000 feet(1900 maybe?) and the AAD fired a little high, 1300 feet maybe while the main was still inflating.

Also, remember not to flare them like a square. Just do a chin up on the rear risers right as you land.;)

Yeah but that wasnt just because it "may" have helped the landing, more like, one was scared shit less trying to climb back up before impact!:S;) Ok so maybe it slowed the decent rate a little, but who cares after say; 20' per second, whats a foot or two at that point?

What do I know, I only watched you tough folks pound in every weekend for the first 16 years of my life, while you paid me $.50 to pack the darn things (mains).

Yes there still are DZ's with rounds, I visited one state (not Texas) a few years ago while I was with SunPath and I noticed the student rigs looked awfully familiar. I asked the owner if he knew Bob Chaffin, he said yes, "that is who I got my student rigs from". Turns out he had the rig I made my fist jump on in 1984! I could not believe it.

You made your first jump in 1984 but you've been in the sport for 42 years? Just curious.

Your answer.

What do I know, I only watched you tough folks pound in every weekend for the first 16 years of my life, while you paid me $.50 to pack the darn things (mains).

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

You made your first jump in 1984 but you've been in the sport for 42 years? Just curious.

Your answer.

So if you are born into a skydiving family, that counts as time in sport. :S I did read that(first 16 years of my life) but I doubt he was packing from day 1 of his life, hence the question.

Well most of the ones I know, I would say yes, most the years say 8 or so on would count for something a lot of times those "kids" can do every job on the DZ, even fly the plane, have done it all for years and in a lot cases are still doing it and have every rating you could think of. I've known a number of them in my time in and around the sport.

Clint Clawson
Rook Nelson
Jon Stewart and all the other Stewart kids
All the Mullins Kids

Just to name a few people I know and I think a few other people might know as well.......
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Your answer.

So if you are born into a skydiving family, that counts as time in sport. :S I did read that(first 16 years of my life) but I doubt he was packing from day 1 of his life, hence the question.

Timmyfitz, they are valid questions, your not the first to ask them, and each time I am asked, I question myself on how I express "my time in the sport". So I hear ya.

Strato is on the money as well. I was flying the family 172 by the time I was 4 (the 182 was the clubs plane that my parents ran), could take off and fly the pattern. By the time I was 6 i was packing, teaching, guiding students down (orange paddles no radios) and landing the 172. Taking instantomatic pictures from the student seat on exit or landing photos of jumpers for profit. My first solo was at 14 in a glider and the second was the family 172 at 16 with my father jumping out. So I was actually a "jump pilot" on my solo flight, and have never flown jumpers since.

The quote in question can be interpreted in different ways, I wrote it to mean "watching the first 16 years" and packing for most of them (10 to be exact).
Another point that strato makes I think is, 2nd,3rd and 4th generation skydivers will most likely have more knowledge, experience, and understanding about skydiving by the time they are old enough to jump than the 200, or sometimes even 500 jump wonder has. Why? because we saw it, felt it, grieved it, and even buried the mistakes, all without ever actually jumping.
Especially today with the high performance canopies (or collisions) being half of the total fatalities each year. Lets face it, the average "life span" of new jumpers today is 3-5 years before they "femur" or swoop themselves out of life or the sport.

My mother made 24 jumps with me while pregnant, hell she even broke her arm holding a students static line as an instructor (excuse me, that would be a JM) while still in the plane and pregnant (in the 60's). She then went on to become President of USPA (80's/90's) and was chief judge for practically all of the first 20 years of the US Nationals (Oklahoma) which each year half the family would drive there from TX and the other fly in the 172 (dad and myself).

So please, you tell me, Im all about the different perspectives, how do I answer the question, "how long have you been in the sport"? When asked like that, 42 years is my answer, you ask me how long I have been jumping, 25 years is my answer.

Now riddle me this, who/what is a 2nd, 3rd,4th generation skydiver? Did ones father do a few military jumps so you as a son or daughter are now skydivers, did he do one tandem before you? My answer is this, a 2nd (or more) generation skydiver is from parents that "sport jumped" on a somewhat "regular" basis. Ones that had skydiving in their lives, even if they stopped prior to the childs birth, it was a major part and "genetics" in the family. Just my opinion on that, cause 2nd (and more) generation skydive formations can be really fun these days!!!!

And there is one more reason for claiming 42 years in the sport. Being that some folks appreciate the time or history in skydiving, it gives me bragging rights, or the "lower" license number (even though mine are high under the circumstances) so yeah, its egotistical, big headed, and cool!:):P
But honestly, being able to share the experiences,photos, 16mm films I have, or inherited is what is important to me. Sharing that just might save a life, or even keep someone jumping for many years to come.

Seriously though, I do appreciate the questioning of my profile, cause......I'm still trying to figure out that answer too!!

And damn you Strato, if you had not replied to him with those circumstances, my answer would have been to Timmyfitz: "cause I grew up on a DZ"
But ironically I recently went thru this with a 1st time DZO who has young children and ridiculed me for only having 1500 jumps in 25 years (as in: "what do you know"?). His kids will give him my reply in about 10-12 years (hopefully less, cause I plan on being at this DZ for a long time), then he will understand;)

I dont think it is much different than say.....Dale Earnhardt JR, Kiefer Sutherland, or JFK Jr? Its a part of their life, in it or not, they lived it.

Ahhh hell, what do i know? I just got my SCSA!!! LOL

Be safe all!
J