JustaBill

paid umpire gig

I've been umpiring my kids' little league games for about 4 years. Tonight I actually get paid for it for the first time. The VP of the league asked me to work the plate for one of the year end tournament games tonight. It'll be kind of nice since neither of my kids is playing so I don't have to worry about anyone claiming favortism. Should be a good time, wish me luck.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

The umpires for my kid's games have always been paid, even though the umpires can be as young as 14. I think they get $25 for 2 hours.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I called high school ball for 5 years. It was taking away from my skydiving time and I was tired of being yelled at for doing the right thing. I would never do it again, no matter what call you make, right or wrong, someone is upset. We probably have some of the worst fans in the country here in Alabama. With the example these people are setting for their kids - lord help us.

Edit: Good luck!

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

I think I'm gonna get licensed to do high school ball next year. I figure if I'm catching shit from both sides of the diamond then I'm doin my job. And I have found that the parents are the worst. I had one a couple weeks ago that was trying to tell me how to do it. I walked up to him between innings and informed him it was a volunteer position and if he thought he could do better he should volunteer. He declined so I told him to sit there and be quiet, and if he didn't he could watch the rest of the game from his car.

Parents can be assholes, but there are some ridiculous things the umpires do. For example, the 14 year old ump working the infield called a force out at 2nd base, despite the fact that the throw pulled the fielder about 3 feet off the base when he caught it. Our coach asked the home plate ump for his opinion, all he was willing to say was that the infield ump made the call. After the coach gave up trying to get the home ump to overrule the call, the home ump walked up to the infield ump and said he was pulled off the base (sometimes you can read lips). I cannot understand why he let the collective ego of umps get in the way of making the right call.

Another time a kid I know admitted that he screwed up a game by calling a force out when it wasn't actually a force out. He was admitting this to me the following day. I asked him why he didn't change his call, he had no explanation, I guess he didn't want to admit it was ego.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I'm not sure why the plate guy wouldn't overturn that call. If it's obvious and the coach asks for an appeal I"ll get together with the other ump and we'll discuss it and most of the time the right call gets made. As for the guy reversing his own call, I can see why he wouldn't. If you reverse your own call it opens a whole other can of worms. The coach you reversed it against will come unglued and then any call he made for the rest of the game the coaches would have questioned. I've seen it happen. Some times its better to just know you blew that one and move on. Umpires are human too :-)